dcsimg

Thread: Access database application

Access database application

Good Morning
    Just getting into VB. I wondered if using vb2011 I could develop a windows desktop application and access an access database. I have been using other software to make things like this but thought I should get into doing it properly. Would I need the .net. Have no intentions yet accessing the web or anything yet.
    Any pointers would be great. I will have a look on youtube etc.
    Thank you.

Fanatic Member

Re: Access database application

Just getting into VB and you've been registered here 13 years? There is no VB2011. It would either be 2010 or 2012.

To your question though, you can certainly write an app that uses an Access database and there are at least hundreds if not thousands of threads here with people asking various questions regarding that very thing so no shortage of things you can search. Access is arguably the easiest SQL database to implement if you use the older Jet engine (MDB files) vs the newer ACCDB files since you don't need to worry about possibly installing something other than your exe on another computer to get it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by topshot View Post
    Just getting into VB and you've been registered here 13 years? There is no VB2011. It would either be 2010 or 2012.
    I registered 13 years ago but been to busy doing other things like websites etc. I have been meaning to get into one language recently and stick with it as been jumping back and forth between things like python but i would like to do windows desktop things along with ms databases etc. Also looking at sql which i would think would benefit vb.

Its actually 2010 I have.

Thanks again.

Fanatic Member

Personally I'd stick with web-based stuff as the desktop is dying unless you have a specific need you're trying to fill. However, Access would not be suitable as a backend database. SQL Server would be fine, but most hosting providers offer MySQL.

BTW, they offer the Community Edition of Visual Studio for free for small shops or individuals so you don't need to stick with 2010. From what I read 2017 is a bit bloated now but much better than 2015. I am still using 2013, which I find superior to 2010.
    Last edited by topshot; Sep 21st, 2018 at 12:03 PM.

Lively Member

If i was starting again to learn an application language with a GUI front end - i would look at Angular for online where you can leverage your web experience and build on that
    For on device look at Electron leveraging the Angular experience https://github.com/electron/electron-quick-start
    Depending on the storage requirement i would pick one that fits the purpose of the application and compatible with Electron https://www.techiediaries.com/electr...a-persistence/

I'd agree with topshot about the web side being better.

However, Access is fully capable and has everything all in one. SQL lang is pretty much the same as MS SQL and can be applied.
    If you've already used MySql and you've designed databases already it would be ok to learn it.
    All depends on your situation. ie are you going to move into working from an office that only has ms access/excel or possibly uses ms sql. Or is it more personal to learn more in the one product, develop an app for desktop.
    Do you need to use the web to connect the people to the data or are they all in one office using a shared space.

Anyway, I've done many years using Access and you can do a lot with it.
    It is also great for short term or satellite systems. You can test out what a form might look like or coding and do it fairly quickly.

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

Thanks for all replies.
    To put you in the picture. I went to college years ago and done my IT qualifications and was always into programming. But then it was cobal etc. The one I loved was the old DBASE and databases in general. I am still keen on databases and presenting data etc. I went into web development, sites etc hence the 13 years since I signed up in the forum. I only do it as a kind of hobby. I also like Access too and would like to do a bit more with it like menu system etc but not quite sure how. Angular also sound good will have a look at that. Thanks again.

Access is not compatible for different versions even though they have the same extension. For instance, both Access 2007 and Access 2010 have the .accdb extension, but the connection string to open each version is different.

This is how I maintain my Access database (distributed to many users) since 15 years ago:

1) I create a blank Access 2007 database from my computer and get it placed on users computer during installation of the vb6 application

2) I connect to the database using a fixed connection string : Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0

3) Users need to install the FREE Access 2007 runtime on their computers even if they have other versions of Access in their computer

4) Step 1 is important, because I noticed that if I were to create a new database from code and using the ACE.OLEDB.12.0 string (2007 format), the database created is in the users version format: Access 2010 for instance - These are the things which happens "strangely" in access.

Using the steps above, there have been no compatibility issues, even if users have other versions of Access in their computer

The only issue I'm facing now is if users have Office 64 bit in their computers. Even though the Access 2007 runtime install successfully, the "provider not found" error still pops up. But one thing which amazes me. There is one user who succeeded to run my program after right clik > Install as administrator for the Access 2007 runtime. This user has the Office 64 bit version. But there are other user who failed by using the same approach.

To get started for Access programming, you can refer to a good book such as "Access Programming by Example" by Julitta Korol, which gives lots of easy step by step examples.

Frenzied Member

4) Step 1 is important, because I noticed that if I were to create a new database from code and using the ACE.OLEDB.12.0 string (2007 format), the database created is in the users version format: Access 2010 for instance
    could you please post the code and the program used to create a new database
    do not put off till tomorrow what you can put off forever

Quote Originally Posted by IkkeEnGij View Post

I create a blank Access database from my computer using MS Access 2007.

I use InstallShield to package my VB6 application and add the blank Access 2007 database together with the installer.

After installation, the database would be placed in the Program Files directory together with the vb exe file.

I would then use app.path to copy the blank access database to the directory which I create in the users computer.

I would then use Access SQL (through ADO and DAO) to do everything as required. Hope this helps.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by IkkeEnGij
    Quote Originally Posted by frdata
    I create a blank Access database from my computer using MS Access 2007.
    so you did not
    Quote Originally Posted by frdata
    Step 1 is important, because I noticed that if I were to create a new database from codes.
    do not put off till tomorrow what you can put off forever