dcsimg

Thread: double reply error

double reply error

every time that i reply a post, why i get the double reply error that i need more 30 seconds for reply again?
    hey i just reply on that moment and not twices
    VB6 2D Sprite control

To live is difficult, but we do it.

Re: double reply error

ok.. i will try another way
    and i try it now and no error.. so was fixed or aleatory?
    VB6 2D Sprite control

maybe was aleatory
    Name:  Sem Título.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  37.8 KB
    VB6 2D Sprite control

If you took the time to read what's in that thread you would see that it happens sometimes and not others but it appears to be related to code formatting tags. The issue is unresolved and there's no indication that a resolution is imminent.

i'm using tags without know it?
    VB6 2D Sprite control

I feel that it is very likely that there are actually TWO problems with similar results. If you use the HIGHLIGHT tags, you WILL get an issue, which will be both duplicate posts, and a couple lines of PHP warnings at the top of the page. That has been covered pretty well. However, if you do NOT use the HIGHLIGHT tags, you will often get duplicates, but not the PHP warnings. The rate of duplication is roughly 70% in every forum other than Chit-Chat, where the rate is 0%. I have never seen anybody show any correlation between those duplicates and any particular action.

So, HIGHLIGHT tags will create duplicates EVERYWHERE, including Chit-Chat. No Highlight tags will produce duplicates most of the time, but will NEVER produce duplicates in Chit-Chat. Also, the HIGHLIGHT tags result in PHP warnings, whereas PHP warnings never result when there are no highlight tags.

This is the most annoying feature in the forum, at the moment, and I have yet to see any progress. The only consistent point for the non-highlight tags duplicates is that they simply don't happen in Chit-Chat. So, what is different about Chit-Chat? There are a couple things:

1) Chit-Chat posts don't increase post count.
    2) You can't rep a Chit-Chat post.

I'm not sure what else, and neither of those seem relevant.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I get the double post issue 100% of the time regardless of what's going on in the thread or it's location.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

almost the time i get the error
    VB6 2D Sprite control

Sinecure devotee

I have never gotten the double post if I select the "Go Advanced" option on the reply, but I usually don't bother as it takes awhile for that to initially come up, so I would rather just ignore the 30 second warning at the end instead.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I get the double post issue 100% of the time regardless of what's going on in the thread or it's location.

-tg
    You get double post warnings in Chit-Chat?

@passel: I may have to try that....though what will be even harder is remembering to try that, cause I haven't with this very reply. Moderators don't get warnings, we just double post, and it's probably higher than 70% of the time. The only reason you don't see doubles from me is because I go back and delete them. It's become such a habit that there was one time when I did NOT get a double post, but went back and deleted my last post anyways...oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    You get double post warnings in Chit-Chat?
    Apparently I don't post in chit-chat often enough to notice if i do or not, so I had to try first... apparently that's the one place it does NOT double post... interesting.
    But I do get the double post everytime in . the technical posts, even when there are no tags of any kind. EDIT - even in Forum Feedback as it happened just now with this post.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Sinecure devotee

Your post had Quote tags... unless you only included the quote after you got the double post.

It won't matter if my post has tags or not... I get the double post... period... I've even had in threads where there wasn't a single tag of any kind from anyone anywhere in the thread. If the tags were the issue, or even related, then chit-chat would also be affected, wouldn't it?

-tg

edit - as I thought... no tags in this post... and got the double post.

Sinecure devotee

Will it double post for me.

Sinecure devotee

Nope.

Sinecure devotee

There seems to be several conditions. It seems the longer the post, therefore probably the longer amount of time I spend on it, or the number of characters entered, will determine if it double posts or not.
    One of the conditions might be whether the "AutoSave" function kicked in while you were typing so that causes some "mode" change that will cause an issue. I noticed the "AutoSave" indication at least twice while I was typing this, will it double post?

Yes it did, while the previous two posts didn't.

But, I don't believe an edit to a post, regardless of time, length, or Auto-Saved events happening will cause a double post issue, so you could always do a quick reply post like "I'm going to post my answer shortly...", post it, then edit the post at your leisure and you won't double post.

There are ways to get around it, but I generally don't think they're simpler than ignoring the message about reposting. In the case of moderators, as Shaggy Hiker pointed out, it is more of a nuisance. Perhaps a work around habit (quick post followed by an edit, or selecting Go Advance when replying) may be a justifiable habit.
    Last edited by passel; Dec 18th, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

I see no pattern of any sort for posts without the HIGHLIGHT, for me.

PowerPoster

As many people as there are on this site that have such strong logic skills and still no one has found a pattern, makes me think perhaps it's machine dependent. OS, security, drivers, browser, ad blocker .......

But then it should still have a pattern, just different per machine. Don't know, just amazed no one here has solved this problem.

Sh or Anyone, does the amount of duplicates you get vary from machine to machine?

i use ad blocker, but i disable it for try. maybe or maybe not fix it
    VB6 2D Sprite control

Looks like I can now reproduce this before I never had this issue, and I use an adblocker (have had it a long time so it is not the issue)
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.
    See my browser project BeffsBrowser
    Try my new Browser project LightBrowse "A Browser and not much else" Screen Capture with Imgur API

Unless said otherwise (e.g. From one of my projects thus, those are mostly licensed under MIT) - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

testing...
    VB6 2D Sprite control

maybe it's the blocker...maybe not.. in time i will continue testing more
    VB6 2D Sprite control

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post

Sh or Anyone, does the amount of duplicates you get vary from machine to machine?
    I don't notice a difference from one machine to the next, though I haven't kept any careful track of it.

PowerPoster

I don't notice a difference from one machine to the next, though I haven't kept any careful track of it.
    You respond 22 days later, that's funny. Glad your not a fireman,

Seriously, thanks for the response.

I lost my voice for a week. That's my lame-as-can-be excuse, but it's the best I've got and I'm sticking with it.

new test
    Edit: i will not shoot, but with addblock disabled, for now, i don't get the error
    thank you so much for all
    VB6 2D Sprite control

I don't use any ad blocker, and I get double posts about 60% of the time.

I don't use any ad blocker, and I get double posts about 60% of the time.
    like i said, i can't shoot... maybe you have right, and sometimes we don't get it
    i use Opera browser with Windows 7
    VB6 2D Sprite control

Fanatic Member

Just to let you know, I have been having this issue too. No idea what causes it.

PowerPoster

This is still an ongoing issue for me; happens every single time and it's getting pretty frustrating. Using FF56 (last version before they ruined it by removing XUL support).

Also, not sure if it's related, but sometimes I get random 'PHP Warning' messages, especially on older threads, like
    PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197
    printed 5 times at the very top of the page.

You get the PHP warning if you use the [HIGHLIGHT] formatting tags (the VB button).

It's even more annoying for moderators, since we get both posts whenever it doubles up, so we have to go back in and delete our duplicate posts almost every time we post.

PowerPoster

Maybe modify the code to just ignore completely a second post attempt in under a couple seconds, instead of proceeding to run the error routine (or letting it go through for mods)?
    Is it an issue with this vBulletin version in general or with customizations made for here? It's been quite a few years since I developed a vBulletin site but I'd still be happy to try to help. (I co-founded and customized code for the still-going-strong scienceforums.net, but left after a year or two because I was a dumb teenager and got into a fight with the other dumb teenager I started it with )