dcsimg

Thread: Visual Basic VS Other Languages

Visual Basic VS Other Languages

I've been coding vb for a while because it's what I started on in .net, I really like the syntax of vb. I'm always getting people telling me that I really need to switch to C++ or something. I want to get a job to do with programming eventually. Any suggestions on what I should do? Because I feel like VB is capable of most stuff and imo I like the syntax more than any other language.

Re: Visual Basic VS Other Languages

When people say things like "you need to learn C++" it is often simply because C++ is a language they like and they don't like VB. Different languages have different strengths and weaknesses, both actual and perceived, so you shouldn't just switch languages arbitrarily. As a developer, it can't be a bad thing to have as much experience and knowledge as possible in as many languages as possible but we don't have unlimited time so we have to be shrewd with our decisions about what to spend our time learning.

If you're a .NET developer concerned about your employability then you should almost certainly learn C#. For the most part, a C# app and a VB app will be do the same thing in the same way and the code will be pretty much exactly the same, bar the syntax of course. The thing is, C# is the language that Microsoft are pushing as the premier .NET language so using it has certain advantages. There is a lot more information and examples available for C# than VB and there are also a number of features and technologies that only support C#, e.g. Xamarin mobile development was originally a third-party tool that Microsoft have now acquired and VB support is at a very rudimentary stage. As well as that, there is a perception in the industry that C# is better than VB that, while being unjustified for the most part, is still real and means that C# skills are held in higher regard. This means that there are more jobs available for C# developers and they also tend to pay better. The good news is that the structure of a C# app is pretty much exactly the same as the equivalent VB app so, if you can come to terms with the syntax differences, it's not too hard for someone with .NET experience.

Learning C/C++ is another step entirely. Doing so would be easier if you have already learned C# because you'll be familiar with the C-based syntax. C++ still feels rather archaic though. I learned to code in C at university and my first job was writing C++ but, after spending years writing VB and C# code, C++ feels really weird to me. There's a lot of power in C++ but a lot of complexity too. For developing GUI applications, C++ is not generally the tool of choice.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

^Agree with all of that.

Have you thought about what sort of programming you'd like to do? Games, business, simulations, data science...? Different languages tend to be common in different environments so if you can narrow down what sort of work you'd like to do that will be a big factor in deciding what language(s) you would be best learning.

I personally think that if VB is the only language you know you should definitely diversify. It's never good to have all your eggs in one basket and VB is, regrettably, probably not a very reliable basket to plan a future career on. MS haven't been showing it a lot of love recently.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

For developing GUI applications, C++ is not generally the tool of choice.
    It is if you use it with the QT framework. That's one of the reasons why the popularity of c++ has increased.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++17 Compiler: Microsoft VS2017 (15.8.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    It is if you use it with the QT framework. That's one of the reasons why the popularity of c++ has increased.
    Fair point.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL