dcsimg

Thread: vb6 convertor (anyone tried it)

Hyperactive Member

vb6 convertor (anyone tried it)

Hello Group,

I have heard it before, it is probably better to re-write a program than to try to convert it from vb6 to whatever other language. Having said that, I feel I want to see for myself. with over 200,000 lines of code in my 3 large projects I just think attempting a convert would be a good experiment.

I am going to start with the 30k LOC project.

My question to everyone here is have you ever used either of these?

http://www.vbto.net/
    http://www.deluxsoftware.com/

I have tried the demos but because they limit the LOC there is really no way to know how each will perform.
    I will be attempting to go from VB6 to Delphi and then importing the delphi code into Lazarus.

Anyone that has tried this please give some feedback

Thanks

Addicted Member

Re: vb6 convertor (anyone tried it)

Nightmare!
    Be ready for all kind of surprises!

My company had a bad experience with one converter (I am not sure of its name) as it was a few years back and I was not the one using it as they hired a C# guy to do the job and get the converted project up and running.

Long story short he failed and wanted to do it from scratch, I left the company and to be honest I am not sure if they still use and maintain the VB6 application or did the transition!

On the personal level I tried VBto demo with a small project and I was no happy!

If you are very familiar to your target language then my advice is to rewrite it instead
    Last edited by labmany; Dec 8th, 2018 at 06:24 PM.

Hi axisdj,

To answer your question, "no", I haven't tried any of these recently. Early on I tried them, and the results were disastrous. Since then, I've just stuck with VB6 and never looked back.

Not to re-direct your thread, but, if you don't mind, let me ask why you want to convert? Are you trying to transition to platforms beyond Windows?

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Frenzied Member

I'm on another difficult road to migration:

Client-Side: Win-Desktop ---> Web ---> Mobile
    Server-Side: Lan-Server ---> WebServer ---> Cloud-Server