dcsimg

Thread: .Net Core 3

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

.Net Core 3

Is anyone using .NET Core yet ?

I am looking into it for one of our new apps as we may have to host it on AWS with a Postgress backend on Linux, the back end is an existing system actually built in Java and we would be building a separate sort of add-on app in .Net

Obviously as .NET Core is cross platform i can create an Asp.Net Core project to do this.

I have read that the performance of .Net core is significantly better than standard .Net too so that is a plus also With Winforms & WPF finally moving over to the .Net Core in version 3 i am wondering if there is any real reason not to move all new development to .Net Core as soon a version 3 is out of the preview state and into full release.

.Net Core also packages only the libraries in the framework you use into the compiled application removing the need of installing any version of the .Net Framework for it to work which along with the load up speed issue was one of the main bugbears of the VB6'ers although i doubt it will make much difference to them now entrenched as they are.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Re: .Net Core 3

I'm not considering moving to .NET Core 3 until it has actually been released (not just beta). At that time, though, I do expect to try moving some pieces over. WinForms and WPF will not really be Core 3, though. They still will only run on platforms that support them, which means Windows. So, if you use either of those then you will be targeting Windows only. That's not a burden to me, though, so I do expect to try it out.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

We've used ASP.NET Core for our last two projects but only the latest one is .NET Core. We intended to use .NET Core for the previous one but there were some third-party components that didn't support it at the time so it wasn't an option. We don't do much Windows development any more but I expect that we'll use .NET Core for everything unless specifically instructed otherwise by a client.

One advantage is that you no longer have to worry about whether a specific version of the .NET Framework is installed, but it also means that you may end up with multiple copies of the same .NET assemblies installed. It also means that you have to rely on the application developer for updates to .NET assemblies rather than their being provided by Microsoft.

In our current project, we needed to create some utility applications that made use of the project containing our EF Core context. Because that project was .NET Core, the utilities had to be too. That meant that they had to be Console applications where we probably would have used WinForms. .NET Core 3 will allow us to use WinForms in such cases in future.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I'm not considering moving to .NET Core 3 until it has actually been released (not just beta).
    Of course i am the same waiting until full release

One advantage is that you no longer have to worry about whether a specific version of the .NET Framework is installed, but it also means that you may end up with multiple copies of the same .NET assemblies installed. It also means that you have to rely on the application developer for updates to .NET assemblies rather than their being provided by Microsoft.
    I have read that they are moving some stuff out of the main .Net assemblies that are 3rd party that where previously packaged if thats what you mean by application developer updates

In our current project, we needed to create some utility applications that made use of the project containing our EF Core context.
    Yes we do little if any Desktop development anymore but if we do they tend to be utility or admin apps with a narrow focus and its good that with Core 3 we will be able use it for all development.

WinForms and WPF will not really be Core 3, though. They still will only run on platforms that support them, which means Windows
    I know what your saying, they are not cross platform but they are now open source and part of the .Net Core 3 dev stack, and for me the bigger issue was about using a single dev stack for all development.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I know what your saying, they are not cross platform but they are now open source and part of the .Net Core 3 dev stack, and for me the bigger issue was about using a single dev stack for all development.
    Yeah, that's how I feel, too, I just don't want anybody missing that point. .NET Core 3 sounds great, but it might lead somebody to think that it will allow them to write truly cross platform desktop apps without using something like Xamarin or Cordova.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing