dcsimg

Thread: Split Tab Control

Split Tab Control

I don't know if anyone has done it already but, while I myself currently lack the skill to do so, I was thinking someone should come up with a split tab control that enables the ability to view 2 tabs at the same time rather than going back and forth between the two.

Or have the option to have single or double view. Anyway it was just a thought for when your working on 2 projects and need them both open because your going back & forth rather minimizing one and expanding the other and vise versa which I personally find to be quite annoying.

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts on this or if in fact it has been done already and where it might be found. thanks in advance

Re: Split Tab Control

The obvious is to have two SSTAB controls on your form.
    What am I missing?

Yeah, it would be just a matter of using a SplitContainer control, and having a Tab Control on each side... one side would be initially hidden. Then when you want the split view, you show the other side with the other tab control and add the appropriate tab page to it and show it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Yeah, it would be just a matter of using a SplitContainer controlg...
    In VB6?
    vbExtra: Print preview for VB6, print FlexGrids and more.
    MSDN online for VB6, Language reference.

Crap.... I forgot there wasn't one built-in was there... I was thinking about the interface the application wizard created when you selected "Explorer-style applicaiton" .. but that used a couple (three maybe?) picture boxes and a line... the line was draggable, and the two pic boxes would resize themselves based on the new location of the line.

Still, it's not an uncommon technique that it couldn't be turned into a control. Heck, at that point, you could also go ahead and pre-add your tab control and build in the hid/show capabilitiesalong with methods and logic to control what tabs get displayed on side 1 vs side 2.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

yea vb 6. I have visual studio community 2018 and am not altogether sure I like it. it feels like when I used to do html 20 years ago. its like the C++ programmers got ahold of the language and rewrote it. that plus you have to have the same service pack and its like learning to code all over again etc...

while I realize I could use pic boxes or image boxes and multiple tab controls. or even just open another instance. it was just a thought and to see if anyone had in fact come up with something to that effect. I am familiar with the split container as well, but it was just a thought

yea vb 6. I have visual studio community 2018 and am not altogether sure I like it. it feels like when I used to do html 20 years ago. its like the C++ programmers got ahold of the language and rewrote it. that plus you have to have the same service pack and its like learning to code all over again etc...

while I realize I could use pic boxes or image boxes and multiple tab controls. or even just open another instance. it was just a thought and to see if anyone had in fact come up with something to that effect. I am familiar with the split container as well, but it was just a thought

You can use the tab control for its tabs events only. Many folks use the tab control just to control which controls (on the form) are visible or which are not.
    I would place the two project controls on the form, bring them forward so that they are in front of the tab control. When you click the first tab only the one project control is made visible, and when you click the second tab both project controls are visible. Remember to place the two controls relative to the form and not relative to the tab control.
    It will look like both controls are on the same tab. In such a case you can have any number of project controls on one tab.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Crap.... I forgot there wasn't one built-in was there... I was thinking about the interface the application wizard created when you selected "Explorer-style applicaiton" .. but that used a couple (three maybe?) picture boxes and a line... the line was draggable, and the two pic boxes would resize themselves based on the new location of the line.

Still, it's not an uncommon technique that it couldn't be turned into a control. Heck, at that point, you could also go ahead and pre-add your tab control and build in the hid/show capabilitiesalong with methods and logic to control what tabs get displayed on side 1 vs side 2.

-tg
    I still don't get the idea of how that control could be handy.
    The user can assign more or less space to one side or the other at any time, but what would the control automatically do then? To hide some contained controls? To rearrange the contained controls in the smaller (or larger) space? To change the size of the contained controls to fit the new space? To show only a part of the of the "picture" of contained controls?

Only the host program could know how to better arrange the contained controls in a given space.

Then my conclussion is that it could be good if someone makes that SplitContainer control for VB6, but it is something separated from a tabbed control. Although they could be used together, as suggested in post #3.

Quote Originally Posted by lethalthret View Post
    I was thinking someone should come up with a split tab control that enables the ability to view 2 tabs at the same time rather than going back and forth between the two.
    I agree 100% with Eduardo.

Related to a TabControl, it's a non-sense request,
    Use simply two PictureBox side by side with related controls inside.

Uh....why even Pictureboxes...why not just two SSTab Controls, side by side? Maybe I'm not understanding OP's request. I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer on this Forum, but I DO like simple. It seems to me that I can do what OP asks simply by putting two SSTab controls on a form (and put what I want on each set of tabs, that is). Maybe the question is related to WANTING some split container, but, like some others, I'm not seeing the need?

Frenzied Member

I don't know if anyone has done it already but, while I myself currently lack the skill to do so, I was thinking someone should come up with a split tab control that enables the ability to view 2 tabs at the same time rather than going back and forth between the two.

Or have the option to have single or double view. Anyway it was just a thought for when your working on 2 projects and need them both open because your going back & forth rather minimizing one and expanding the other and vise versa which I personally find to be quite annoying.

Please feel free to let me know your thoughts on this or if in fact it has been done already and where it might be found. thanks in advance
    and

As you can see, we didn't understand what you want.

has anyone ever coded and needed 2 instances of vb open at the same time? has anyone ever had the need to have 2 browsers open at the same time. or maybe you were doing art work and was in need to have the pic as well as what you were working on. Im just saying since browsers use tabs why not be able to split that or even be able to show 2 tabs at the same time its not that difficult a concept. in other words rather than flip back and forth have them both up at the same time to look at. windows has a snap feature. the google pixel phone running android has a split screen. lets say you wanted to brows the web and check your email or play a game and be on fb. is it really that hard to grasp. like i said it was just a thought

Frenzied Member

has anyone ever coded and needed 2 instances of vb open at the same time? has anyone ever had the need to have 2 browsers open at the same time. or maybe you were doing art work and was in need to have the pic as well as what you were working on. Im just saying since browsers use tabs why not be able to split that or even be able to show 2 tabs at the same time its not that difficult a concept. in other words rather than flip back and forth have them both up at the same time to look at. windows has a snap feature. the google pixel phone running android has a split screen. lets say you wanted to brows the web and check your email or play a game and be on fb. is it really that hard to grasp. like i said it was just a thought
    What you are saying are not tabs but the opposite. Tabs are for not showing things at the same time, but at different times.
    If you want to show everything at the same time, then just do not put any tab and you'll have everything on the screen at the same time. Got it?

If you on the other hand want to split the screen and be able to choose at will to give more space to one side or the other, then you need not tabs but a SplitContainer or something similar. (Do you know what a SplitContainer is?)

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    What you are saying are not tabs but the opposite. Tabs are for not showing things at the same time, but at different times.
    If you want to show everything at the same time, then just do not put any tab and you'll have everything on the screen at the same time. Got it?
    FWIW, I've seen such a feature already (IIRC, it was in the 'Sublime'-TextEditor)...

Sometimes a TabStrip is used, to only switch between single "Document-View"- or "Document-Editor"-Controls -
    and in such a scenario a "vertical Split-View" of such documents makes kind of sense.

@the OP
    I've uploaded a simple TabStrip-Control into the CodeBank now...
    (including such a "Split-Option", when the <Ctrl>Key is held down when doing a Tab-Click).
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ect-and-Split)

HTH

Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; Oct 9th, 2018 at 04:57 AM.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    FWIW, I've seen such a feature already (IIRC, it was in the 'Sublime'-TextEditor)...

Sometimes a TabStrip is used, to only switch between single "Document-View"- or "Document-Editor"-Controls -
    and in such a scenario a "vertical Split-View" of such documents makes kind of sense.

@the OP
    I've uploaded a simple TabStrip-Control into the CodeBank now...
    (including such a "Split-Option", when the <Ctrl>Key is held down when doing a Tab-Click).
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ect-and-Split)

HTH

Olaf
    OK, I never understood what he wanted.

It needs to be done with a tabbed control that is not a control container.