dcsimg

Thread: Help wanted, installing an old VB program on win10

Help wanted, installing an old VB program on win10

Hi i have an old program that I've been using on XP but when I try to install it on win10 I get "microsoft data access components (MDAC) 2.5 must be installed"

did a quick search and found that wasn't possible or required for win10
    so I thought I'll install it manually by extracting the cab files, cab1 extracted ok but cab2 has no .hdr and fails to open

when trying to register the first .ocx i get "The module "x.ocx" may not compatible with the version of windows that you're running. check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32bit) or x64 (64bit) version of regsvr32.exe"

is there anything I can do to get this software running or has the way it been written made it impossible?
    program is 12 years old and I don't know who wrote it

Thanks for any help or advise

Frenzied Member

Re: Help wanted, installing an old VB program on win10

You could run it in an XP virtual machine. Other than that, without the source code, you may be out of luck.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by haloweenhamster View Post
    Hi i have an old program that I've been using on XP but when I try to install it on win10 I get "microsoft data access components (MDAC) 2.5 must be installed"

did a quick search and found that wasn't possible or required for win10
    so I thought I'll install it manually by extracting the cab files, cab1 extracted ok but cab2 has no .hdr and fails to open

when trying to register the first .ocx i get "The module "x.ocx" may not compatible with the version of windows that you're running. check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32bit) or x64 (64bit) version of regsvr32.exe"

is there anything I can do to get this software running or has the way it been written made it impossible?
    program is 12 years old and I don't know who wrote it

Thanks for any help or advise
    What is it called? Is it free software or something you bought?

King of sapila

You may be able to run it in an XP virtual machine like Hyper V or Vmware but that will just run it on a virtual machine.
    If you just want that then OK but if you want it to run on W10 then it may or may not work but you need to install it or you need to omit it from the installer.
    Have a look here:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...0-MDAC-problem
    Slow as hell.