dcsimg

Thread: Measurement Instruments

Measurement Instruments

Hello..
    I want to retrieve data from measurement instruments (like force measurement instruments, Voltage, etc...) then show retrieved data on a chart.
    However, How to connect to these instruments from c#?????
    Eng.27

Re: Measurement Instruments

There's no general answer to that question. It depends on the instrument. Any hardware that you get will have documentation that will give you at least some information about that. Often, you'll end up using the SerialPort class in .NET if you're going to be getting data via a physical or virtual COM port. There are various other possibilities though. You need to consult the documentation provided by the hardware supplier and then ask specific questions for each device if required.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

That is a pretty generic question. A very popular way of reading engineering measurement data from instruments would be to use LabView, however Labview also makes a program called Measurement Studio, which works with Visual Studio to add the ability to control instruments and collect data as well as display data on various charts and graphs. It might be worth you looking into, but it is not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Eng27 View Post
    Hello..
    I want to retrieve data from measurement instruments (like force measurement instruments, Voltage, etc...) then show retrieved data on a chart.
    However, How to connect to these instruments from c#?????

Quote Originally Posted by JimAvanti View Post
    A very popular way of reading engineering measurement data from instruments would be to use LabView
    Do you know how that works? Do they or the hardware supplier create an interface between the hardware and their software and then their software provides a standard interface for application developers?
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

It is from National Instruments
    http://www.ni.com/mstudio/
    That is exactly what it does. They have an evaluation version. It creates an interface for instruments, it has data Acquisition and many new controls for VS. as well as a bunch of charts.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Do you know how that works? Do they or the hardware supplier create an interface between the hardware and their software and then their software provides a standard interface for application developers?

King of sapila

At work we where trying arduino ( https://www.arduino.cc/ ) and Raspberry Pi (https://www.raspberrypi.org/) to control our remote server audio and video functions, that plan was aborted but these are heavily spread consoles that may work for your case. I don't think that arduino is as .net friendly as raspberry but is simpler to use. The one you posted, I haven't heard so I cannot compare but you should probably run the evaluation, create some test and post back here if you have coding issues.
    Slow as hell.