dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] looking for a way to refresh datagrid from another form after updating or inserting

Enjoy the moment

Resolved [RESOLVED] looking for a way to refresh datagrid from another form after updating or inserting

hey
    i cant find a way to refresh the grid to see the new data that i entered after unloading
    would like to get some help
    salsa

Re: looking for a way to refresh datagrid from another form after updating or inserti

You're doing it the wrong way around. Update the grid first (or, more correctly, the grid's data source) then save changes from that back to the database. If you're really determined to do it the wrong way then all you need to do to get up-to-date data is exactly what you did when you opened the form, i.e. query the database. Why exactly do you think you need to initiate this from another form to begin with? What's the relationship? Explain rather than assuming that we will magically know all we need to know about your specific situation.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Enjoy the moment

Re: looking for a way to refresh datagrid from another form after updating or inserti

i have 2 forms
    1 holds the frmcustomers with the data grid
    then if i want to add a new customer or edit then i open another form called FrmNewCust
    if there is a better method i would love to learn it

Check this out as an example of one way to perform an edit in a dialogue:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?469518

In that case, the DataTable that is bound to the grid is populated manually. In a real app, you would use a data adapter to populate the DataTable and the same data adapter to save the changes back to the database. If you follow the instructions there, ShowDialog will return the DialogResult value that corresponds to the button the user clicked. If that was OK, you would then know that changes had been made and so you needed to call Update on the data adapter to save those changes back to the database.

Adding might be done similarly, in which case you'd use a newly created DataRow that you then added to the DataTable before saving. The new DataRow could be created first and passed in tot he dialogue, in which case you could actually use the same dialogue for adding and editing. Alternatively, you could use a different dialogue retrieve the data from properties and create the DataRow afterwards. Your choice.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Enjoy the moment

great !!
    thank you