dcsimg

Thread: Windows Sandbox?

PowerPoster

Windows Sandbox?

Anyone looking forward to this?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...ox/ba-p/301849

Windows Sandbox is a new lightweight desktop environment tailored for safely running applications in isolation.

How many times have you downloaded an executable file, but were afraid to run it? Have you ever been in a situation which required a clean installation of Windows, but didn’t want to set up a virtual machine?

At Microsoft we regularly encounter these situations, so we developed Windows Sandbox: an isolated, temporary, desktop environment where you can run untrusted software without the fear of lasting impact to your PC. Any software installed in Windows Sandbox stays only in the sandbox and cannot affect your host. Once Windows Sandbox is closed, all the software with all its files and state are permanently deleted.
    I'm still not sure what gets exposed to the Sandbox from your base installation. Could be useful for developers though for testing binary libraries and such. Maybe not since you probably can't save changes and have to re-create your Sandbox for every testing session.

PowerPoster

Re: Windows Sandbox?

Ok, I stopped to read the thing. Probably not that developer-friendly after all.

Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise (required) is a deal breaker for many.

Sinecure devotee

I didn't read the article yet, but it sounds like something that I've kind of wondered about for years. Why shouldn't we have the capability in the operating system for any program we run be allocated its own disk space, memory space, etc... and not be able to access any others programs disk space or memory, unless some specific sharing agreement is setup .

I know there are partitioned operating systems like that in avionics to ensure that multiple programs running on a machine don't accidentally corrupt another programs working area, and a failure in one partition doesn't take down the machine and other programs running in other partitions.

I would appreciate that some random program is not allowed to scan disks or memory looking to collect what it can collect.

I guess I should read the article before commenting further. Got to get ready for work anyway.

Virtual Machines like Oracle's VirtualBox comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    That's a pretty [Removed by Mod] move by Microsoft. It won't affect me, but I can certainly see people being mad about this. Maybe MS will change their minds.
    Last edited by RobDog888; Dec 28th, 2018 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Removed the offending language

Virtual Machines like Oracle's VirtualBox comes to mind.
    Thats what I was thinking. I used to create xp mode vm's just for installing junk software I wasnt going to use for long. I didnt want to mess up my windows install. This will make it much easier for that as well as testing installation packages to deploy your software or beta versions of MS software etc
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Corsair H100i v2 water cooler, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 500 GB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2010, VS 2010

It relies on Hyper-V so will only be supported by OSes that support Hyper-V.