dcsimg

Thread: company management software and tasks between branches

Question company management software and tasks between branches

Hey

Anyone familiar with software is ready or can help me begin to understand how to write such software alone (my knowledge with VB is excellent) that knows how to do the following tasks:

There is a network of branches, let's say 5 branches.
    Each branch has the option to send a message to another branch or general chat, including pictures and documents or files
    When one branch ships an item to a second branch, the task of shipping the item is added to the first branch, and the second branch is notified of an item that must be delivered. Once the item is packed and shipped, the shipping number is added to the task and the second branch is also updated. Once the second branch receives it, it closes the task and it updates and closes the task at the first branch.
    A category of online documents with manuals or files and procedures for employees. (Kind of Q & A )
    Forum-style bulletin board for all network employees
    When a position holder needs something from a certain branch or from all the branches, he opens a task for them to perform, and every progress updates him, at the end of the task it closes the task.

If this software also has a mobile app (Android and iPhone) - it's great !!!!

In general, there is no problem coding this alone. It's not that complicated. The question is how to begin? You need a server that sits on our network, let's say SQL or maybe DataBase of Access even.
    Each computer has the software installed, and each program has a branch number according to which it knows which data to display.
    How to begin? what is needed? What would suit that? VB and Access? And if there is something ready (in Hebrew its cool, and for free its the best), it will be excellent.

Thanks for the helpers

Re: company management software and tasks between branches

Since branches arent local perhaps MS sql on an internal intranet (ie already existing network).
    You could use MS access, but if you want phone connections too, why not have a web page built for mobiles and computers?
    Rest of what you described is more database creating record, updating as it goes through processes and probably reporting.

Rest of what you've described sounds like a pre done CMS type thing. I think MS have a few off the shelf products.

All depends on you/your wallet/situation/time/knowledge.
    Custom build would be best for your situation but costs more. Off the shelf might be able to be adapted and possibly you could buy several different packages that work together to give you the forum, database etc...

Just an opinion.. take with a pinch of salt...

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

PowerPoster

MS Access is not a True Server Database, with only five branches it might be ok but why take the chance. Sql Server would be the best choice, maybe MySql but I've never used it.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    MS Access is not a True Server Database, with only five branches it might be ok but why take the chance. Sql Server would be the best choice, maybe MySql but I've never used it.
    Ok, ill check mysql, but never coded with it. Ill learn but maybe a silly question.. mysql as a server is coded with vb?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

mysql as a server is coded with vb?
    You can write a client against MySQL using VB, or just about any other language. So C, C#, Java etc would all be options. That said, If VB is what you know then it would be a good choice to go with.

One thing you probably should be thinking about is the paradigm you're going to use. A lot of what you've described sounds like a classic desktop application using WinForms or WPF - although you could also take a web approach to this using ASP. Some of what you've described (bulletin boards etc) definitely sounds like web or mobile so you should probably look at technologies like ASP and Xamarin. (I'm mentioning microsoft's technologies here but other languages have their own equivalents)
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

mysql as a server is coded with vb?
    You can write a client against MySQL using VB, or just about any other language. So C, C#, Java etc would all be options. That said, If VB is what you know then it would be a good choice to go with.

One thing you probably should be thinking about is the paradigm you're going to use. A lot of what you've described sounds like a classic desktop application using WinForms or WPF - although you could also take a web approach to this using ASP. Some of what you've described (bulletin boards etc) definitely sounds like web or mobile so you should probably look at technologies like ASP and Xamarin. (I'm mentioning microsoft's technologies here but other languages have their own equivalents)
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd