dcsimg
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Thread: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

Quote Originally Posted by VB6 Programming View Post
    But even if people now refer to C# as just ".NET" (I see your point, but I don't fully accept it) that doesn't account for Visual Basic .Net climbing so high (the largest increase this month) to place it higher than JavaScript (which I believe is mentioned occasionally on the web) and higher than PHP, SQL, Objective-C, and many others - and ranking almost as high as Python and C++
    Yeah, I can't account for the rise in VB.NET. I feel that the drop in some of the others can be explained easily (though perhaps incorrectly), but a rise, especially one that sharp, is hard to explain. My first thought was that they had changed up their algorithm. The Visual Basic category has a whole lot of VB.NET in it because they split two of the categories 50/50 between VB.NET and Visual Basic. A sample suggests that the real split should be 90/10 VB.NET to VB6 (with a tiny amount of VBA). If they noted that, they might change the algorithm to shift more of those categories from Visual Basic to VB.NET, which would cause VB.NET to jump up and Visual Basic to jump down. That's the pattern we are seeing, but they didn't change their documentation about the breakdown of the categories, so there's nothing to suggest they did that.

Other than that, it would suggest a whole LOT of new pages on VB.NET. Considering the total number of pages out there, that seems very unlikely. To see a significant shift, the number of pages would have to be pretty large, or possibly the number of links would have to be very large, and neither of those seems likely from anything I have heard.

So...while I can make up a reason for drops in Visual Basic and C#, and I can even come up with a reason why VB.NET would rise sharply while Visual Basic fell sharply....I can't support the reason with any evidence.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    so, theres x7 more people using .net than vb6,
    but in this forum right now theres (556 Viewing) VB6 and (467 Viewing) .NET (no matter if its bots or not, its not about amount of people but activity)
    theres no equivalent on the internet that we can compare for .NET users, googling, this forum is the top place for .netters and vb6 users.

for me its strange that we have x7 more people using .net but you dont see them at all. are those people active at all? how do they share, learn, discuss? or .NET is that easy you dont need a community?
    on the other hand, a easy language would also mean u need less help, if the language is old and theres tons of help, you don't need to ask for help either.

im sure we can do the index by asking companies, but the majority of programmers are amateurs.
    This is something I was asking about earlier. VBF may well be the most significant forum for VB6 questions. It may be the ONLY forum that is active for that language. The same isn't true for VB.NET. In my experience, VBF isn't often the top reply for searches about VB.NET, so it is likely that the other active forums are absorbing a considerable amount of the VB.NET question traffic. SO is a big one, especially for people who want a .NET answer, but don't care whether it is C# or VB, and MS has some pretty active forum (though I find the format annoying, personally) for .NET questions. So, VBF might be the bulk of VB6 questions and a minority of VB.NET questions. If that's the case, then the pattern seen here isn't all that surprising.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Microsoft kicked VB6 questions off their "forums" a long time ago.

SO really isn't a great format at all. It was intended to act a sort of "wiki" of concise questions with concise answers, albeit more open than conventional wiki sites. It isn't designed for discussions at all, and there isn't much provision for any back and forth.

From what we see here, there are a lot of people who can't formulate a question well or even consume an answer. So many threads turn into long and painful Socratic sessions where people have to pull teeth getting the questioner's requirements and then once understood (?) answers often have to be restated several times filling in a lot of assumed knowledge. Sometimes other factors such as imperfect English or even machine translation enter the picture, just adding to potential misunderstandings.

SO really falls apart for that, but it was never intended to work over such "terrain." VB6 questions also tend to get a lot of .Net fan club snide comments there due to active trolling.

But I think it is also very true that the VB6 community is on it last legs. Much of what we see here today only came along after the UseNet groups for VB6 died. I presume one or maybe two pied pipers moved and that helped them overcome their decade long disparagement of web forums, Windows post-9x, and the wearing of shoes.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011