dcsimg

Thread: Better database access method

Better database access method

Hello,

I'm writing an application and using database, I'm using this method to access database file

dbProvider As String = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Jet OLEDBatabase Password=123;"

But I face "The Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 provider is not registered on the local machine" on many target PCs, some PCs working fine, some are not.

My question is :

is there a better method to access database without caring about this ACE.OLEDB.12 error ? not matter what PC or office ver is ?

I'm doing reading/writing/updating/deleteing, using sql query

Thank you all

Frenzied Member

Re: Better database access method

afaik the driver you are using is the recommended and should be the fastest. it should be availble on all machines that have MS Access installed. there are other possibilities: https://www.connectionstrings.com/access/
    but i think all the JET ones are only coming with access, but i think MS allowes to install the drivers.

Re: Better database access method

Are you using an MDB file or an ACCDB file? If it's the former then you should use the Jet provider rather than ACE. If it's the latter then you must use ACE, so anyone who doesn't have Access installed already needs to install the Access Database Engine, which they can download or you can provide with your application.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL