dcsimg

Thread: New To Database Programming With VB .Net and SQL

Lively Member

New To Database Programming With VB .Net and SQL

Hello I am new to database programming and need some help figuring out how to start. I have a new vb .net project open and from "Server Explorer" I have right clicked "Data Connections" and selected "Create New SQL Server Database.." a new options windows pops up and asks for Server Name:

I am confused as to what I need to input here. I want to create this database and upload to my web host and then interface with it.. read/write.. I am assuming the IP Address or website URL.. Seems like a simple question but I am new to this. If my server IP Address goes there 2 questions:

1: Where should this database be located on my web host so that I can connect to it?

2: What if my IP Address to my host should change?

I am assuming that after I create the database I just upload the database to my host and I can login with the SQL server info I had entered upon creation?
    Would I need to import the database for example via cpanel and myphpadmin? or could you just literally upload it and connect directly to it without importing?
    Last edited by DreamWarrior77; Nov 3rd, 2018 at 06:24 PM.

Re: New To Database Programming With VB .Net and SQL

Firstly, you don't upload databases to web hosts. Does your host actually support SQL Server anyway? I seem to recall that you mentioned MySQL in previous threads, but maybe I'm misremembering. That would be the first thing to establish though.

Assuming that you are going to be using SQL Server, do you have SQL Server installed locally? If not then you can't create a database locally. You can create a data file and have it attached on demand with LocalDB, which can be installed with VS, but if you want an attached database then you will need to download and install SQL Server Express and you should also install SQL Server Management Studio.

To be frank, you really ought to do some general reading on the database you're using and how to interact with it from VB.NET. It sounds like you're just jumping in blind. That might seem like you're saving time but you're not. You'll just end up wasting much more.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Firstly, you don't upload databases to web hosts. Does your host actually support SQL Server anyway? I seem to recall that you mentioned MySQL in previous threads, but maybe I'm misremembering. That would be the first thing to establish though.
    I was remembering correctly. You do mention MySQL here and probably elsewhere too. Do you know the difference between MySQL and SQL Server? Are you aware that SQL is not a database but rather the language that databases use to define and manipulate data? That's why you'll find it in the names of many different databases, including MySQL, SQL Server, SQLite, PostgreSQL and various others. There are plenty of databases without SQL in the name that still use the SQL language though. In fact, virtually every database in use today uses the SQL language.

Lively Member

ok so I require SQL Server Express.. I see ok well I just started another thread here because I was so confused about this..

Can't Create MySQL Database Even Though MySQL For Visual Studio is Installed..

Having a hell of a time understanding why it does not come ready to use within Visual Studio or at the very least inform us that we require it to create a SQL database.. very confusing as I installed ALL of the SQL stuff upon the VS installation AND the MySQL For Visual Studio installer..

You still seem not to understand the different between MySQL and SQL Server. As for the MySQL tools for VS, they are tools to enable a VS developer to connect to a MySQL database. If you don't already know what a MySQL database is then they can only do so much for you. If you want to connect to a MySQL database then you need a MySQL database to connect to, which means that you need MySQL installed and you need to have created a database. Maybe you should go to the MySQL web site and look for some relevant information there.
    Last edited by jmcilhinney; Nov 4th, 2018 at 04:47 AM.