Thread: 3D Swimming Fish Algorithm

Threaded View

3D Swimming Fish Algorithm

Ok, this is an interesting one I'm working on.

I need to put together an algorithm that plots a random 3D path that looks something like what a fish's path would be in a fish tank.

I suppose another way to think of it is a screen-saver-type balls that moves around on the screen but always curves before hitting the sides. It would also get larger-and-smaller to simulate the third-axis.

In all cases, its range would be a bounded cube of arbitrary dimensions. I'd also like to control speed, but it could be relatively constant for any particular run. I'll think more about velocity once I get something up and running.

It'd just be a perpetual path.

Initially, I've thought of looking at some of the functions for French curves, or possibly adapting a Bézier curve, but I'm open to ideas.

I don't have any need to follow any particular function or algorithm, so long as it's a nice looking function. However, it will need to have a random component to it.

I'll keep exploring options, but suggestions are welcome.

Initially, I'll probably mock it up as a dot in a scaled picturebox.

Best Regards,
    Elroy

p.s. I know this may more belong in a math forum than here. But I know y'all better than I know any of those guys. And I also suspect some great ideas will be provided here. Also, they'll also be more in code form rather than pure math algorithms.
    Last edited by Elroy; Jan 27th, 2019 at 02:08 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.