Thread: Opening a DOCX with Office 2007

Fanatic Member

Opening a DOCX with Office 2007

Hey guys. I have a DOCX file and I'd like to open from my program.

I don't want to use the Microsoft Word Object Model because it's version dependent and I don't know which version the end user will have on his system.

I would like to use ShellExecute to open the file.

The code I'm using is:

ShellExecute me.hWnd, "open", strFile, vbNullString, vbNullString, SW_SHOW

This works well with every other document type but not Word files.

strFile is the full file/path name to the file so for example: c:\docs\mydoc.docx

I've checked that Word is installed and the file strFile is correct and exists and it's in Word format and all the obvious things.

What happens is that Word opens but the DOCX file does not display on the screen. This happens on every computer I'm using so it's not a problem with DOCX being registered and it also happens with older DOC files. Am I missing something? Any help appreciated.

Re: Opening a DOCX with Office 2007

I am on Win10 and my docx opened just fine, fully displaying the file. I'm using Office365

Is it possible that the file is in a folder that user of your app does not have read/write access to? Throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Definitely cache the return value of the ShellExecute call. That may help explain things. Here is the documentation if the result does not return a value > 32.

Also, can you post your ShellExecute API declaration?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Addicted Member

Can you open the word files using the "Run dialog" as follows?
    If "No", there is something wrong..., have you installed more than one Office versions?

Name:  ut.png
Views: 128
Size:  13.4 KB

MS Word is using DDE when opening files w/ ShellExecute, so you need to not terminate you app immediately after calling the API *and* you have to pump messages for DDE to complete successfully.

I'm usually using the sister ShellExecuteEx API to be able to wait until the shelled process becomes responsive like this:
    Code:
    Option Explicit

'--- for ShellExecuteEx
    Private Const SEE_MASK_NOCLOSEPROCESS       As Long = &H40
    Private Const SEE_MASK_NOASYNC              As Long = &H100
    Private Const SEE_MASK_FLAG_NO_UI           As Long = &H400
    Private Const SW_SHOWDEFAULT                As Long = 10

Private Declare Function ShellExecuteEx Lib "shell32" Alias "ShellExecuteExA" (lpExecInfo As SHELLEXECUTEINFO) As Long
    Private Declare Function WaitForInputIdle Lib "user32" (ByVal hProcess As Long, ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function CloseHandle Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hObject As Long) As Long

Private Type SHELLEXECUTEINFO
        cbSize              As Long
        fMask               As Long
        hWnd                As Long
        lpVerb              As String
        lpFile              As String
        lpParameters        As String
        lpDirectory         As Long
        nShow               As Long
        hInstApp            As Long
        '  optional fields
        lpIDList            As Long
        lpClass             As Long
        hkeyClass           As Long
        dwHotKey            As Long
        hIcon               As Long
        hProcess            As Long
    End Type

Public Function ShellOpen(sUrl As String, Optional LastDllError As Long) As Boolean
        Dim uShell          As SHELLEXECUTEINFO

With uShell
            .cbSize = LenB(uShell)
            .fMask = SEE_MASK_NOCLOSEPROCESS Or SEE_MASK_NOASYNC Or SEE_MASK_FLAG_NO_UI
            .hWnd = 0
            .lpVerb = "open"
            .lpFile = sUrl
            .lpParameters = vbNullString
            .nShow = SW_SHOWDEFAULT
        End With
        If ShellExecuteEx(uShell) = 0 Then
            LastDllError = Err.LastDllError
        Else
            Call WaitForInputIdle(uShell.hProcess, 5000)
            Call CloseHandle(uShell.hProcess)
        End If
        ShellOpen = (LastDllError = 0)
    End Function

Private Sub Form_Click()
        Dim lError          As Long

Screen.MousePointer = vbHourglass
        Debug.Print Timer
        If Not ShellOpen("d:\temp\aaa.docx", lError) Then
            Debug.Print "Error " & lError
        End If
        Debug.Print Timer
        Screen.MousePointer = vbDefault
    End Sub
    Basicly SEE_MASK_NOASYNC is required (this prevents spawning a worker thread in *your* process to do the child process spawning. . . Turtles all the way down!). Don't trust samples that use ShellExecuteEx w/o this flag.

The SEE_MASK_FLAG_NO_UI is common sense -- you don't want this API to show error messages but immediately to return error codes. You will show MsgBox from your app, so you don't want some unskinned dialog boxes from some obscure ShellExecuteEx API:-)).

The SEE_MASK_NOCLOSEPROCESS is needed to get child process handle to be used w/ WaitForInputIdle for smoother end-user experience of your app. Otherwise long starting apps like MS Word and Acrobat Reader will render your app responsive *prematurely*, while still no document window pops up from the started app. This might prompt the end-user to click your action button second time, not sure if the first click was acknowledged, effectively starting MS Word *second* time. . . You get the idea how messy the UX becomes, even if users "train" themselves to wait patiently, not to trust any mouse hourglasses you show, as to not trick themselves to double click your command buttons. . .

cheers,
    </wqw>

Fanatic Member

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated. I have been running all these samples inside the IDE. Nothing worked at all.

Finally I compiled the EXE and the compiled program works fine. Real head scratcher but I guess it's good to know that's how it works. On my system anyway.