dcsimg

Thread: Maintaining updates to a dictionary so spellcheck recognizes new words

Sitting in an empty room trying to forget the past

Maintaining updates to a dictionary so spellcheck recognizes new words

This question has to do with spellcheck and its dictionary and the fact that my application is a WinForms click-once deployment.

The industry we are in is radio communications and like any industry there are words we use everyday that aren't in the standard dictionary. I have added a spellcheck to several controls in my Windows application where people type the service they performed for a customer. Right now, they can add words to the dictionary when a word is flagged red and it is actually correct.

The problem is, the next time I deploy, I wipe out the dictionary additions.

What we are thinking about doing is adding a form that only administrative access level users will have, and they can add words to the dictionary. The dictionary will get deployed once and then added to on the network and left alone so I don't clobber it. I am not sure how to do this. I don't know if I would just remove the dictionary files from the project, but I think if i did that the next deployment would simply not have them anymore. So how do I orchestrate admin users maintaining the dictionary?

Thank you.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: Maintaining updates to a dictionary so spellcheck recognizes new words

I assume as you are doing ClickOnce deployment that your dictionary file is being deployed be default somewhere under the application root?

If so then i would suggest moving it somewhere under the AppData folder.

This article i found might be useful

https://robindotnet.wordpress.com/20...konce-updates/
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

No, none of those is quite what I'm looking for. Maybe no one has ever wanted to do this. NSA's link looked promising but the problem is each user would have their own dictionary stored locally. So if I added a word to the dictionary like "opto", the next time I ran it would find it in my local file. But when another user runs, he would also have to add opto to his dictionary. I would like to add opto to a dictionary and have it then be defined to all users (that is working), and the next time the application was deployed have opto still be defined (that is not working. The dictionary people have been adding to would get wiped out each subsequent deployment). So this issue is how to have one central file, then "get it back" so I can redeploy it with all updates people have been making. Maybe that's crazy and not how dictionaries work, but it seems a waste of effort for every single user to have to maintain his own copy of the dictionary when they're all adding the same words.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Generally dictionaries are stored locally to the user, i get where your coming from about saved word being pushed out to all users but i dont think its considered a normal feature.

In Word if i update my own dictionary, it doesn't update other word users dictionaries in my company, and to be honest with some of the junk i fill up my dictionary with ( programming jargon) i don't think they would want many of my words.

I wouldn't waste your time trying to do this, i dont think it delivers that much value.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

OK, thanks for your input! I'm not happy but most likely you are right.