dcsimg

Thread: What's this all about ?

What's this all about ?

Hi,

For a while now I've been getting a warning each time I open this forum, sometimes it adds another warning... the same one, so that I now have 11 such warnings, and I don't know what it's telling me, and I don't know how to remove them.

PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
    www.developer.com A Developer.com Site
    Oh... Now that I've previewed the post I see there's a URL included, after I've posted this, I'll take a look at the website, it'll probably turn out to be some sort of a scam or maybe an ad. for something.

Poppa.

PS.

Yeah, looks like an ad. looks pretty harmless, I still want to remove them though.

Pop.
    Last edited by Poppa Mintin; Jan 10th, 2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: PS added
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

Re: What's this all about ?

There are some bugs with the site since the last upgrade and, despite the fact that the admins have passed the issue up the chain, there doesn't seem to be much movement on a resolution. There have always been issues with the custom functionality associated with the HIGHLIGHT tag when an upgrade occurs but never quite this bad. It seems like those error message are related to those tags, so you'll see more of them in threads with more HIGHLIGHT tags, i.e. the tags that allow syntax highlighting of VB.NET code and the like. This also seems to be related to the issue where submitting a post causes the site to try to do it twice and you get an error message about having to wait about 29 seconds to post again. Never wait that time and post again or you'll end up with a duplicate post. There are some other threads in the Feedback forum on the subject.

Ah... I see.

Thanks John, I'll just have to put up with it until it's fixed then.

Poppa.
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Mintin View Post
    I'll just have to put up with it until it's fixed then.
    That's looking like it might be a while, unfortunately. Every communication on the subject from the admins that I've seen suggests radio silence from the powers that be. Apparently this is the only site in their portfolio that is experiencing the issue so it doesn't seem to be a high priority.

Email sent just now:

If we disabled/deleted/uninstalled the Highlighting plugin would the PHP Errors and Double Post issues go away? Or would doing this make a bigger problem?

Stay with it. Those double posts are the most annoying thing these days.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

As I kind of expected. If the plugin is disabled it fixes the two current issues but screws up thousands of existing posts...

<<<STAY TUNED>>>

What if someone just fixes the plugin? I mean... it seems like a fairly obvious solution... open the file... find the call to fetch_template() and change it to vB_template() ... save... done... or am I just over simplifying it?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    What if someone just fixes the plugin? I mean... it seems like a fairly obvious solution... open the file... find the call to fetch_template() and change it to vB_template() ... save... done... or am I just over simplifying it?

-tg

You are likely -not- oversimplifying it; however, [unless something has changed] the forums are a not a priority relative to the sites, so fixes tend to go to the bottom of the overall priority list.

Also - VBForums has always been a little wonky when it has come to fixes. It has never operated cleanly like the other forums owned by QuinStreet. Rather, it has always had its gremlins.
    Last edited by brad jones; Jan 11th, 2019 at 07:35 PM.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (My recent articles) (I wrote: Web 2.0 Heroes!) (My Blog) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------