dcsimg

Thread: Resize Dialogs in vb6ide.dll

Resize Dialogs in vb6ide.dll

Hi

Has anyone used ResourceHacker to make the vb6 file open/save dialogs bigger? They look so small on these higher res monitors!

If so, would you be able to share your new design so I can mimic your changes. ISTR this being available somewhere on the web many years ago but can't locate it now.

Many thx IA

s
    Last edited by SWo777; Feb 6th, 2019 at 04:25 AM. Reason: clarification

PowerPoster

Re: Resize Dialogs in vb6ide.dll

That's a good idea but the open/save dialogs don't seem to be located in either vb6ide.dll or vb6.exe.

It was nice to make the References dialog bigger though:

Resource Hacker is still maintained, updated very recently, and freeware: http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

It opens the dialogs just as they appear, you can resize and drag things around just like in VB. If you can make VB forms you can use ResHacker. Just modify the forms to your liking, click the green arrow for 'Compile Script', then Save. ResHacker makes a copy of the original before modifying it, but always safer to make your own backup just in case.

Many thx for this. Shame about the open/save dialogs though.

The vbAdvance Add-In should just do this all:
    http://vb.mvps.org/tools/vbAdvance/

Quote Originally Posted by SWo777
    Has anyone used ResourceHacker to make the vb6 file open/save dialogs bigger? They look so small on these higher res monitors!
    Which dialogs are you talking about? Those that prompt you to open/save a project or those related to the common dialog that you use in code? For the project-related ones, I believe if vb6 is manifested to be DPI-aware, the dialogs are larger. However, not all graphics in the dialog are scaled properly.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hi Thx for responding ... yes it is the "in-ide" open/save file dialogs I was referring to. Could you point me to a link wrt "manifesting vb6 to be dpi-aware"? (sorry if I have used the terminology incorrectly!)

Many thx

s

Hi Thx for responding ... yes it is the "in-ide" open/save file dialogs I was referring to. Could you point me to a link wrt "manifesting vb6 to be dpi-aware"? (sorry if I have used the terminology incorrectly!)

Many thx

s

Thx. I'll have a look at that.

Quote Originally Posted by SWo777 View Post

Many thx

s
    A project I created can be found in the forums, here. Not trying to push that project, but it has posts related to manifesting that could be of interest, specifically, in your case, jump to post #3. What isn't mentioned in that post is that sometimes, the only way to get VB to recognize an external manifest if all other attempts fail is to "touch" the vb6.exe, making its date modified change. There is another way to add a manifest by using apps like "Resource Hacker" that will go an actually edit/modify your vb6.exe file -- however, I choose not to mess with rewriting exes if a less permanent fix is available. And that less permanent fix is an external manifest file.

Do note, that there are annoyances when the IDE is manifested. Most notably is the loss of the color palette in the properties sheet. You still have the system colors, but no standard palette colors are drawn. However, VB does offer palette selection another way, via its IDE menubar: Edit | Color Palette

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Many thx once again.

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    If I made VB6 dpi (un)aware, all that happens is all the toolbar buttons and dialog icons get insufferably tiny, but nothing is made larger. Are others getting a different outcome?
    The size of dialog is larger. I think that was the gist of this thread. But, yep, @ 200 DPI, the icons are so tiny.

PowerPoster

Only makes it larger by about the height of a 16x16 icon for me, and only vertically
    But the bigger problem seems to be, that open project window isn't any standard dialog call I've ever heard of, so where's its dialog resource, or does it just not have one? Does vbAdvance make it sizable somehow too, or just the actual common dialogs in various parts of the IDE?

When I said the dialogs resize when DPI aware... Below is dialog @ 150% DPI and to the right, typical 100% DPI.

Name:  vbref.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  30.9 KB