PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197

PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197

VS 2008 Publishing Video Application-VBForums

Thread: Publishing Video Application

Publishing Video Application

I developed a Video-Tutorial Window Application that allow users ( Students) to watch Lecture Videos. These videos are pre-loaded into the Application. Once they Install the Application they click the menu, see list of videos and select the one to watch. I used Visual Studio 2008 express. the language is VB.

The Problem:

The Application is working well. But when I publish it, The Videos do not go along with the published Application. The Application will be functioning but the Videos wont play.

REQUIRED:

What can I do for the Published Application to play those Videos?

Thanks.

Re: Publishing Video Application

Why do you think they should have? What did you do to make that happen? If you don't tell us what you did, we can't tell you what was wrong with it.

I'm assuming that you mean that you're using ClickOnce when you talk about publishing. In that case, what you probably should be doing is adding the video files to the project in the Solution Explorer by selecting Add -> Existing Item. You then ensure that the Build Action property for that item is set to Content and the Copy To Output Directory property is set to Copy If Newer. Rebuild the project and then open the Publish page of the project properties and check that the Application Files includes those video files and, if not, add them manually.

Note that, if you want to, you can add a folder to the project first and then add the video files to that folder, all in the Solution Explorer. That subfolder will then be created in the output too, and you would use that subfolder in the path when loading the files at run-time. Note that, if the video files are in or under the program folder then you should be using Application.StartupPath as the folder path root, e.g.
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim videoFilePath = Path.Combine(Application.StartupPath, "SomeVide.avi")
    or, if using a subfolder:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim videoFilePath = Path.Combine(Application.StartupPath, "Subfolder\SomeVide.avi")
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

By the way, unless you are required to stick with what you have for compatibility, I recommend upgrading from VB Express 2008 to VS Community Edition 2017. Up to 2010, the Express editions were the free option, but had a significantly reduced feature set and each one was limited to certain application types or language. Since 2012, the Community edition has been the free option and it has virtual parity with the Professional edition as far as features and language support are concerned. There's generally not much reason to not use the latest version as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Why do you think they should have? What did you do to make that happen? If you don't tell us what you did, we can't tell you what was wrong with it.

I'm assuming that you mean that you're using ClickOnce when you talk about publishing. In that case, what you probably should be doing is adding the video files to the project in the Solution Explorer by selecting Add -> Existing Item. You then ensure that the Build Action property for that item is set to Content and the Copy To Output Directory property is set to Copy If Newer. Rebuild the project and then open the Publish page of the project properties and check that the Application Files includes those video files and, if not, add them manually.

Note that, if you want to, you can add a folder to the project first and then add the video files to that folder, all in the Solution Explorer. That subfolder will then be created in the output too, and you would use that subfolder in the path when loading the files at run-time. Note that, if the video files are in or under the program folder then you should be using Application.StartupPath as the folder path root, e.g.
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim videoFilePath = Path.Combine(Application.StartupPath, "SomeVide.avi")
    or, if using a subfolder:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim videoFilePath = Path.Combine(Application.StartupPath, "Subfolder\SomeVide.avi")
    Thank you so Much. The Suggestion you gave earlier works. Am grateful. However Sir, The Challenge is that the user can open that folder and copy those videos and play them outside the App. This will defeat the purpose. I used another method which is ADDING THE VIDEOS IN THE RESOURCE FILE. The problem is tht the Resource couldnt hold all the videos. It gave error with a report that the MEMORY IS FULL.

REQUIRED:
    1. Is there a way I can expand the resources memory to accommodate all the videos (about 10gb, 100 videos) (If am to use the Resource file method) or
    2. Is there a way I can Hide OR Encrypt OR Password or Deny Access to that Video SubFolder (if am to use your method above) .

Thanks.

Again, show us what you did and indicate exactly what happened and where. Your description is too vague. We don't know whether it's a genuine issue with your data or just that you used the wrong code. You shouldn't expect us to show you how to do something from scratch when you already have code to do it because it may be that you are already 99% of the way there and the code you have just needs a tweak. If what you have is completely wrong then at least we get a glimpse into your thought process and can tell you where you're going wrong there so you don't make similar mistakes in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by EngrChid View Post
    Thank you so Much. The Suggestion you gave earlier works. Am grateful. However Sir, The Challenge is that the user can open that folder and copy those videos and play them outside the App. This will defeat the purpose. I used another method which is ADDING THE VIDEOS IN THE RESOURCE FILE. The problem is tht the Resource couldnt hold all the videos. It gave error with a report that the MEMORY IS FULL.

REQUIRED:
    1. Is there a way I can expand the resources memory to accommodate all the videos (about 10gb, 100 videos) (If am to use the Resource file method) or
    2. Is there a way I can Hide OR Encrypt OR Password or Deny Access to that Video SubFolder (if am to use your method above) .

Thanks.
    lol 10 GB in resource files you ever seen a exe thats 10 GB big? you have to load all that up into ram everytime some people won't even have 10 GB on their system.

Best bet is to compress the video files a bit more with some newer codec to save even more space

I didn't notice the 10 GB part. Yeah, that will be a problem. Maybe a password-protected ZIP file or the like.

Again, show us what you did and indicate exactly what happened and where. Your description is too vague. We don't know whether it's a genuine issue with your data or just that you used the wrong code. You shouldn't expect us to show you how to do something from scratch when you already have code to do it because it may be that you are already 99% of the way there and the code you have just needs a tweak. If what you have is completely wrong then at least we get a glimpse into your thought process and can tell you where you're going wrong there so you don't make similar mistakes in the future.
    Sir; Thanks for your time and helps. However, what i am having is not coding issue. All my Codes are working well. It is only the Placement of the videos that is the Problem.
    Here is more insight:
    I am building a window App to let students watch lecture tutorials. The Videos are about 100 in number, weighing about 10GB. I dont want the students to copy the video out of the App to watch. So I put them in the Resources. But when I build it, It gives MEMORY FULL error. If I use external folder after building and Publishing, The Video-Folder can be accessed by the user.

QUESTION: How can I put these videos so that they become inaccessible except through my Application?

I didn't notice the 10 GB part. Yeah, that will be a problem. Maybe a password-protected ZIP file or the like.
    Thank So much. This exactly the Question am asking. HOW can i password-protect Zip the videos or the Video-folder?
    Help Please

Thank So much. This exactly the Question am asking. HOW can i password-protect Zip the videos or the Video-folder?
    Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by EngrChid View Post
    Help Please
    That's not a VB.NET question. That's something you would do outside of VS. The thing is though, if you are using a password-protected ZIP file then you're going to have to change your code to use the video files because you're going to have to extract them from the ZIP file first and save them somewhere before you can play them. You'd probably want to save them to the Temp folder and then delete them afterwards. Also, ZIP functionality was only added to .NET in version 4.5 and I'm not sure passwords are supported, so you would have to use a third-party component that does offer that support. I'm not sure but I think that both SharpZipLib and DotNetZip so, so you might want to look into using one of those.