Thread: How to deal with library versioning

How to deal with library versioning

Hey all, maybe someone can give me a little advice about my class libraries.

Suppose I have an app (myApp.exe) that reference my libraries A.dll (v1.0) and B.dll (v1.0) and A & B both reference C.dll (v1.0)

Now assume I make a minor change to C.dll and rebuild and release it as v1.1. At this point A & B are still reference v1.0, but at some point in the future I make a change to A.dll and rebuild and release it as v1.1. Now I have A.dll(v1.1) referencing C.dll(v1.1) and B.dll(v1.0) referencing C.dll(v1.0)

Now I go into myApp.exe and rebuild it and get a message like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visual Studio
    Warning Found conflicts between different versions of the same dependent assembly that could not be resolved. These reference conflicts are listed in the build log when log verbosity is set to detailed. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets 1697
    I'm not really sure how this should be handled. I have a about a dozen libraries and where some reference others (there are no circular references btw). For example I have an SQL library that some of the other libraries reference and if I rev the SQL library, none of the libraries that reference it get rebuilt until I need to rebuild them so the new SQL version is not referenced by the other libraries. Eventually I will rebuild them and the change will propagate. But most times making a small change in one library does not warrant going though the process of releasing everything that references it.

So how does this situation normally get handled?

thanks for looking
    kevin
    Last edited by kebo; Oct 21st, 2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: change title
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.