dcsimg

Thread: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on Local machine

Addicted Member

The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on Local machine

Friends
    is this problem is solved in Visual Studio 2017 when connecting to access db

The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on Local machine

this error appear with me in visual studio 2015 i want try vs 2017 to rid this error

Re: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on Local machine

This issue is not about Visual Studio, because ACE is not directly related to Visual Studio - they are different products that can be used together.

In order to use the ACE provider, it needs to be installed. You can download it for free here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=54920

Note that you need to choose whether to install the 64-bit version or the 32-bit version, and whichever you choose you must ensure that your program is the same.

Re: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on Local machine

ACE is actually an Office component, specifically the Access database engine. The old Jet engine is basically part of Windows now but the Jet OLE DB provider can only be used to connect to old-format Office files, e.g. MDB and XLS. If that's what you're doing, use Jet. If you need to connect to new-format Office files, e.g. ACCDB and XLSX, then you will need to use ACE. It gets installed as part of Office 2003 or later but those without Office can use the standalone installer si linked to. In almost every case, you should use the 32-bit option. That's because almost every installation of Office is 32-bit, with only those who specifically need the few niche features that only 64-bit can provide using 64-bit. That's because there is a vast array of Office add-ins available that only support 32-bit. If you install 64-bit ACE then installing 32-bit Office later would be a problem and your application would be incompatible with those systems running 32-bit Office. You should install 32-bit ACE and configure your application to be 32-bit, which Windows Forms projects are by default.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Addicted Member

Thumbs up Re: The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on Local machine

Great Answer
    Thanks
    AMsi_the_geek
    AMjmcilhinney