Thread: Manual install / update of .net programs

Lively Member

Manual install / update of .net programs

I'm currently using VS 2015 and my codes all vb.net. A little backstory - I installed the software on a network drive for use on 2 virtual computers a while back, and everything has been working perfectly fine with the initial install. On a sidenote, it was installed using one-click install, but its been several months now and I don't remember what I had to do to successfully install it, but I do remember it wasnt very simple.

When trying to install an update to my program, I am unable to successfully remove the old file and reinstall the new file. I get an error along the lines of, "application can not be started because it is already installed from a different location".

Is there a way for me to manually install the update by moving files around in the Application Files folder? Or any other method to force a manual update.

Or even better, anyone ever had this issue with a network installed program for virtual computers, and know what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance and let me know if I need to elaborate on anything.

Re: Manual install / update of .net programs

It's ClickOnce, not one-click, and the settings you used should still be on the Publish page of the project properties. One of the main drivers behind ClickOnce is automatic updates, so this should have been easy. You should have specified a location that the application would look for updates and then you can simply put the new version in that location and the rest will happen automatically. If you didn't do that and you don't what you did do then it's hard for us to advise. Maybe the best option would be uninstall the application, then publish it using the appropriate settings anew and start from there.

By the way, this is not a VB.NET question. This site has an Application Deployment forum and I've asked the mods to move this thread there. This is about ClickOnce and the specific language used to write the application isn't relevant to that.

Lively Member

6 to one, half a dozen to another. No need to sound so condescending, apparently you knew what I meant.

Im not sure if this is a universal issue with installing software to a network drive, but automatic checking for updates will not work when using our network. The updates will never push through to update the program, and it locks up in the searching for updates popup. If I install it to a desktop, automatic updates will work; hence my reason for posting this question in the first place.

I have no idea how to uninstall something from a network drive other than just deleting the files of the network drive, but that doesnt work either. It still thinks theold version of the program is still there.
    Last edited by Mearntain; Sep 28th, 2018 at 08:59 AM.

You don't install it to a network drive... you push (publish) the install to a network drive... and then install it on each client machine (even if that client is a VM)... then each time they start up the application, it automatically checks for an update, if there is one, it will download it, install it, and re-start the application... it will know if there is one because it knows where it was installed from... that's how it's supposed to work.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

Can you elaborate on what you mean with the "push (publish) the install to a network drive"? I'm wondering if the way I had this originally working was just a fluke.

From my recollection, I placed the installation file onto the network drive, "installed" it using my personal machine. After that point, either of the 2 virtual machines were then able to open the program and run it as it should without ever intitializing any additional installs on those VM's, and I'm 100% positive about not having to actually install again on the VM's.

I'm aware of how the automatic updates are supposed to work as I have used them several times, but they will not work for me if they are coming off the network drive. The software will never startup if I have it trying to look for updates off the network drive, but if it looks for updates on a local drive, it will update as it should and the program runs flawlessly.

I would love to try to do the automatic update again, but first I need to figure out how to remove the initial install which has been a huge struggle, and I've even had network administrators try to remove the file from the VM's, but nothing shows up in the program list or registry on either of those machines.