dcsimg
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 468

Thread: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

  1. #1

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    232

    No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    I professionally used VB6 in around 1998.
    I kept using it as a hobbyist into the early 2000s.

    This forum is very active.
    I'm very curious who is still coding with VB6 .....20 years later.
    Novelty or production programming fixes?

    Most places I worked for were obsessed with rewriting the code base.
    Are you guys working for firms that are the opposite?
    They refuse to budget for a rewrite, and your supporting 20 year old code?

  2. #2
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,843

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    I professionally used VB6 in around 1998.
    I kept using it as a hobbyist into the early 2000s.

    This forum is very active.
    I'm very curious who is still coding with VB6 .....20 years later.
    Novelty or production programming fixes?

    Most places I worked for were obsessed with rewriting the code base.
    Are you guys working for firms that are the opposite?
    They refuse to budget for a rewrite, and your supporting 20 year old code?
    I guess the answer is because we are professional and career programmers and not casual programmers.
    To be professional in the sense I'm saying takes many years (let's say 10 or more) with a single language.

    And about the focus of you question, I suspect that here we are mainly independant developers or developers working in small companies.
    The big companies, I guess mostly already migrated to some other language. For them it is just a matter of some numbers (spending some money).

    But we, as developers can't "migrate" 10 or 20 years of knowdge in a couple of months. We would lose our capital that is our knoledge.
    And on other hand, VB6 works just fine, there are not unsolvable problems that could force us to move to something else.

    Edit: and also because we like VB6 and there is nothing similar to replace it.
    Last edited by Eduardo-; Dec 8th, 2018 at 02:02 PM.

  3. #3
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    359

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    here are my reasons:

    1. I can accomplishing everything in VB6 needed to stay competitive with my software products
    2. I have met with many consultants on making the move from vb6, many have cautioned me that they have seen companies fail because they underestimate the work required for a conversion
    3. The extra layer that .net creates slows performance, and makes de-compiling easier ( mention this becuase it would be the fastest port from vb6)
    4. I am the only dev, I just dont have time if I continue to work on my current projects to keep them competitive
    5. I am extremely effective in vb6, as soon as I move to another language/ide the my performance is so slow and it becomes very discouraging


    Having said all that I am continuously looking for an way to evolve mainly for the reason of cross-platform options.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    12,929

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    I am much more familiar with VB6. It can do most of the things I need to do and I can do most of them faster in VB6 than in other languages, partly because of the language itself and partly because I already know exactly how to do it in VB6. I do use other languages as well but have been using VB5/6 since the release of VB5 and still use it more than any other language.

  6. #6
    PowerPoster Elroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Near Nashville TN
    Posts
    5,707

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    They refuse to budget for a rewrite, and your supporting 20 year old code?
    That's certainly a big part of the reason I still use it. Many of the other things mentioned are also sound reasons. The only distant limitation is the 2Gig (possibly 4Gig) memory limitation. However, that has never affected me in any significant way, and my primary project is very large.

    Also, something else I didn't see mentioned is its ability to just execute (no installation needed) on any Windows system since XP. And, even with OCX controls, the SxS technology works quite well. As opposed to the 16 (count them, 16) .NET frameworks, VB6 is an incredibly stable language.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

  7. #7
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    12,929

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Actually VB.Net apps are more likely to be just execute than are VB6 apps.
    Most of the apps I have written in VB.Net did not require an installer. VB6 apps usually do due to usage of one or more OCX controls that need to be installed with the app. Lots of my VB6 apps make use of Winsock and/or MSComm. The apps in VB.Net do not need an installer.

  8. #8
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    816

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    im using it because i like it, the best language i know and even if its old, it can do almost anything other languages can do, in windows of course.
    because of the typelibs i can now work with direct2d (thanks for The trick) and doing 60fps games that runs smoothly.
    im not working with computers or gaining money from it. i like doing it on my spare time.

  9. #9
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    176

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Microsoft never launched an upgrade to VB6. We wanted and expected one. Had they done so we would have moved to a VB7 and whatever followed it.
    If Microsoft bring out an update to VB6 now, we would move to it.

    Asking why people are still using VB6 is the wrong question. You should be asking why Microsoft refuse to update VB6.

  10. #10
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    20,551

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    There seems to be an assumption that people who write and maintain VB6 programs do not use anything else. While that might be true of a few hobbyists it certainly isn't all programmers.


    VB6 has a number of things going for it that help keep it as popular as it is. One of the most valuable and unique things is the long-term stability that falls out of its "at the end of its family tree" status.

    As long as you followed the rules of the road many VB6 programs written 20 years ago will still run without changes. If you take the trouble to make minor changes to comply with the evolving Windows ecosystem since then... even more VB6 programs can be made to run today at a very low cost.

    Many of the changes that can be expensive to adapt to in VB6 like High DPI aren't much easier using most of the alternative languages and language ecosystems you might port to instead.


    You can always name kinds of problems that VB6 was never targeted at. Sure, it can be hard to use VB6 for those. So what?

    You can find people demanding "an updated VB6" who don't understand they'd be in far worse shape if that had ever occurred. Just ignore them. Soon they'll move on to a new hula hoop anyway, then come back here and ask us why everyone hasn't followed them.

  11. #11
    Fanatic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    772

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Most of the programs I write are utility programs that I build for myself and anyone else that is interested. I tend to shy away from heavily graphic oriented programs because they are too time consuming. I started with machine code on early Accounting machines, moved to Fortran and Basic on mainframe computers, then moved to Assembler and Basic on early desktops. From there I moved to Visual Basic on PC's. Early versions of Visual Basic were very challenging in order to do the things that needed to get done, but gradually the versions improved to the point where VB6 was fast and easy to put programs together. I have taken a stab at "C", but that is only one step better than Assembler. VB.NET is far too slow and obese for my liking, and script based languages are far too restrictive. If someone can come up with a RAD language that produces tight compiled code, I would go for it. But until that happens, and as long as Windows remains the desktop of choice, I will stick with VB6.

    J.A. Coutts

  12. #12
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    172

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    I have a few projects (two of them are large projects) which I need to maintain!
    VB6 just works!

    I am using other languages but not as heavy as VB6.

  13. #13
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    313

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    [...]
    Last edited by dz32; Apr 26th, 2019 at 11:12 AM.

  14. #14
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,360

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Here's a "no troll" question in the other direction:

    What are the (legitimate) reasons I should NOT still be using VB6?

    I'm working on a large VB6 code base that still pays the bills 20 years on. I've extended it into the 21st century and the Web, while taking advantage of most of my existing code base thanks to projects like vbRichClient5 and vbFcgi. While I'm not 100% coding in VB6, it's still quick and effective use my existing knowledge and 20 years of battle-tested "helper" libraries to continue to develop new software in VB6. So the better question is "why not?"

  15. #15
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    176

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Even Microsoft haven't really moved away from classic VB.

    VB6 is still supported https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pre...support-policy and Microsoft have recently extended that support to include Windows Server 2019

    And VB6's sister language VBA is still used in Microsoft Office despite several attempts to replace it.

  16. #16

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    232

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Thanks for the replies.

    I can understand not wanting to migrate a massive legacy VB6 code base to newer versions of VB.
    This could become very complex, time consuming, costly, and can result in errors.
    Not a good cost/benefit for little upside from the user standpoint.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

    But, who are the users of your apps? In-house business use? Customers of packaged software?
    How do you release updates? Do you have them download a new setup.EXE ?
    This seems somewhat outdated. Everything has gone web enabled. And Windows versions have moved on.
    Maybe your legacy programs do not have frequent updates?

    Are you still developing on Win 98 or Win XP developer machines?
    However, I am surprised VB6 stuff still works on Win 8 and Win10.
    Not the client side .EXE, but the VB6 IDE dev.

    It has been many years ago, but I was forced to upgrade away from VB6 b/c I ran into compatibility issues on Win 8.
    Either my programs did not run, or the VB6 IDE simply did not run. I can't recall. But, VB6 would not work anymore.
    Maybe I lost the installation file? Whatever it was, I was no longer able to run VB6 programs at work. Either the VB6 did not work, or the apps did not work.
    Otherwise, I would have stuck with VB6 myself. But I was forced to migrate, b/c stuff stopped working on newer PCs.
    I've moved my projects up to VB.net 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015, 2017, and now VB.net Community.
    For one or two migration, I had to make some code edits, but mostly, it was just opening the same code in the newer version and re-saving it.
    So, I edited my projects (about a dozen or so, and they were small) and I have been using VB.NET ever since.

    As for upside, I imagine there are probably many new features to VB.NET 2018.
    The reasons for staying with VB6 b/c it's fast and easy all apply to the 2018 VB.NET.
    It can do anything VB6 can do, as it is basically still the same thing, 20 years later.
    Last edited by RipVoidWinkle; Dec 9th, 2018 at 12:02 PM.

  17. #17
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,379

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    As for upside, I imagine there are probably many new features to VB.NET 2018.
    The reasons for staying with VB6 b/c it's fast and easy all apply to the 2018 VB.NET.
    I can only give you the standard-response, we always give at this occasion:

    Please write a small application, which makes use of "a few of these cool new VB.NET-2018 features, VB6 allegedly does not have".
    Then post this VB.NET 2018 solution (in a Zip or on your homepage, or whatever you had in mind regarding "Web-Enabled" solution...)

    Many of us here should be able to replicate what you did in your solution, with VB6:
    - in probably less time
    - and probably less code
    - and probably better load-times and/or execution-speed
    - the VB6-solution then running (without needing a setup) on W2K, XP, Vista, Win7, Win8, Win10 (which would not be true for your VB.NET solution)

    <shrug>
    Hint: ... most of the .NET-users who made claims similar to yours (as cited above), bail out at this point -
    and I suspect that we'll see you doing the same...

    In other words - "don't make wild claims which you cannot back up with code".

    Olaf

  18. #18
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    12,929

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Just because someone does not write an app for you to look at does not mean the points are invalid. I have written numerous apps in VB.Net that can not be done in VB6 which is largely the reason I used VB.Net to do them. Of course I am not going to take the time to create one just to prove a point you can believe it or not but it is a fact. VB6 can do a lot for sure and it is possible to create apps that can run without install though some of them require a lot more time and code to do so. To date I have not had a case where I needed to create an installer for a VB.Net program, this is partly because I am using an older version and the required framework is already present on pretty much all target devices. One of the things I do a lot of is TCP. In VB6 I use the winsock control and need to create an installer. In VB.Net I use the sockets class and do not need to create an installer. Of course it is possible to get around the winsock control but writing code to use the dll instead but the winsock control is quick, easy and works well and I really do not mind creating an installer I generally do so for every project whether it needs it or not.

    As to the part in post #16 mentioning troubles with Windows 7 and VB6 there really is not a problem. There are a few things to be aware of. The desktop composition if on causes some issues in the IDE so it should be turned off when VB6 is running, that is an option on the shortcut. The IDE needs to be ran elevated. If both of these are true it works just fine. As for the apps created in VB6 the only issue I have saw is apps where they make use of app.path for files that need to be written to. On Vista and later program files is read only and the program will fail if it is trying to write to this directory tree. As long as you obey the rules the resulting exes work just fine up through the latest version of Windows.

    I am currently using a Windows 7 box for most of my development and Windows 10 for some. Have not experienced any issues other than the initial install process.
    Last edited by DataMiser; Dec 9th, 2018 at 11:44 AM.

  19. #19

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    232

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Does anyone here use VB6 on Win8 or Win10 ?
    What version of Windows does VB6 no longer work with?

    Now I remember why I was forced to upgrade from VB6
    I could not install VB6 anymore on Win8 machine.
    All machines at work went to Win8. Game over for VB6.
    Almost positive that was the reason.

    So, I moved to VB 2005 and had to make a few code tweaks.
    Everything in VB.NET is OOP.
    Once I did that, I just kept migrating to 2008 –> 2010 –> 2013 –>2015 –>2017
    which was a matter of Open/Save in each new version.

    I get the whole “it works for my needs, leave it”
    but am glad I don't have to jump through hoops to keep using a 20 year old IDE.
    For example, like not being able to run anything past Win7, which is now a 9 year old OS.
    Last edited by RipVoidWinkle; Dec 9th, 2018 at 12:14 PM.

  20. #20
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,379

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Just because someone does not write an app for you to look at does not mean the points are invalid.
    Well, to be precise - it also does not mean, that the points were valid ones (unless there is proof).

    Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I have written numerous apps in VB.Net that can not be done in VB6 ...
    Again - I don't believe that your claim is true (because - so far - I've never seen a VB.NET App which could not be done in VB6 as well).

    So, if no proof is forthcoming, the problem remains at the usual "your word against mine" - state.

    Note, that I did not claim, that one cannot replicate the same functionality of a VB6-App also in VB.NET.
    (so, it's not me, who has to provide proof - for a claim that was never made).

    So, "until further notice" (to be on the safe side) one should assume, that your claim was bogus (because evidence to the contrary does not exist).
    It really is that easy (with the "show code" thingy).

    As for "having to make a setup" (when a VB6-App is using the Winsock.ocx) -
    that's just another one of your assumptions, where you make a claim which does not hold up to reality.

    Olaf

  21. #21

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    232

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    It's not just a matter of VB6 vs. .NET
    Aren't you are stuck using an outdated OS in order to run VB6 ?
    That is why I migrated.

    What if you want to use some feature of Win8?
    Like using WiDi to project your screen to a Wifi projector?
    Are you going to be the dinosaur using a 50 foot VGA cable in 2018 ?

    How do you convince your employer that you must stick to Win 7?
    Do they keep old Win7 images Ghost just for your build?

    I guess it all sorts naturally.
    Anyone who has run into these issues will have migrated.
    Anyone who is still left on VB6 has not run into a use case problem.
    What is most likely reflects is that the person using VB6 in 2018 is basically living in a time capsule
    and is doing the exact same work for the last 20 years, in a time capsule environment.
    Nothing wrong with that!

  22. #22
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,354

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    I have written numerous apps in VB.Net that can not be done in VB6 which is largely the reason I used VB.Net to do them. Of course I am not going to take the time to create one just to prove a point you can believe it or not but it is a fact.
    Rephrase you. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean the points are valid.

    As for the apps created in VB6 the only issue I have saw is apps where they make use of app.path for files that need to be written to.
    Don't other non-VB6 apps have the same problem?

    I think one should use the instrument which fits the task. I consider nobody selects VB.NET (that's impossible) or VB6 to write a kernel-mode driver for practical usage, the most of us select C/C++. Few of us select VB.NET/VB6 to write a VST plugin, most of us will use C/C++. I wrote the points i like that tool nor VB.NET nor others have all of them.

  23. #23
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,843

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    Are you still developing on Win 98...
    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    Does anyone here use VB6 on Win8 or Win10 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    but am glad I don't have to jump through hoops to keep using a 20 year old IDE.
    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    For example, like not being able to run anything past Win7, which is now a 9 year old OS.
    It is hard to believe that you are not trolling, but if you say so...

  24. #24

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    232

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Vb6 !
    Last edited by RipVoidWinkle; Dec 9th, 2018 at 12:34 PM.

  25. #25
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    359

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    I would say there are two possibilies.

    1. trolling

    2. RipVoidWinkle your projects are extremely small and for internal use only

    WP

  26. #26

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    232

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    It is hard to believe that you are not trolling, but if you say so...
    You can call me a troll, or you can actually answer which OS you are running?
    Question is still open. What version of Windows did VB6 stop working with ?
    I think it was Win 8. Does that mean everyone here is running Win 7 at work ?
    Real question. How does the IT dept allow for that ? Security issues, deployment issues, etc.

  27. #27

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    232

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Yes, my projects are small and I made it clear that I understand the complexity of migrating legacy code.
    For me, it came down to having to use Win8 at work, so I had to move to VB 2005 many years ago.

    But, if you think VB6 can do everything .NET can ....you are missing the OOP paradigm.
    Last edited by RipVoidWinkle; Dec 9th, 2018 at 12:41 PM.

  28. #28
    Frenzied Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,843

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    You can call me a troll, or you can actually answer which OS you are running?
    Question is still open. What version of Windows did VB6 stop working with ?
    I think it was Win 8. Does that mean everyone here is running Win 7 at work ?
    Real question. How does the IT dept allow for that ? Security issues, deployment issues, etc.
    Windows 3.11 for WorkGroup

  29. #29
    PowerPoster ChrisE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Frankfurt
    Posts
    2,058

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    You can call me a troll, or you can actually answer which OS you are running?
    Question is still open. What version of Windows did VB6 stop working with ?
    I think it was Win 8. Does that mean everyone here is running Win 7 at work ?
    Real question. How does the IT dept allow for that ? Security issues, deployment issues, etc.
    I use VB6 with XP or Win7, alot of people here also use VB6 with Win 8 or 10
    Last edited by ChrisE; Dec 9th, 2018 at 12:50 PM.
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

  30. #30
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    34,099

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    The chances that this would not turn into a troll thread were pretty nearly zero right from the start. I don't think anybody should be too surprised to see this turn into more emotion than anything else. After all, as Olaf alluded to, as long as you have a sufficiently capable language, there is pretty much nothing that can't be written in one if it can be written in another. Any mainstream language is sufficiently capable that it is possible for a person to say, "If I can't do it in this language, then I won't do it at all." Essentially, even if there IS something that you can't do in that language, there are so many other things you CAN do that you can spend an entire career without ever venturing into that small set that you can't do. That means that any sufficiently capable language is a good enough choice for a career, and that's ultimately all that matters. Beyond that, people get emotional attachments. I feel that such attachments are good, but only if they are not too strong. After all, it's just a language.

    One of the points about VB6 is that it isn't changing. If you knew it in 98, it's still the same today. That can be powerfully useful. The .NET language is pretty nearly slowing it's rate of change, too. I don't feel that much truly useful has been added since 4.0 (VS2010), but a whole lot HAS been added, so if a person really likes one of those new features....that's up to them. I guess I could pretty much say that all the way back to 2.0, but I'll stick with 4.0. That may all be changing, now. Every modern browser will run WASM, and there is now a tool to write .NET for that. I'm not sure how I feel about that, at this point. While I like the idea of a far more functional web, it also muddies the water in some ways.

    That's my ultimate point: VB6 is what it is. If you love it, that's great, cause it is likely to stay as it is for a pretty long time. If you have a current career, and are middle aged, you may well make it to retirement before that particular rug gets pulled out from under you. However, it also isn't changing, and the world is. There's a comfort in that...and a cost. There will probably never be a WASM compiler for VB6, as there already is for .NET. Does that matter? Well.....that's the problem with change, you just never quite know....
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  31. #31
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,379

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    It's not just a matter of VB6 vs. .NET
    Aren't you are stuck using an outdated OS in order to run VB6 ?
    No - most of the professional VB6-users of this forum (who are developing and maintaining VB6 Apps to this day "at work"),
    are using the VB6-IDE directly on a Win10-OS.

    Did you not read the replies, which already told you that?

    And (as already mentioned too in this thread) - the compiled VB6-Apps one deploys, are working on Win10 as well
    (without any Setup, as true portable Apps, when one is using the appropriate regfree-instantiation-techniques).

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    Anyone who is still left on VB6 has not run into a use case problem.
    That might be due to the fact, that MS is still officially supporting the VB6-Runtime even on their latest Desktop- and Server-OSes
    (Win10 and Windows-Server 2019).

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    What is most likely reflects is that the person using VB6 in 2018 is basically living in a time capsule
    and is doing the exact same work for the last 20 years, in a time capsule environment.
    Hmm - for "not trolling" - that reply of yours comes pretty close IMO.

    As already said - you are "bailing out" - not providing us with any examples of "your modern work in VB.NET 2018" -
    (which would put us - who allegedly "live in a time-capsule" - to shame).

    Until you do so, your claim is to be dismissed as "just another wrong assumption from somebody who does not know enough (yet)".

    Olaf

  32. #32

  33. #33
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    176

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    You can call me a troll, or you can actually answer which OS you are running?
    Question is still open. What version of Windows did VB6 stop working with ?
    I think it was Win 8. Does that mean everyone here is running Win 7 at work ?
    Real question. How does the IT dept allow for that ? Security issues, deployment issues, etc.
    VB6 works fine on Windows 10, just as it did on all versions back to Windows 95.
    So you have to go back to, as Eduardo says, Windows 3.11 to find a version of Windows that VB6 doesn't run on.

    That applies to both VB6 applications and the VB6 IDE.

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/pre...support-policy

  34. #34

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    232

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    As already said - you are "bailing out" - not providing us with any examples of "your modern work in VB.NET 2018" -
    (which would put us - who allegedly "live in a time-capsule" - to shame).
    Every one of my .NET projects is OOP.
    It is a paradigm that can not be done in VB6.

  35. #35
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    172

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    Vb6 !
    You changed your post where you agreed to play

    You posted a small program which draws 1000 circles dynamically in random positions on the screen and it was lengthy compared to whatever VB6 equivalent and performance was poor too according to the video/animated GIF you posted along with the VB.NET code snippet!

    I was going to post a VB6 (Native VB6 and another one with one API) but never mind

  36. #36

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    232

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    I had to stop using VB6 for some reason and I can't recall anymore.
    Otherwise, I probably would not have bothered upgrading from VB6.

    If VB6 can run on Win8 and Win10, then the OS was not it.

    I wish I could remember the roadblock I had
    Maybe I lost the VB6 installation disks? Or the license key?

    Something made me realize, screw it, I will just move up to Visual Basic Express 2005.
    Since 2005 had a migration tool. I had to clean up some of the weird translation migration.
    After that, I was able to Open/Save in 2008 and 2010.
    Then I was current, and I never looked back.

    I do agree the stuff I do can also be coded in VB6.
    But, I vastly prefer the modern IDE and OOP.
    Last edited by RipVoidWinkle; Dec 9th, 2018 at 01:22 PM.

  37. #37

    Thread Starter
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    232

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Yea, that was not a good example.
    I tried to think of what aspects of the code I had to migrate to .NET.
    The graphics was one, but was simple enough to also be done in VB6.
    Mostly it was compliance to OOP that had to be corrected. Forget the details.
    Once I moved to 2005, I never had to tweak again.

  38. #38
    Hyperactive Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    359

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    RipVoidWinkle:

    in my opinion

    if you are still a committed disciple of academia based OOP then you will one day realize you may have been wrong.

    https://medium.com/@cscalfani/goodby...g-a59cda4c0e53

    Object composition or interfaces can be used instead of inheritance and results in easier to understand code.

    Even without inheritance, this does not limit functionality on any front.


    WP

  39. #39
    Addicted Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    172

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    Yea, that was not a good example.
    I tried to think of what aspects of the code I had to migrate to .NET.
    The graphics was one, but was simple enough to also be done in VB6.
    Mostly it was compliance to OOP that had to be corrected. Forget the details.
    Once I moved to 2005, I never had to tweak again.
    No problem.

  40. #40
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,379

    Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    Every one of my .NET projects is OOP.
    So, you do have some of those "modern projects" available on disk - ready to just zip-up and post here, do you?

    Quote Originally Posted by RipVoidWinkle View Post
    It is a paradigm that can not be done in VB6.
    You err again in that assumption - nearly all OOP-patterns can be done also in VB6
    (including inheritance, if you use typelibs in conjunction with lightweight COM-objects).

    Again - post code for a great VB.NET Demo-App, which shows us the advantages of OOP (as you understand it) to the full extent.

    Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; Dec 9th, 2018 at 01:35 PM.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Featured


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width