dcsimg

Thread: What is the purpose of an Abstract Class and is it used much?

PowerPoster

What is the purpose of an Abstract Class and is it used much?

I'm trying to visualize an abstract class in code examples and it's just not clicking. What are they exactly? Are they used much? What is the difference between them and a regular class?

Thanks,
    Blake

Re: What is the purpose of an Abstract Class and is it used much?

The 'abstract' keyword in C# is equivalent to MustInherit (class) and MustOverride (member) in VB. An abstract class is sort somewhere between an interface and a "regular" base class. In the case of an interface, you declare members that any class that implements it must have but you provide no implementation for any of them, so a class that implements that interface has to provide an implementation for each member. In the case of a base class, you declare members that any class that inherits it must have and you provide an implementation for all of them, so a class that inherits that base class doesn't have to provide any implementation at all, but it can if it wishes to override an existing implementation.

In the case of an abstract class, you declare members that any class that inherits it must have but you can decide whether to provide an implementation for each of those members or not. Any that you do not provide an implementation for must be declared 'abstract' too and then and derived class must override those members and provide its own implementation. Abstract classes don't get used all that much but as I said, they pretty much combine the functionality of an interface and a base class so you would use one when that's what you want, i.e. to specify all the interface and some of the implementation.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

An example of an abstract class is System.IO.Stream. Any type of stream (FileStream, MemoryStream, NetworkStream, CryptoStream) inherits from the Stream class but they all provide much of their own implementation because they all work with very different data sources, but there's also some commonality to the implementation in the base class.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

PowerPoster

That seems like a great explanation but I need to wrap my head around it still. Thanks JMC.
    Blake