dcsimg

Thread: Can't Create MySQL Database Even Though MySQL For Visual Studio is Installed..

Lively Member

Can't Create MySQL Database Even Though MySQL For Visual Studio is Installed..

Not sure I understand this and correct me if I am wrong but in Visual Studio 2017 I wanted to create a database specifically a MySQL database.. ok, I have downloaded and installed MySQL for Visual Studio (directly from MySQL) but when I go to create this MySQL database with localhost as the server name it says it can't..

"a network related or instance specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL server. the server was not found or was not accessible. verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 could not open a connection to SQL server)

what is going on with this? Do I need to configure this somehow? I am actually trying to do a localhost connection for the moment to just do some testing and code writing and then switch to remote access via a Linux based web host. I just can not seem to create a MySQL database and add it to my project..

the other thing that boggles me is.. I am not sure if I needed Microsoft SQL Server Express installed and if so why the Hell does it not come pre-installed with Visual Studio or somehow work with the MySQL for Visual Studio installations? Sounds like a real mind job if you know what I mean. Someone please clear this up for me it's really staring to be frustrating. I was going to install the Microsoft SQL Server Express but I just wanted to understand if I somehow required it and why? I mean why Visual Studio and MySQL installers don't just come READY to Rock out of the Box?

Re: Can't Create MySQL Database Even Though MySQL For Visual Studio is Installed..

The MySQL tools for VS are tools to enable VS developers to connect to MySQL databases. There needs to be a MySQL database to connect to, which means that MySQL needs to be installed. The VS development tools are just that. They are NOT the RDBMS itself.

As for SQL Server Express, LocalDB IS installed and ready to use with VS IF you install the appropriate components. It's up to you to make sure you've done that. LocalDB enables you to add MDF data files to your project and have them attached on demand. Not everyone needs SQL Server Express and it is part of SQL Server, not Visual Studio, so you need to install it separately. It allows you to create an attached database on an instance and then connect from any application.

You should do some proper reading on databases in general and MySQL specifically rather than just jumping in and hoping it all comes to you.
    Last edited by jmcilhinney; Nov 4th, 2018 at 04:46 AM.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Re: Can't Create MySQL Database Even Though MySQL For Visual Studio is Installed..

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWarrior77 View Post
    the other thing that boggles me is.. I am not sure if I needed Microsoft SQL Server Express installed and if so why the Hell does it not come pre-installed with Visual Studio or somehow work with the MySQL for Visual Studio installations? Sounds like a real mind job if you know what I mean. Someone please clear this up for me it's really staring to be frustrating. I was going to install the Microsoft SQL Server Express but I just wanted to understand if I somehow required it and why? I mean why Visual Studio and MySQL installers don't just come READY to Rock out of the Box?
    You seem to be confusing yourself over the 3 letters in common with the names...
    SQL Server is a database system, created by Microsoft.
    MySQL is a completely different database system, created by a different company.

There are also dozens of other popular database systems, created by multiple companies. Some database systems have SQL in the name, some don't -and none of them are SQL, which is a language to communicate with almost any database (and annoyingly, it isn't identical for different database systems).

Visual Studio is a development system, created by Microsoft, for creating software of various kinds... that software can work with databases but doesn't have to (and you aren't limited to a particular database system). They can also work with smart-phones or run on web hosts (even Azure specific things) or dozens of other complex things, but don't have to.

If all of the options were pre-installed (even if it was limited to just Microsofts own products), the cost would be much higher, and the installation size would be huge - and in virtually every case most of it wouldn't ever be used. In this particular case, you don't want any of the editions of SQL Server (because you want MySQL), so just in terms of just that you'd be wasting several gigabytes of storage for something that is irrelevant for you.

As MySQL is made by a different company, it would take a lot of effort for Microsoft to integrate features into Visual Studio for it, and dramatically increase the price - even tho the majority of developers will never use those features (as they don't use databases at all, or use SQL Server, or use Oracle, or use a different database system).