dcsimg
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: No Deal

Re: No Deal

I heard mention today (on the radio show Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me) that the royal birth was received with such excitement because it was nice to see that at least one Brit was able to successfully exit something. That line was met with much laughter.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Is this the calm before the storm expected 23 May?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.1.0)

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

It has gone deathly silent over the last couple of weeks hasn't it. The only player who seems to be appearing in the media is Nasty Nigel (I slept through his Andrew Marr appearance but I gather it was pretty fraught).
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Nothing is happening which is why its quiet, supposedly there are cross party talks going on but we all know they are a nonsense.

As for 23rd MAY, even if as expected Nigel's Brexit party gets the most votes at the European election what does that Change exactly?

We cant even use the Euro election to get a clear idea as to the numbers of who is voting for and against Brexit as Labour are sitting so hard on the fence you could put there votes in either or both columns.

I feel like until something actually changes that matters i have kind of lost interest for the moment, it wont stop my voting but any conversation i have about Brexit just feels like a repeat of the previous.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Nothing is happening
    Ok just after i say that Something happened, looks like the Prime Minister once she loses her latest vote on the withdrawal agreement will set a timetable for her resignation, i expect she will be out now by the end of June!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Nah, we'll have a referendum on it first. Then there'll be a bunch of Therexit delays. Eventually she'll be left living a granny-annex at no 10 with no say in who does the housekeeping or where she's allowed to do her food shopping.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

At some point it must all begin to resemble a meaningless drama carried out for the benefit of the masses while the real governing goes on in some small smoke-filled room in Zurich or Brussels.

Your mistake is in assuming that real governing is going on at all.

PowerPoster

Yeah, call me an optimist. Reality might be even scarier.

Nah, we'll have a referendum on it first.
    Ah but our Theresa is firmly against a referendum, she said so many times...... and she has never ever ever changed her mind, or not done what she said she would or repeated a meaningless slogan.

...or held a vote then decided she didn't like the outcome so held it again...

She has run through wheat fields though

Hold the front page - stop the press! Labour have just announced that they have pulled out of Brexit x-party talks with the Tories - blaming the Tories as they wouldn't concede to labour demands (as if they ever would).

Well, that was always likely to happen - no surprise there then.

PS May has agreed her departure date (latest end of July) and a new Tory leader will be in place by the time of the Party Conference in the Autumn.

PPS Boris has announced he is standing as a candidate for the new Tory Party leader - definitely no surprise there!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Mrs May has now outlined, to great fanfare, her 10-point plan to rescue 'Brexit'...

"When the trumpet shall sound,
    And the dead shall arise,"

her 10-point plan
    1. Hold another vote without making any changes
    2. See 1
    3. See 2
    4. See 3

Is there a plan? I haven't heard a word in a long time. Frankly, it either baffles or amazes me, and I can't decide which. The cynical view is that once the deadline got pushed back, the sense of urgency went away and nothing will happen until the deadline looms...again. It just seemed like SOMEBODY would realize that was a really useless way to do anything...and yet...crickets...

It's looking like she's about to quit. Took a real hammering today.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Is there a plan? I haven't heard a word in a long time. Frankly, it either baffles or amazes me, and I can't decide which. The cynical view is that once the deadline got pushed back, the sense of urgency went away and nothing will happen until the deadline looms...again. It just seemed like SOMEBODY would realize that was a really useless way to do anything...and yet...crickets...
    We seem to be under the impression that a) the EU will cave if they feel under pressure and b) that constantly doing nothing and panicking at the last minute is somehow putting the EU under pressure.

So yeah, not entirely sure what the hell is going on really.
    Last edited by PlausiblyDamp; Yesterday at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    It's looking like she's about to quit. Took a real hammering today.
    Next week might prove to be the last days of May.

"They're ok the last days of May, I'll be breathing dry air..."

Last edited by szlamany; Yesterday at 03:58 PM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

This is nice also... In Greece yet - who would have thought! Brought it right back to the EU - full circle.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

No matter what those dude's say, we're fearing the reaper, man. Pass the doobie.

Well, the knives are seriously out. The 1922 committee have taken a secret ballot on whether to change the rules and allow an immediate vote of no confidence but they haven't actually opened the votes - they're holding it as a threat if May refuses to resign. Thing is, it's not even clear whether the 1922 commission has the power to allow that anyway so potentially May could still stick on like a barnacle.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789