dcsimg

Thread: How can I disable the webcams lights?

Question How can I disable the webcams lights?

Hello.

Just before I start, I want to say that I'm not using this for ANY malicious purpose, I'm simply using it for a program I'm developing for parents to monitor what their kids do online and on the computer.

I have no code to provide, but how can I disable webcam lights using Visual Basic .Net? Is there a registry key I can programmatically change to "0" or "1" to disable the webcam lights?

Thanks.

Re: How can I disable the webcams lights?

You could start by not posting a question in the CodeBank forum, which is for sharing working code samples. I have asked the mods to move this thread to the appropriate forum.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Ahh, right. Thank you. Should I just move it now to save them trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Modulus View Post
    Should I just move it now to save them trouble?
    You can't. Only mods can move a thread. You can't delete it either, so deleting it and creating a new one in the correct forum isn't an option.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Indeed... once you have posted in the wrong place, anything you do to 'fix' it (other than reporting it via the triangle icon under a post, as jmcilhinney kindly did) actually makes things worse.

Thread moved from the 'CodeBank VB.Net' forum (which is for you to post working code examples, not questions) to the 'VB.Net' forum

Quote Originally Posted by Modulus View Post
    Just before I start, I want to say that I'm not using this for ANY malicious purpose, I'm simply using it for a program I'm developing for parents to monitor what their kids do online and on the computer.
    That sounds a bit malicious to me, even if the people who use it are actually monitoring their own children (rather than somebody else's, or an adult).

Are you aware of any programs (by reputable companies) that do this kind of thing?

There's a company based in Australia called Imminent Methods, who are the creators of the famous Imminent Monitor. They support plugins and offer plugins which can disable webcam lights.

I'd never heard of the company or product, so visited their home page where it states that their major product was developed by just one developer, who has "9+ years of programming experience" (which is less than many of the people who use this site).

I'm afraid I don't consider that to be a reputable company, just a small business.

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    I'd never heard of the company or product, so visited their home page where it states that their major product was developed by just one developer, who has "9+ years of programming experience" (which is less than many of the people who use this site).

I'm afraid I don't consider that to be a reputable company, just a small business.
    I do know of a couple of ways, ways I have never tested and I agree this sounds Malicious.

Unless admin say I can help but keep in mind I will direct you and am not providing a working example I can't. I remember you asking how to write an Anti-virus. I told you please do not do this as you will cause more damage than good. You are still not even close to the level required. Considering One way involves Firmware, Reverse engineering and IDApro which is well outside of this forums scope. One that takes years of studying.

For every body's sake please stop. Not to mention the alarm bells that ring when members ask how to disable indicator lights to watch children. Not that I am implying anything of that short. I just do not think it's a question for vbforums to go down.

This is a public forum where others can search. Just because your intentions are good others are not. With that in mind, I retract what I said above. I don't feel right assisting.

Fanatic Member

I would say this is borderline illegal

Fanatic Member

Thinking of how this might work, I am imagining that the LED is built inline prior to the cam, I am pretty confident that you can not have power to the cam without having power on the LED, so I dont think any software can do what you're asking.

Hi, ident

Thanks for your response. I've taken into your consideration, and yes, it does sound very illegal for what I'm trying to do here.
    Not to mention the alarm bells that ring when members ask how to disable indicator lights to watch children.
    I do agree this sounds very pedophillic, but I do not intent for any of my thread to sound like I'm making this program to do that, which is totally wrong and not my intent. If you don't think I should know how to, that's fine.

Thanks for your time anyway!

As it isn't just you who would benefit from assistance given (but also those with bad intentions, whether they use your program, or the code etc given here), I think it's best if we avoid helping with this topic.

I'm now closing this thread.