Thread: A4 tablet

A4 tablet

Can anyone recommend a light portable tablet/reader (any os) that has at least an A4 (8.5" x 11.75") sized screen that can show pdf files in portrait mode from an external standard usb 2.0/3.0 usb stick. Ability to copy pdf files from an external usb stick to an internal drive would be advantageous. Ability to access the internet via a web browser via wi-fi would be nice but not essential. Screen size/pdf/external usb/cheap/light are the main criteria.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2019 (16.6.3)

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: A4 tablet

Your major issue here will your unlikely to find a cheap tablet at that size,

most of the bigger tablets are also the most expensive, eg the Surface Pro, IPad Pro, Galaxy View , and non of them are cheap.

Even something like a Huawei MateBook tablet will set you back $500 and i couldn't even find on the UK amazon site

The cheapest you could buy that would do a decent job would probably be the Amazon Fire 10, but it would be too small at around 10 x 6 inches but cost wise you can get one for 150

In short if you absolutely have to have a tablet that size then you will need to pay up and you probably should then go for a tablet from one of the big boys Apple, Microsoft or Samsung
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Your major issue here will your unlikely to find a cheap tablet at that size,

most of the bigger tablets are also the most expensive, eg the Surface Pro, IPad Pro, Galaxy View , and non of them are cheap.

Even something like a Huawei MateBook tablet will set you back $500 and i couldn't even find on the UK amazon site

The cheapest you could buy that would do a decent job would probably be the Amazon Fire 10, but it would be too small at around 10 x 6 inches but cost wise you can get one for 150

In short if you absolutely have to have a tablet that size then you will need to pay up and you probably should then go for a tablet from one of the big boys Apple, Microsoft or Samsung
    Thanks.

Yes, the screen size has to be A4 size so that a full A4 PDP page can be displayed at normal size. At that screen size, which one(s) would you recommend as I've got very limited experience with tablets. My os experience is all MS - but the os really doesn't matter.

PS An A4 screen would be about 15.6" diagonal - and I can't find a tablet from Apple or Samsung with that size screen. Microsoft do a Surface Book 2 15" for 2349 - big gulp!! Dell do an Inspiron 15 5000 2-in-1 for 699 (small gulp!).

But these are full-blown 2-in-1 laptops. I'm not looking for a full laptop (and full laptop price) - just a tablet with an A4 (15.6") screen that can be used in portrait mode.

Any ideas any one please
    Last edited by 2kaud; Sep 24th, 2018 at 09:57 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Getting about a 10" screen gets expensive. I assume that you want that full A4 PDP page for a reason, but are you absolutely sure that the reason is valid? After all, if you showed a full A4 PDP page on a 10" screen, it would have to be shrunk by some percentage, but if you were to show a full A4 PDP page on a 65" monitor, it would almost certainly be expanded by some percentage. In other words, you generally shrink or expand documents all the time, and we usually neither know nor care. A full page is a full page, and the size of the font is all that really changes. A full page at a smaller screen is harder on the eyes....but substantially easier on the wallet. That's the trade-off.

Also, you mentioned a Surface Book and a Dell 2-in-1. At that point, you're really talking about laptops rather than tablets. I wouldn't call either of those a tablet, though I suppose they could be used as a tablet.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Getting about a 10" screen gets expensive. I assume that you want that full A4 PDP page for a reason, but are you absolutely sure that the reason is valid? After all, if you showed a full A4 PDP page on a 10" screen, it would have to be shrunk by some percentage, but if you were to show a full A4 PDP page on a 65" monitor, it would almost certainly be expanded by some percentage. In other words, you generally shrink or expand documents all the time, and we usually neither know nor care. A full page is a full page, and the size of the font is all that really changes. A full page at a smaller screen is harder on the eyes....but substantially easier on the wallet. That's the trade-off.

Also, you mentioned a Surface Book and a Dell 2-in-1. At that point, you're really talking about laptops rather than tablets. I wouldn't call either of those a tablet, though I suppose they could be used as a tablet.
    Thanks.

Senior Management are currently insisting upon an A4 screen. Some of the detail on the pages to display is small and hard to read easily on a size smaller than A4 - and a full page must be shown all at once, no scrolling. I mentioned Surface Book and Dell 2-in-1 because NeedSomeAnswers mentioned Microsoft in post #2 - so I looked and then thought of Dell. The requirement is for a low-performance tablet with a large screen - not a laptop. Showing full page A4 PDF files will probably be its only function.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I think the Samsung Galaxy View might be big enough its around 1000

here is one on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-G...EAAOSwsTtbhH77
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    I think the Samsung Galaxy View might be big enough its around 1000

here is one on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-G...EAAOSwsTtbhH77
    Thanks. That's exactly what we've looking for. Unfortunately this model is discontinued. If this model had turned out to be ok then we'd want several!

Apparently, Samsung are bringing out a new Galaxy View 2 to replace the discontinued model. It's supposed to have a 17.5" screen (great) and is expected to be launched October. https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_gal...news-33091.php

In this case, we'll wait to see what happens - but from what I've managed to glean it's looking good.

Thanks to all.