dcsimg

Thread: Single IEEE to binary floating point (and back).

Single IEEE to binary floating point (and back).

I doubt this code will have much utility, but it is a nice teaching tool. Basically, the two notable functions are:

• CBinStrFromSng
    • CSngFromBinStr

CBinStrFromSng takes any Single and converts it to a String with a floating-point binary (base 2) number in it. It is the exact base 2 number represented in the IEEE Single. Since the IEEE storage of a Single is purely a base 2 operation, this is possible.

The CSngFromBinStr function is also provided for completeness. However, this CSngFromBinStr function does have caveats for its input. So long as it's an output from the CBinStrFromSng function, it'll work perfectly. Read the comments to this CSngFromBinStr function for more details on the input criteria. Briefly, the string must be either 1s, 0s, one period, and possibly a leading - sign. Anything else will cause it to error (other than the special NaN and infinity conditions).

There is also a loop (form_click event) included which illustrates some of the problems (bit jiggling) that will sometimes take place when we do base 2 to base 10 (and back) conversions.

Code:
    As a quick example, "0.01011001101000101010011"        will convert to 0.3501381! in base 10.  
               However, "0.0101100110100010101001101" will also convert to 0.3501381! in base 10.

There are also cases in the other direction, where a base 10 number can't find an ideal representation in base 2. Try typing the following code into some code somewhere and watch what happens:

Code:

Dim n As Single
        n = 1E-40!

The IDE knows that there is no good base 2 (IEEE Single) representation for 1E-40!.

Here's a functioning piece of code (for a Form1) with all the supporting functions. You may want to change some of these to Public if you ever intend to use them in a wider scope.

Code:
    Option Explicit
    '
    Private Declare Function GetMem4 Lib "msvbvm60.dll" (ByRef Source As Any, ByRef Dest As Any) As Long ' Always ignore the returned value, it's useless.
    '

Private Sub Form_Click()

'Debug.Print "    Binary Number: " & CBinStrFromSng(1!)
        'Debug.Print "    Binary Number: " & CBinStrFromSng(2!)
        'Debug.Print "    Binary Number: " & CBinStrFromSng(0.000001!)
        'Debug.Print "    Binary Number: " & CBinStrFromSng(1.175495E-38!)               ' Smallest possible non-subnormal number.
        'Debug.Print "    Binary Number: " & CBinStrFromSng(1.401298E-45!)               ' Smallest possible number.
        'Debug.Print "    Binary Number: " & CBinStrFromSng(3.402823E+38!)               ' Largest possible number.

' Largest binary number we can deal with.  We can specify more precision and it'll be ignored.  If we specify more bits, it'll overflow.
        ' Changing the last one or two least-significant 1s may not change the resulting base-10 number.
        'Debug.Print CSngFromBinStr("11111111111111111111111100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.0")

' Smallest binary number (sub-normal) we can deal with, although slightly larger base-2 numbers will result in the same base-10 number: 1.401298E-45!
        'Debug.Print CSngFromBinStr("0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001")

Dim s2 As String
        Dim v3 As Variant

Dim n1 As Single
        Dim n2 As Single
        Dim n3 As Single
        Dim cnt As Long
        Dim iLen As Long

Randomize 1234
        Do
            ' The following won't ever error because Rnd returns <1, and also, it doesn't get down into the sub-normal so as to no bias the results.
            ' Therefore, it will never overflow or underflow.
            ' Max will be around 600000, and Min will be around 0.000002, both well within the range of a Single.
            '
            n1 = Rnd / (Rnd + 0.000001!)    ' This is a PURE base-2 operation whereby the smallest increments of base-2 numbers could be calculated, and not limited by base-10 conversions.
            '
            s2 = CStr(n1)           ' No problem here, although multiple n1 values may resolve to the same s2 value.
            n2 = CSng(s2)           ' This may NOT go back to the original n1 because, in certain cases, multiple binary numbers can represent the same base-10 number, so one is chosen (but maybe not the same one as the original).
            '
            v3 = CDec(n1)           ' No problem here, but this works much like CStr() in that we must get from a base-2 number to a base-10 number.
            n3 = CSng(v3)           ' Again, this may NOT go back to the original n1 ... as explained above for n2.
            '
            If (n1 <> n2) Or (n1 <> n3) Then                ' IEEE numbers are compared as a base-2 number, so we may find differences from the base-10 to base-2 conversions above.
                iLen = Len("Base 10 of n1: " & CStr(n1))
                Debug.Print "--------------------------------------------------------"
                Debug.Print "  Original: Base 10 of n1: " & CStr(n1) & Space$(32 - iLen) & "Base 2 of n1: " & CBinStrFromSng(n1)
                Debug.Print "CSng(CStr): Base 10 of n2: " & CStr(n2) & Space$(32 - iLen) & "Base 2 of n2: " & CBinStrFromSng(n2)
                Debug.Print "CSng(CDec): Base 10 of n3: " & CStr(n3) & Space$(32 - iLen) & "Base 2 of n3: " & CBinStrFromSng(n3)
                cnt = cnt + 1
                If cnt = 10 Then Exit Do
            End If
        Loop
        Debug.Print "--------------------------------------------------------"
        Debug.Print "Found 10 with jiggled bits."

End Sub

Private Function CBinStrFromSng(ByVal n As Single) As String
        ' Double-check site: https://www.exploringbinary.com/binary-converter/
        Dim iMantissa   As Long
        Dim iExponent   As Long
        Dim iSign       As Long
        Dim iFull       As Long
        '
        GetMem4 n, iFull
        '
        iMantissa = &H7FFFFF And iFull      ' Mask off the mantissa bits.  It's in the low-order bits so no shifting needed.
        iExponent = &H7F800000 And iFull    ' Mask off the exponent bits.
        iExponent = iExponent \ &H800000    ' Shift exponent down to low-order bits.
        If (iFull And &H80000000) <> 0& Then iSign = 1& Else iSign = 0& ' Get the sign bit.
        '
        'If bShowDebugging Then
        '    Debug.Print "--------------------------------------------------------"
        '    Debug.Print "Base 10 of Single: " & CStr(n)
        '    Debug.Print " Memory of Single: " & Long2Binary(iFull)
        '    Debug.Print "         Mantissa:          " & Right$(Long2Binary(iMantissa), 23)
        '    Debug.Print "         Exponent:  " & Right$(Long2Binary(iExponent), 8)
        '    Debug.Print "         Exponent:  " & iExponent
        '    Debug.Print "             Sign: " & Right$(Long2Binary(iSign), 1)
        'End If
        '
        ' Deal with zero.
        If iExponent = 0& And iMantissa = 0& Then
            If iSign Then
                CBinStrFromSng = "-0.0"
            Else
                CBinStrFromSng = "0.0"
            End If
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        ' Deal with NaN and infinity.
        If iExponent = &HFF& Then
            If iMantissa = 0& Then
                If iSign Then
                    CBinStrFromSng = "-INF"
                Else
                    CBinStrFromSng = "INF"
                End If
            Else
                CBinStrFromSng = "NaN"
                ' There is also the possibility of a negative NaN, but that typically isn't used.
                ' In some cases, a NaN can have different meanings.  These meanings are coded into the Mantissa.
                '       However, these distinctions aren't parsed here.
            End If
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        ' Deal with subnormal numbers.
        If iExponent = 0& Then
            ' The implicit 24th bit isn't used in this case.
            CBinStrFromSng = "0." & String$(126, "0") & Right$(Long2Binary(iMantissa), 23)
            If iSign Then CBinStrFromSng = "-" & CBinStrFromSng     ' Deal with sign bit.
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        ' Regular floating point from here down.
        iMantissa = &H800000 Or iMantissa                       ' Add the implicit 24th bit to mantissa.
        CBinStrFromSng = String$(126, "0") & Right$(Long2Binary(iMantissa), 24) & String$(128, "0")     ' Add leading and following zeros.
        CBinStrFromSng = Left$(CBinStrFromSng, iExponent) & "." & Mid$(CBinStrFromSng, iExponent + 1)   ' Insert the decimal.
        TrimZeros CBinStrFromSng                                ' Trim zeros.
        If iSign Then CBinStrFromSng = "-" & CBinStrFromSng     ' Deal with sign bit.
    End Function

Private Function CSngFromBinStr(ByVal s As String) As Single
        ' The incoming string MUST be in exactly the same format as the output from the CBinStrFromSng() function.
        ' Special values are: "-INF", "INF", & "NaN".
        ' All other values can have a leading minus sign (or nothing for positive).
        ' They must also have at least one binary number both before and after the decimal point.
        '
        Dim iMantissa   As Long
        Dim iExponent   As Long
        Dim iSign       As Long
        Dim iFull       As Long
        Dim t           As String
        Dim i           As Long
        '
        ' Deal with special cases first.
        If s = "-INF" Then
            iFull = &HFF800000
            GetMem4 iFull, CSngFromBinStr
            Exit Function
        End If
        If s = "INF" Then
            iFull = &H7F800000
            Exit Function
        End If
        If s = "NaN" Then
            ' We don't cover all the NaN conditions.
            ' In this one case, the precise same bit-pattern that was in the Single's memory might not return.
            ' In other words, the mantissa is always just set to all ones, where it may not have originally been.
            ' Also, the sign bit is left off, where it may have originally been on.
            iFull = &H7FFFFFFF
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        ' Get the sign.
        If Left$(s, 1) = "-" Then
            iSign = 1
            s = Mid$(s, 2)
        End If
        '
        ' Make sure it's all 1s, 0s, and decimal point.
        t = Replace(s, "1", "0")
        t = Replace(t, ".", "0", , 1)
        If t <> String$(Len(t), "0") Then
            Error 13        ' Type mismatch.
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        ' Make sure it's properly formatted.
        i = InStr(s, ".")
        If i < 2 Or i >= Len(s) Then
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        ' See if it's zero.
        If InStr(s, "1") = 0 Then
            If iSign Then iFull = iFull Or &H80000000
            Exit Function
        End If
        '                                                      v
        ' The following is just a precaution for numbers like "00.00001"
        TrimZeros s
        '
        ' See if it's subnormal.
        If Left$(s, 128) = "0." & String$(126, "0") Then
            s = Mid$(s, 129)
            s = Left$(s & String$(23, "0"), 23) ' For this, we must have precisely 23 bits.  If not, add them to the end, indicating zeros for precision.
            ' As a note, this could be 23 zeros, which is fine (i.e., too much small precision provided).
            ' It'll just result in a zero mantissa and exponent, which is the same as the above zero.
            iFull = Binary2Long(s)              ' The mantissa is in the low-order bits, so we're good to go.  The exponent bits stay zeros.
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        ' It's a normal non-zero floating point from here down.
        '
        ' Is it less than 1.
        If Left$(s, 2) = "0." Then
            s = Mid$(s, 3)                              ' Strip leading "0.".
            iExponent = 126&                            ' For negative, exponent starts here.
            Do
                If Left$(s, 1) = "1" Then Exit Do       ' See if we found the implicit 1.
                s = Mid$(s, 2)                          ' Strip the zero.
                iExponent = iExponent - 1               ' Keep incrementing the exponent until we hit a 1.
            Loop
        Else
            i = InStr(s, ".")
            ' Check for an overflow.
            If i >= 130 Then
                Error 6                                 ' Overflow error.
                Exit Function
            End If
            iExponent = i + 125&                        ' Can't exceed 254, as 255 (&hFF) has special meaning.
            s = Left$(s, i - 1) & Mid$(s, i + 1)        ' Remove the decimal point.
        End If
        '
        ' The following is the same for <1 or >1 for normal non-zero floating point.
        ' The iExponent is set (in low order bits), and s is a binary number with 1 as high order bit.
        s = Mid$(s, 2)                                  ' Strip the implicit 1.
        s = Left$(s & String$(23, "0"), 23)             ' Mantissa is always exactly 23 bits, so fill in trailing zeros.  This also strips any binary precision we can't deal with.
        iMantissa = Binary2Long(s)                      ' This gives us our mantissa.
        iExponent = iExponent * &H800000                ' Offset the exponent bits to where they belongs (23 bits out).
        iFull = iExponent Or iMantissa                  ' Combine exponent and mantissa.
    End Function

Private Sub TrimZeros(s As String)
        Do
            If Left$(s, 1) <> "0" Then Exit Do
            If Mid$(s, 2, 1) = "." Then Exit Do
            s = Mid$(s, 2)
        Loop
        Do
            If Right$(s, 1) <> "0" Then Exit Do
            If Right$(s, 2) = ".0" Then Exit Do
            s = Left$(s, Len(s) - 1)
        Loop
    End Sub

Private Function Long2Binary(ByVal l As Long) As String
        ' This is the 2s-compliment of the long, in binary. If positive, it's a true binary number of the long's value.
        ' Returns a 32 character string of 1s and 0s representing the memory of the Long.
        ' The return is NON-signed, with the sign bit being in the high-order bit.
        '
        Dim k       As Long
        '
        ' The sign bit is a bit trickier.
        Long2Binary = Format$(Abs((l And &H80000000) = &H80000000))
        ' All others, just check the bit.
        k = &H40000000
        Do
            Long2Binary = Long2Binary & Format$(Abs((l And k) <> 0))
            If k = 1& Then Exit Do
            k = k \ 2&
        Loop
    End Function

Private Function Binary2Long(ByVal s As String) As Long
        ' This is the 2s-compliment of the long, in binary. If positive, it's a true binary number of the long's value.
        ' The incoming string must be nothing but 1s and 0s, and no longer than what will fit into a Long.
        ' It is NON-signed, with the sign bit represented as the high-order bit.
        ' 11111111111111111111111111111111 (32 bits) is the largest possible number.
        ' Anything not 1 will be interpreted as 0.
        ' An empty string returns 0.
        '
        Dim iSign       As Long
        Dim j           As Long
        Dim k           As Long
        '
        If Len(s) > 32 Then
            Exit Function
        End If
        '
        ' Grab sign bit.
        If Len(s) = 32 And Left$(s, 1) = "1" Then
            iSign = 1
            s = Mid$(s, 2)
        End If
        '
        ' Build return.
        j = -1
        For k = Len(s) To 1 Step -1
            j = j + 1
            If Mid$(s, k, 1) = "1" Then
                Binary2Long = Binary2Long Or (2 ^ j)
            End If
        Next k
        '
        If iSign Then Binary2Long = Binary2Long Or &H80000000
    End Function

With relative ease, this could also be reworked to deal with IEEE Double encoding as well, since all the concepts are covered. It would just be a matter of changing around some of the constants to deal with the different size mantissa and exponent.

Enjoy,
    Elroy

Note: Some people may be more familiar with the term "Significand". I tend to use the term "Mantissa" as that's how I learned it. They have the same meaning. They're an integer (of some number of bits) that carry the significant digits of a number (without respect to where the decimal point goes).
    Last edited by Elroy; Oct 15th, 2018 at 08:30 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Lively Member

Re: Single IEEE to binary floating point (and back).

thank you
    Last edited by quickbbbb; Oct 19th, 2018 at 05:17 AM.