dcsimg

Thread: VB6 code analyzer??

VB6 code analyzer??

I am working on old VB6 application which doesn't seem to have some code structure apart from the whole code is put inside one large monolith class(5500 lines to be exact).

Is there some free tool available on the Internets, to analyze the quality of the code and possibly get some conclusions?

Or I should be thinking for an upgrade to VB.NET instead?

Hyperactive Member

Re: VB6 code analyzer??

Quote Originally Posted by kutlesh View Post
    I am working on old VB6 application which doesn't seem to have some code structure apart from the whole code is put inside one large monolith class(5500 lines to be exact).

Is there some free tool available on the Internets, to analyze the quality of the code and possibly get some conclusions?

Or I should be thinking for an upgrade to VB.NET instead?
    There are code analysis tools but they tend to focus on things like unused variables, missing types, etc (http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...roject-Scanner)

From your brief description, it sounds like it just needs to be better organized. If the code works and is generally reliable, it may not be a wise to rewrite it.

PowerPoster

Microsoft had a code analyzer for VB 6 though I am not sure if it is still available nor if it could help you with what you want to do.

If you can find an old copy of MZTools for VB6, it has some cool analytical statistics you may be interested in. As for upgrading... I wouldn't. As long as VB6 works, something of this size at this point in time is probably best serve staying where it's at. It sounds like it would take a while to move something like that over to .NET. And it wouldn't be a imple upgrade. It would actually end up being a complete re-write more likely. At which point, you're more likely to be better off doing a completely new design and starting from the ground up.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

You might consider one or more of the products at http://www.aivosto.com/download.html

Many of these work for free for Projects of 10 files of less (including the VBP I suspect but probably not RES, FRX, CTX, etc.). Your case may well be small enough for that.

Or if this is important enough you can buy. Some of the tools would probably be a huge help even if you do choose to port to something else.

There may still be a few other vendors of this sort of thing out there too.

Addicted Member

You could try Rubberduck
    https://rubberduckvba.wordpress.com/

It's free and open source.