Thread: [RESOLVED] Delete Query Slow and Optimization In SQL Server

Resolved [RESOLVED] Delete Query Slow and Optimization In SQL Server

Hi All,

I have this delete query called in a C# that will delete records based on DataID. DataID is GUID in the DB. The fact is it is super slow (30 mins-40 mins)
    Code:
    Query.AppendLine("DELETE  ");
    Query.AppendLine("FROM  [dbo].[tblAttachments]");
    Query.AppendLine("WHERE ");
    Query.AppendLine(string.Format("  DataID Not In({0}) ", DataIDList));
    I manage to improve it using batch delete concept. Took only 9 mins. to finish.
    Code:
                Query.AppendLine(" DECLARE @Rowcount INT ");
                Query.AppendLine(" SET @Rowcount = 1");
                Query.AppendLine(" WHILE @Rowcount > 0 ");
                Query.AppendLine(" BEGIN");
                Query.AppendLine("   DELETE Top (20) FROM [dbo].[tblAttachments] WHERE");
                Query.AppendLine(String.Format("  DataID Not In({0}) ", DataIDList));
                Query.AppendLine("   SET @Rowcount = @@ROWCOUNT");
                Query.AppendLine(" END");
    Is there a way to improve the 2nd query(batch delete) to lessen the time of delete?

Other Details:
    * DB is MSSQL
    * Added Index to DataID
    * Number of Rows: 2,687
    * Expected Rows after delete: 394
    * The table has a binary field that stores the attachments. (huge attachments)
    * DataIDList is a string builder variable with 68 GUID DataID.
    '67A69794-F41B-4DDE-8C87-B09585ED5BBB','2285E0B3-0FD7-46FC-A768-66EB03BCF2F7','6E2FFDDC-9999-4680-B064-A1CE4A81DFB4', and so on....

Regards,

KGC
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Delete Query Slow and Optimization In SQL Server

I'm guessing the problem is that "In" Where clauses are non-sargable. Do you have an index on DataID? If so, check the execution plan and you'll probably see the index is not being used. I'm willing to bet you'll see a full table scan or possibly a full scan on the clustered index.

There would be a few possible solutions to that and selecting the right one will be very situational but I think my first punt would be something like this:-
    At the moment you're using a NOT IN so you know the values you wan to keep. Instead, can you get at the values you don't want to keep - the ones you want to delete?
    Put those into a temp table with an index on it
    Delete from the primary table based on a join:-

Code:
    Delete A
    From #IDsToDelete D
    Join tblAttachments A
       on D.DataID = A.DataID
    This will be able to use the indexes on both tables and should be fast.

The issue is going to be how to get those ids into a temp table in the first place. First I'd try the simple approach:-
    Code:
    Select DataID
    Into #IDsToDelete 
    From tblAttachments 
    Where DataID not in ({0})
    I'm not really expecting that to perform well though. If the Where clause didn't perform in your original delete statement I doubt it'll perform well for a Select Into either. so the next thing I'd try is inserting those "Keep" values into a temp, table of their own and using an Except to populate #IDsToDelete. I'm not sure what that will look like in your VB code but the sql syntax you're aiming to replicate is a multiple insert:-
    Code:
    Insert into #IDsToKeep
    Values (1),(2),(3)…
    This syntax lets you insert several rows from a set of values as a single statement.
    You then populate #IdsToDelete based on an Except:-
    Code:
    Select DataID
    Into #IDsToDelete 
    From tblAttachments
    Except
    Select DataID
    From #IDsToKeep

I think that'll probably be the fastest way of achieving it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

try this

GFld
    ----
    AAA
    BBB
    CCC

GFld
    ----
    AAA
    BBB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by szlamany; Dec 6th, 2018 at 07:05 AM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Something went wrong
    Attached Images Attached Images  

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Both of your suggestions to insert data to a temp table and then drop the original table is better. . Thanks FD and SZ.

- kgc
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

Re: [RESOLVED] Delete Query Slow and Optimization In SQL Server

I would have beat FD to the punch here - but the forum required me to break my post into individual Lego blocks and post them as pieces - forcing you to build the Millennial Falcon from memory - argh!

Don't step on a block in the dark - ouch!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: [RESOLVED] Delete Query Slow and Optimization In SQL Server

the forum required me to break my post into individual Lego blocks
    Have we got a character limit on the posts? I've never hit it and some of mine make War and Peace look like a Christmas cracker joke.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd