Thread: CPI inflation calculator

Frenzied Member

CPI inflation calculator

Last edited by dz32; Jan 21st, 2020 at 07:30 AM.

Re: CPI inflation calculator

Hi dz32,

At first glance, I thought this was an amortization/depreciation routine, and that possibly some of the built-in VB6 financial functions would do the same thing. You almost never hear those financial functions mentioned (FV, PV, Rate, etc.).

However, then I downloaded and took at look at the project. And you're actually using estimated inflation/deflation rates from 1667 through 2028, and that's sort of cool.

I suppose I'll still make a couple of suggestions though: 1) It'd be cool if you'd develop a bit of a GUI, possibly with starting year and ending year (and starting year could be either earlier or later than ending year). That way, we could see the value of a dollar at any point (past or future) estimated at any other year (past or future).

And 2) it seems that the CBO just estimates an inflation rate of 2.4% after 2023. I'm wondering why, for anything after 2023, you didn't just let it go on to infinity, using that 2.4% estimate for all future years.

Those seem that they would be nice improvements to this interesting project.

Take Care,
    Elroy

EDIT1: Also, just as another idea, VB6 has the nice feature whereby you can dimension an array to any arbitrary range you want. As such, it might be nice if you dimmed your rates array as: Private rates(1666 to 2028) As Double. That would just be a bit more in the spirit of self-documenting code. And also, then you could use LBound() and UBound() to check for valid bounds. Just thinking out-loud.
    Last edited by Elroy; Feb 8th, 2019 at 09:37 AM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Frenzied Member

[...]
    Last edited by dz32; Apr 26th, 2019 at 11:08 AM.

Frenzied Member

[...]

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by dz32 View Post
    vb6 is a gift that keeps on giving
    Here's another one of VB6's well-kept secrets.

Frenzied Member

[...]