dcsimg

Thread: Upgrading to Windows 10

PowerPoster

Upgrading to Windows 10

I'm running Win 7 Pro 64bit, got VB6 SP6 installed and working fine. Also go VS 2010 and VS 2015 running as well as MS Office 2010 and tons of other thing. I know VB6 can be installed and will work on Win 10. But to be honest I have no real need to upgrade and don't want to spend two weeks tweaking my machine. So my question is did anyone have any issues with their VB6 or projects when they upgraded from Win7 to Win10.

Re: Upgrading to Windows 10

I upgraded from Vista to Win10. I had no problems. Just ensure you do everything explicitly "As Administrator". And that includes opening the IDE every time you use it.

Do note that I didn't install the MSDN Library, so can't vouch whether that was easy or not
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

LaVolpe,

Thanks for the reply. Don't really need the Library, I don't do any development anymore in VB6 but once in a while I'll get a call from an old client that needs help. Just want to be able to load the projects and view and run the code in the IDE.

PowerPoster

Windows 7 SP 1 contained a number of time bombs for developers. Most of the problems seemed to involve ADO and various Common Controls libraries.

Programs developed on Vista or Windows 10 work fine on Windows 7 but the opposite isn't true. You may have to replace library references after you get off the problematic Windows 7.

Before to upgrade to Windows 10, also you can try to clone your HD into a virtual machine, then upgrade the vm.
    This allow you to discover the impact of the upgrade, on the meantime to make a backup of your HD.

You can create virtual machines for use with Oracle VirtualBox (free) or with VMWare.

To clone your phisical disk into virtual disk:
    Disk2vhd - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs
    https://docs.microsoft.com/it-it/sys...loads/disk2vhd

To use virtual machine, install Oracle VirtualBox or VMWare:

Oracle VM VirtualBox
    https://www.virtualbox.org/

VMware Official Site
    https://www.vmware.com/

PowerPoster

When I upgraded my first box from Windows 7 to 10 what I did was added a second Hdd then cloned the existing hdd to the new one and then upgraded Windows 7 on the new drive to Windows 10. The end result was a dual boot between the two both with the same software already installed. Seemed to work rather well for me.

PowerPoster

Thanks for the replies,

But like I said in my original post, I have no real need to upgrade. Cloning my disk and VM's are great ideas but I'm just interested in what effects the upgrade had on existing VB6 software (if any). If it's not a simple, download, install and DONE. Then I'll probably just wait till I buy my next machine. I already have a Win 10 Surface Pro but I spend 90% of my time on my Win7 desktop.