dcsimg

Thread: Create a setup package

Create a setup package

I've created a VB program for my on use that uses Crystal Reports. I use it on my Home computer (HP Envy 23 TouchSmart running Windows 10) and would also like use it on my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 that also runs Windows 10. IN VS2015 how do I build a package that I can then copy to my Surface Pro so that I can install the program?

Lively Member

Re: Create a setup package

The basic tool in Visual Studio is the Click Once.

If you want/need you can add the older MSI setup from Microsoft

Or you can try the limited InstallShield that is partly included with some versions of Visual Studio (not sure 2015)

Or you can $$ and get things.

This is not a VB.NET question. This site has a forum dedicated to Application Deployment and that's where questions about deploying applications belongs. I have asked the mods to move this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotrain View Post
    Or you can try the limited InstallShield that is partly included with some versions of Visual Studio (not sure 2015)
    There is an InstallShield LE for VS 2015 but I don't think that it is supported in the Community edition. Also, it is the last version. If you want to use InstallShield after that (VS 2017 or later) then you must purchase at least their Express edition. I guess that they felt that LE was not convincing enough people to upgrade to a paid-for edition and was possibly discouraging people who otherwise would have bought a paid-for edition.

Lively Member

When I tried the free InstallShield version included with 2013 it did not seem very good and I had problems getting some things to work. Just my opinion maybe I did not understand it.

I had the paid for InstallShield Express for a few years during vb6 was it? and liked it. But, somewhere around .net or 2005 was it? I learned the Microsoft Software Installer (MSI) that was included with VS and that worked fine ever since. Still working now. And of course it was free with VS where IS was $1000.

I dont make a real complicted setup but it does have a few fancy things. And my app setup has continued to work across Windows updates etc with MSI.

Finally, Click Once that is included now in VS has the funny folder locations etc so I prefer MSI to that although I really never learned or tried Click Once very much so??

And yeah, whats the old sayin, cant sell the cow when you give away the milk?
    Last edited by tommytwotrain; Jan 12th, 2019 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotrain View Post
    Click Once that is included now in VS has the funny folder locations
    That's part of the point. Because the application is installed in a user's personal folder, the application can genuinely be installed per user, rather than installed once and a shortcut provided per user. It also means that you don't need any special privileges to install or update a ClickOnce app.