dcsimg

Thread: How to determine if ACE.OLEDB.16.0 provider is registered on the user machine or not?

How to determine if ACE.OLEDB.16.0 provider is registered on the user machine or not?

So my program needs ACE.OLEDB.16.0 provider to be registered on users machine and I want to know if he already has it or not so I can install it for him from my project installer.

How can I detect that programmatically?

Re: How to determine if ACE.OLEDB.16.0 provider is registered on the user machine or

You can use the Registry class to attempt to get it and set the default value to Nothing, that away if nothing is returned then you know it isn't registered. Without testing it, I think something like this would work:
    Code:
    Dim ace_registry As Object = Microsoft.Win32.Registry.GetValue("HKCR", "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16.0", Nothing)
    If ace_registry Is Nothing Then
        'Not registered
    End If

Re: How to determine if ACE.OLEDB.16.0 provider is registered on the user machine or

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    You can use the Registry class to attempt to get it and set the default value to Nothing, that away if nothing is returned then you know it isn't registered. Without testing it, I think something like this would work:
    Code:
    Dim ace_registry As Object = Microsoft.Win32.Registry.GetValue("HKCR", "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16.0", Nothing)
        'Not registered
    End If
    I tried it this way:

Code:
    Public Class Form1
        Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
                Label1.Text = "Not Registered"
            Else
                Label1.Text = "ACE Provider 16.0 Registered"
            End If
        End Sub
    End Class
    then this showed up :

Name:  Ace Provider.png
Views: 207
Size:  27.2 KB

I'm not sure what the base key name is, I was just taking a guess. Do a quick Google search on "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.16.0 base key name" and see what the result is; I'd do it for you but I'm leaving the office in about 5 minutes.

You shouldn't need to check yourself. You should create a prerequisite package for the installer and then add that to your own setup. The checking can then be done automatically.