dcsimg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

Might be impossible, in that case. That would explain a whole lot. They may be paying a portion of the VB6 license cost to third parties, so a portion of the purchase price goes to them. That would make it pretty much impossible to either open source or make it freeware. MS might not care, but those third parties would have a straw in the pool, as well.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I suspect that a lot of things included with VB6 were licensed from 3rd parties, mostly controls. It might be a lot of trouble to get clearance to release them at this late date.
    I certainly don't know, but I do sort of question that. Do we think that Microsoft was paying third-parties royalties for each copy of the VB6 IDE it sold? That's difficult to believe (but, I suppose not entirely impossible). If they're not paying any royalties, you'd think they could set whatever price they wanted, even $0.00. Even if there were some licensing issues, you'd think that Microsoft would have unlimited distribution rights for whatever they were. I could see that as being a possible impediment to opening the source, but not necessarily forgoing licensing fees.

Just my two-cents. And again, it's all tilting at windmills.
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Hyperactive Member

I don't buy that "licensed 3rd parties" thing. If that was the case M$ would be the first to talk about it, even if just to shut down some voices.
    They just want people to stop using it, because they want one to follow the new (and more profitable?) technologies: SaS, Web Services rentings, and the like.
    Carlos

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Rocha View Post
    I don't buy that "licensed 3rd parties" thing. If that was the case M$ would be the first to talk about it, even if just to shut down some voices.
    They just want people to stop using it, because they want one to follow the new (and more profitable?) technologies: SaS, Web Services rentings, and the like.
    Well, what prevents MS from claiming just that to get rid of any headache?!

Fanatic Member

they dont want to give vb6 away because they know vb.net was a mistake.
    the second the source of vb6 is out, the community will start working on it and will surpass vb.net almost immediately.
    most be some stubborn old fart that is scared that vb.net is doomed if vb6 source gets out.
    so the best way is to bury vb6 and hope that people forget about it, by giving out free stuff to everyone.

Frenzied Member

Not only is VB.NET a mistake, the entire .NET is a mistake, only C# is correct.

Anders Hejlsberg left Borland and joined Microsoft. He not only affected Delphi, but also affected VB6 (making VB6 dead) and .NET. He has influenced half of the world's programmers.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Dec 10th, 2018 at 11:36 PM.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    they dont want to give vb6 away because they know vb.net was a mistake.
    the second the source of vb6 is out, the community will start working on it and will surpass vb.net almost immediately.
    most be some stubborn old fart that is scared that vb.net is doomed if vb6 source gets out.
    so the best way is to bury vb6 and hope that people forget about it, by giving out free stuff to everyone.
    Now we are talking

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    If they actually did make such an announcement, we could openly talk about how to make portable (easily copy-able) versions of the VB6 IDE, which isn't a difficult thing to do.
    ...allready done -> NanoVB

(..and I don't think MS really cares)

Quote Originally Posted by tubus View Post
    ...allready done -> NanoVB

(..and I don't think MS really cares)
    Well, that's not totally legal. And also, it doesn't cover any of the common OCX files that are often used. The way I use the VB6 IDE, it'd never be totally portable, but it could be very close. For my purposes, I would need to register (for development) a few of these OCX files.

Microsoft did distribute a VBC6.exe program (packaged as VB6CLI.exe) for a while precisely for re-registering these OCX files (for development). However, I'm not sure that program is still available. There are well known methods for getting this done, but we're again walking a fine line on exactly what's legal.

And, a point almost larger than what Microsoft cares, is what these VBForums care about.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

I used VB5 and VB6 since the 90s but I no longer use it professionally anymore as most projects at my job are website related. I still like to bring VB6 up every once in a while and write something needed where this is the right tool for the job but its getting less frequent.

VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Star Wars Gangsta Rap Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Corsair H100i v2 water cooler, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 500 GB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2010, VS 2010

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123