dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] Problem using Gif Animator

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Problem using Gif Animator

For years I have always used Gif Animator (MicroSoft) for making my gif images have a transparent background. I see where I used Red as the background color for almost all of my images. It has always worked. Now I have an image where I have to use black but when I select black from the color picker it doesn't make the image transparent. Is it that black for some reason cannot be used as a transparent background

Re: Problem using Gif Animator

....and this has to do WHAT with VB6?

Open it in Mozilla or another browser. Is it transparent?

But what color you choose shouldn't matter. There should be no reason to be forced to use black. Not understanding that part, unless you are attempting to use black for some other purpose.

To answer your question, technically any color can be a transparent color within a GIF even if the color is also in the image, per GIF specs. This is because GIF colors are indexed based (black in the image has one palette index and the transparent black is a different index). Now maybe, just maybe if black is also in the image anywhere, the animator has a problem? P.S. I know nothing about MS Gif Animator. Do you have to set the image background color to black beforehand? Just a guess, sounds like something a GIF creation tool might have an option for.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Addicted Member

The image I am making with a transparent background is loaded into an Image Control which is displayed on a Form that has a picture on it where the blackground of the Form's picture is black. Now if I use, lets say, red as the transparent color of the control's image the image control only shows the control's picture and the red background is transparent so the black background of the Form's picture shows through. Ok, so far. Now at times during the program run the Image Control's Width and Height are changed making the Image Control bigger or smaller depending on things that occur in the progress of the game I am working on. The only problem is that at times there is a slight flicker when the control is changed and you can see a flash of red momentarily. This occurs once in awhile but it is distracting. So, I thought if I used black as the transparent color then the flickering wont be so obvious. Problem is I can't get Gif Animator to make black transparent.

Will all your gifs be single frame or are they animated? If single frame, upload one and I'll change the transparent color to black and tell you how to do it too (changing just 3 bytes). If images are multi-framed/animated -- then deal is off . The transparent color location (bit location in file) needs GIF bit parsing to locate the proper place to make the modification depending on whether individual frame color tables are used.

P.S. I googled for that GIF Animator and found just a bit of info regarding transparency. From the sounds of it, based off what info I saw, you can only select a color from the image you imported. So, if you choose black as transparent color the red remains red? If so, sounds like you need to see if that Animator app will allow you to change the color palette of the frame, so you can say that red should be black.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Feb 12th, 2019 at 05:28 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Addicted Member

It's OK now. I guess you have to select the correct black. I loaded the gif back into Gif Animator and selected black again (the same black I selected before). No luck. So, I selected another black, again no luck. By the way, there are many many black colored boxes to choose from. So, I just started selecting each black box one at a time and testing it. After awhile I was lucky and selected the correct black box. I think the problem is that the image has a lot of very very dark areas in it which are not black but look black. If this image was just some different colors but no black or blackish colored areas and only one black being the background I don't think I would have had this problem.

I believe this issue solved

Thanks for your help, LaVolpe