dcsimg

Thread: Linking powerpoint text to a VSTO add in

Linking powerpoint text to a VSTO add in

Greetings,

I have created a VSTO add in for powerpoint. I want to be able to take a selection of text on an existing powerpoint and copy it to my Add in text box. Can someone pleased help me as I cannot figure out the code to for the text in the already created powerpoint.

Here is my vision: Open a powerpoint made by someone else. Make a selection of desired text I want to copy from the powerpoint. Click a button on the ribbon and have the text from the powerpoint copied to a text box in my VSTO add in.

Any help would be great as I know very little about programming. Thank you very much for your time.

Very Respectfully,

Josh

PowerPoster

Re: Linking powerpoint text to a VSTO add in

I'm confused. If you're selecting the text manually, why do you need code to copy it? Please explain more fully.

Quote Originally Posted by vbfbryce View Post
    I'm confused. If you're selecting the text manually, why do you need code to copy it? Please explain more fully.

here is my idea:

If my boss came in with a presentation and I have the same presentation on my computer. If my boss points out something that is important I want to be able to select the text that is important and make my own outline. I don't want to take the time to type the information out. I want to simply select the text on the powerpoint slide, click a button, and have the text that is selected on the powerpoint slide be copied to my new outline in my add-in.

The idea is to get important information moved from a powerpoint slide to make an outline. The idea is to shorten the time it takes to make outlines from existing powerpoints by highlighting text and having it automatically copied to an outline. Basically saving the time it takes to type out outlines.

If that does not make any sense I can visually show you with an illustration. I appreciate your time and help.

Very Respectfully,

Josh

PowerPoster

I want to be able to select the text that is important and make my own outline. I don't want to take the time to type the information out.
    i am sure it would be possible, but i can not give exact code as i do not have powerpoint, possibly something like
    Code:
    myaddin.textbox1.text = selection.textrange.text
    though that would be more likely to copy the entire text rather than the selected text, i would just look at ctrl C after selecting and ctrl V to paste into the addin

someone who uses powerpoint may give some better code example to exactly what you want
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, that did not work. How do I reference the PowerPoint slides in code? I can figure out how to copy and paste them but I cant figure out what code is needed to reference the selected text in the PowerPoint presentation. I attached a reference photo. I want the selection from the slide to be copied to the textbox on the right..but only the selected text. Name:  quick.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  9.0 KB

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Very Respectfully,

Josh

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, that did not work. How do I reference the PowerPoint slides in code? I can figure out how to copy and paste them but I cant figure out what code is needed to reference the selected text in the PowerPoint presentation. I attached a reference photo. I want the selection from the slide to be copied to the textbox on the right..but only the selected text. Name:  quick.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  9.0 KB

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Very Respectfully,

Josh
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PowerPoster

Still don't understand exactly, but maybe something like this:

Code:
    Sub getText()
        Dim activeShape As Shape
        Dim shp As Shape
        Dim pres As Presentation
        Dim sld As Slide

Set pres = ActivePresentation
        Set sld = pres.Slides(1)   'change as needed

If ActiveWindow.Selection.Type = ppSelectionShapes Then
            For Each shp In ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange
                Set activeShape = shp
                Exit For
            Next
        End If

activeShape.TextFrame2.TextRange.Copy

sld.Shapes(3).TextFrame2.TextRange.Paste
        '*** I'm pasting the text to another textbox,
        '*** you'd need to change the destination

End Sub

I tried to copy and paste this into my program but it did not work. The "ActivePresentation" and "Set sld"did not work. Do I need to upload a reference library or change setting in my visual studio to get these things to work? Thank you again for your time.

PowerPoster

Do I need to upload a reference library or change setting in my visual studio
    should not be needed if you are doing this within powerpoint
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

PowerPoster

Do I need to upload a reference library or change setting in my visual studio to get these things to work?
    As Pete states, if you're using the code within Powerpoint, no additional references are required. If you're doing it within Visual Studio, then, yes, you'd need a reference to the Powerpoint object library.