Thread: will "clear cache" lose page count on vbforums.

Hybrid View

King of sapila

will "clear cache" lose page count on vbforums.

Hi.
    Say that I'm reading page 3 of 5 on a vbforums thread and I do a clear cache (firefox).
    Will this result on been landed on page 1 of 5 or it will remain at page 3 of 5 ?
    Thanks.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

Re: will "clear cache" lose page count on vbforums.

I don't know but wouldn't this only take a few seconds to test? A lot less time than creating this thread.

IT shouldn't since the page number is part of the url....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

If you mean will your "unread posts" be remembered, they will be - because that is dealt with server side (and for each thread it automatically gets cleared after about 10 days, so if you come back to a thread 11 days later you will go to the latest post, rather than the next one you hadn't seen).

Clearing the cache will mean however that things will take slightly longer to load, eg: your browser will have to re-download avatar pictures, rather than using the cached version.

King of sapila

first of all it wouldn't take a few seconds to test as I need to make sure first and then clear the cache. If I can't be sure I will have to backup a lot of stuff and notes.
    Unread posts my also be stored in TTL cookies but I guess you are refereeing to the specific site we are using. That is not the case as I have tons of sites with notes and company automated fixes that I need to keep. Vbforums was just an example so I wouldn't bother you with the nightmare I need to deal with.
    So to sum this up. Clearing the case will generally not lose the page count(?) on any site, if the page number is part of the URL. It will slow things down at start( I can live with that) ,

I wanted to ask another thing, if the page will not lose count but the cursor aka the page position will reset to the top of the page. Some threads are extremely long and I have pinpointed some positions but that will reset to the top?

Thanks.

If you want to test it on specific sites, just open a private/incognito and go to the site you're worried about. That will load it up without any cache for you to test, without worrying about losing any data.

Also on most brrowsers, you can control what to clear out when you clear cache... I usually uncheck everything except for files and images... I preserve passwords, cookies, form data, etc....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Hi.
    The sites are too much of a hassle to simulate on a sandbox as they are in the 1000th ratio.
    I want to clear everything but the page number and if applicable the page position.
    Also a self note. I guess if I clear history I will lose all tabs(?).

What do you mean by lose all tabs? If you have tabs open in your browser and you clear your history, it will not remove the tabs you have open.

Clearing history/cache will not remove or change any windows/tabs you have open until you refresh the page.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    What do you mean by lose all tabs? If you have tabs open in your browser and you clear your history, it will not remove the tabs you have open.

Clearing history/cache will not remove or change any windows/tabs you have open until you refresh the page.
    I don't understand that. What do you mean it will remove the tabs when I refresh the page? It doesn't make send.
    The question is.
    I have 100 tabss open, right. So I clear everything (cache,history,self believes) and then I close the browser. I reopen the browser. Are there 100 tabs still there?

Never said they will close the tabs, I said it would change them. IE) if you have a page open in your browser, and then close your browser, when the browser re-opens, it will typically reload those pages.

If you have removed your cache, then anything on the page that has been cached will reload.

However, it seems you've brought up more of a use issue, rather than a functional one. Why are you trying to save pages by simply keeping the tabs open? If you have something you care about enough that it would cause you grief if you lost it, why are you not bookmarking it? Tabs are not meant to be permanent storage.

King of sapila

I don't want to bookmark 1000 pages. They will be closed by a tool we are working out after they have been analyzed(and trese are company pages if you are worrying about spamming the heck out of them). The thing is, I need to light - lighten up the browser by clearing whatever I can but maintain the tabs open, the pages number as is and, if possible, the page position as is.
    So let me ask again.If I have a page in my browser. No scratch that. If I have 10 pages in my browser, remove cache history and mental illness and then close the browser. After that go to a vacation to the dark side of the moon and buy souvenirs, return at the company and reopen the browser. Do I expect to see 10 pages again or the finger?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by sapator; Oct 23rd, 2018 at 09:37 AM.

Depends.... do you have "restore tabs on open" turned on? I don't... so if I have 100 tabs open, and I close the browser, whether I clear cache or not - doesn't matter - the tabs will _not_ be there... Now... if you have that option turned on (and for anything over 5 or so tabs, that seems insane), then yes, the tabs should then reload... you may not get the same page position... that's not something typically stored anywhere... but it will be based on the url... so if you've navigated to an anchor in the page, it'll take you back to that point.

-tg

Another note is, some browsers will not load up the page content again until you activate the tab. So if you have 1000 tabs open, close your browser, and then re-open, it will only load the active tab. The other tabs will not load up until you click into them.

Also, if you have 1000 pages open, clearing cache will cause more load on the browser, not less, as it will have to re-fetch everything. Clearing the cache would only free up memory and/or diskspace.