dcsimg

Thread: New Affiliate Business Website

New Affiliate Business Website

Hi guys, i am new here and i dont know where to ask my question so i am introducing myself here and asking my question. I am Henry from Manchester UK. I am a sales person on a respected brand for the last 12 years. I have always been very interested in internet and online marketing but never had a chance of learning about it. Now I am considering to use my sales experience online and make some extra cash with affiliate marketing. The thing is i am not an expert in these things and i was wondering if i can make a good business website with VB. My aim is to make an affiliate website for my business and i want to do it myself. I am unable to identify in which CMS this website is build. I have some experience in working on wordpress only. Please help me made a website like this thanks.

**Links removed by Site Administrator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**

Re: New Affiliate Business Website

**Links removed by Site Administrator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**
    It would have been better if you guys also answered my question.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

We're busy people (and unpaid volunteers for that matter) and often simply don't have the time to get into lengthy answers and discussions. I'm not sure which mod removed your link but it would have taken them a few seconds. Offering up a decent answer to your question takes much longer. So they did the quick bit and left your post in place for other members to help with. Fortunately I really don't want to do the thing I really ought to be doing today (producing a data dictionary for a reporting server - yawn) so I'm happy to chip in.

Realistically we're probably not going to be able to tell you which CMS was used to produce a particular website. There are dozens out there and the output looks pretty much the same for all of them. I'd suggest starting with a simple checklist of features you want on your own web site. Will it be a single static page or a more complex site with multiple pages and navigation? Are you going to need to persist information (e.g. taking orders, quotes etc) in some sort of back end database? Will you be embedding videos and/or linking to third party resources like YouTube? Do you want to tie it into Social Media sites? Do you want a forum? And so on and so on.

Once you've got a desired feature list just type CMS into google and trial a few out. Chances are that any of them will allow your entire feature list so just see which one "clicks" with you. The one area that's likely to limit your choice is if you need your site to be "functional", i.e. if you want it to behave a bit like a desktop application - just on the web. That requires code behind and probably a database. Not all CMS's are going to help you there.

The other this to watch out for is whether the CMS tool produces some horrible, proprietary, waffle-code. A lot of the CMS's out there are really just tools to tie you to some hosting company. They don't actually produce html that can be deployed direct to the web but rather some "middle language" that requires the hosting company's interpreter to translate into html - essentially they're trying to lock you in to their hosting service. You want something that produces html.

if i can make a good business website with VB
    That's sort of the wrong question. You make a web site with html. You use VB (and ASP) to add functionality to a web site - eg processing orders etc.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Nov 14th, 2018 at 04:26 AM.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by HenryShaw View Post
    Oddly, that may be the best response you could have made. I didn't see the original post, and also don't know who removed the links, but I know why they did. You made such a clean pitch (did you mention you were in sales? Yes, you did. I suspect you might be good at it.) that you sounded suspiciously like an advertising spam bot. We get a fair amount of that, and those bots are getting better all the time. One of the characteristics of the better ones is that they aren't as messy as us humans. So, by being a bit peeved at the removal of the links, I, for one, certainly believe you're a real person.

I think Funky covered the CMS part pretty well, but I'd emphasize that pretty nearly anything will do. Some will do better than others, but none will take the place of your own creativity. If you have a good design, they can help you make it work well. If you don't have a good design, they can't help you at all. For example, I tend to be graphically challenged. I work in Windows Forms because they are gray (grey to you Brits) and rectangular. I can do gray. I can do rectangular. If you want me to add color...things get garish. People have noted a few features of programs I have written: The messages are witty, the colors are either ugly or psychedelic...and fortunately, the programs work well. I'd be utterly horrible at web design, and stay well clear of it. So, from my perspective, CMS is not the question. The questions is, do you have a good design? If so, then find a tool to help you. Sounds like you DO have a design, though, and that's by far the hardest part.

Also, I'm moving this out of Chit-Chat, and perhaps not to the best place, so it may be better to move it again, later. Chit-chat tends to...wander. I was tempted to describe how I misread your post to be asking about CVS rather than CMS, so I went to CVS to check them out. First I sampled the mouth wash, then I moved on to the pharmaceutical section, and by the end of it all I had been banned from CVS stores across the west. That's the kind of answer that Chit-Chat usually supplies, so a new home for a serious question would be best.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Oddly, that may be the best response you could have made. I didn't see the original post, and also don't know who removed the links, but I know why they did. You made such a clean pitch (did you mention you were in sales? Yes, you did. I suspect you might be good at it.) that you sounded suspiciously like an advertising spam bot. We get a fair amount of that, and those bots are getting better all the time. One of the characteristics of the better ones is that they aren't as messy as us humans. So, by being a bit peeved at the removal of the links, I, for one, certainly believe you're a real person.

I think Funky covered the CMS part pretty well, but I'd emphasize that pretty nearly anything will do. Some will do better than others, but none will take the place of your own creativity. If you have a good design, they can help you make it work well. If you don't have a good design, they can't help you at all. For example, I tend to be graphically challenged. I work in Windows Forms because they are gray (grey to you Brits) and rectangular. I can do gray. I can do rectangular. If you want me to add color...things get garish. People have noted a few features of programs I have written: The messages are witty, the colors are either ugly or psychedelic...and fortunately, the programs work well. I'd be utterly horrible at web design, and stay well clear of it. So, from my perspective, CMS is not the question. The questions is, do you have a good design? If so, then find a tool to help you. Sounds like you DO have a design, though, and that's by far the hardest part.

Also, I'm moving this out of Chit-Chat, and perhaps not to the best place, so it may be better to move it again, later. Chit-chat tends to...wander. I was tempted to describe how I misread your post to be asking about revglue(.)com CVS rather than design affiliate CMS, so I went to CVS to check them out. First I sampled the mouth wash, then I moved on to the pharmaceutical section, and by the end of it all I had been banned from CVS stores across the west. That's the kind of answer that Chit-Chat usually supplies, so a new home for a serious question would be best.
    Thanks for the advice, it seems i got lot to learn before moving towards VB.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HenryShaw View Post
    Thanks for the advice, it seems i got lot to learn before moving towards VB.
    Personally, I don't see what you would use VB (ASP.Net) for if you're going to start with a CMS that is almost certainly based on PHP (e.g., Joomla, Drupal, etc). That is all you need for a website. Or just stick with Wordpress if you have some familiarity. They all have various plugins to add functionality if needed.

I'm not sure if this site (VBForums.com) is using a CMS per se. I believe it is just a vBulletin install, which is just a PHP forum (phpBB is another popular one). The parent site (Developer.com) may run a CMS - I've never looked at it.

Bottom line is YOU certainly do NOT want to create a CMS from scratch, especially from VB. I'm not aware of one made in VB either. If there is a free ASP.Net CMS, I'd bet it was done with C#.