dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] How to Allow/Deny access to Web page using Active Directory credentials

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to Allow/Deny access to Web page using Active Directory credentials

Hi All,

I am a new developer using Visual Studio 2017.

I wish to create a Asp.net web application that will control (Allow/Deny) access to certain pages based on which Group the User is a member of in a already existing Active Directory Setup on our network(e.g. if the user is Member of "Accounts" Group they will only see Accounting pages).

How will I be able to implement this after creating a new ASP.NET application(project)?

I only know that there is a "Change Authentication" option when creating the solution, but how would I proceed from there?

After that, how would I reference the user's Group value to control page access?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Patrick

Hyperactive Member

Re: How to Allow/Deny access to Web page using Active Directory credentials

You don't need an ASP.NET solution to control access by AD groups.

At the file system level on your web server you can adjust the NTFS permissions of the folders that contain your various solutions such that only the desired AD groups/users have access to the folder, those permissions then apply when accessing those folders via a web browser as well. If need be, you can manage permissions on a file level as well, if there are pages in the same folder that different groups need to access for example.

Once that is done, you'll likely need to make adjustments inside of IIS for the appropriate folders to ensure that Anonymous Access is not allowed, and to select an appropriate authentication method (Integrated Windows, Digest, etc.)

If you do some testing with a test folder and a test .html file inside of it, it shouldn't take long to get an understanding of if going that route will work for you.

If you are looking to do this from scratch all in code by getting group membership information from the user accessing the page and then having some sort of repository/mapping of groups->available content, then someone else will have to assist with that.

Also, this thread should probably be moved to the ASP.NET forum since your questions don't really relate to VB.NET.

Re: How to Allow/Deny access to Web page using Active Directory credentials

Thank you for your reply.

You post an interesting method to control access, however I was hoping for a way to do this via application design (since I wish to manage access to content within the pages too).
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will post this under the ASP.NET forum.

Best Regards