Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 fixed

Windows 10 fixed

I really just like the picture of it fixed...the article is about something else.

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...chrome-firefox
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Re: Windows 10 fixed

I've liked Windows 10 for the most part. My only complaint has been with sharing of files and folders among my private network, other than that everything is really nice.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Sinecure devotee

Doesn't getting fixed mean being neutered?

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I dont mind Windows 10, what i do mind is all the bloody updates all the time.

I have Windows 10 on my work laptop and i have updates forced on me every month sometimes it seems twice a month, they are just a pain and i wish the would push out updates a bit less frequently.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    I dont mind Windows 10, what i do mind is all the bloody updates all the time.
    Windows 10 updates is nonexistent on my PC, and not once have I been nagged with warnings, ads, or begged to use Edge. Hell... Win 10 never calls home!

Oops, I have Windows 7. My bad!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Sep 14th, 2018 at 08:41 AM.

Windows 7 was good too. I just found Windows 8.1 a little difficult to navigate through apps; I found myself using Win Key+S more often then I should have.

they are just a pain
    Why's that exactly? They basically look after themselves for the most part. It's rare that you have to restart your machine immediately so there's no break to the workflow.

I hardly notice any difference between W7 and W10, I skipped W8

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    Doesn't getting fixed mean being neutered?
    THAT'S FUNNY

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    Oops, I have Windows 7. My bad!
    Now how can you disagree with that?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Why's that exactly? They basically look after themselves for the most part. It's rare that you have to restart your machine immediately so there's no break to the workflow.
    for me it's not the frequency that frustrating but I do find the length of the delays while windows reconfigures itself can be annoying sometimes. Maybe I'm turning into a "want it now" millennial but the sinking feeling when I see "Please wait while Windows is being configured. This may take a few minutes. 1%... 2%... 3%... … … … 4%"is almost beyond bearing.

It is nothing, however, when stacked up against the blood curdling horror I experience when I've just waited 2 hours 40 minutes for Steam to download some game I just walked all the way into town and bought a bloody disk for, only to be presented with the message "Downloading updates. Your game will be ready to play... some time Friday... maybe."
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I really wouldn't mind if they were just now and again but it seems that i get an update pushed out at least once a month at work through group policy and every now and again i get a message saying my PC is going to Automatically restart in 30 mins and i cant delay it.

Recently i was in the middle of a meeting with a 3rd party and my machine forced a restart in the middle of it which was annoying.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

it seems that i get an update pushed out at least once a month at work through group policy
    Well, yeah. Patch Tuesday has been a thing for years, well before Windows 10 was a thing. 15 years, according to Wikipedia.
    every now and again i get a message saying my PC is going to Automatically restart in 30 mins and i cant delay it.

Recently i was in the middle of a meeting with a 3rd party and my machine forced a restart in the middle of it which was annoying.
    As far as I'm aware and have experienced, they will only ever do that if you have put off restarting after an update has been pending for several days. It seems likely that that situation likely could have been easily avoided.

If it wasn't so sad, it might be amusing that Microsoft get so much flack now for pushing people to install updates after having got so much flack in years gone by for all the issues that unpatched Windows machines can and have caused. Hackers are getting more sophisticated all the time so staying up-to-date becomes ever more important. To my mind, if you're IT-savvy and you're complaining about your internet-connected computer being kept up-to-date then you're not part of the solution.

We just had some serious web site downtime that turned out to be Ubuntu pushing a bad patch...the installation of which got put off for a few days to a more convenient time. When the disaster struck, it wasn't a simple rollback, because the intervening days had to be recovered. There are interesting consequences.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Since the company i work for started rolling out the new laptops with Win10 (Win7 Pro being installed on the desktop-machines), i'm seriously considering giving up my admin-function.

User: "Huh? Why is Edge starting up when clicking on a URL, when i've configured Firefox to be my Standard-Browser?"
    Me: "Because you have to explicitely tell Windows10, that: "Yes, you f***ing stupid machine, i know what i'm doing, and no, i don't want to use your preinstalled crap"
    User: "??!?!?!?!???!"

DUH!
    And to make matters worse: Since i privately switched to Linux some 18 months ago, i've sworn to myself that no Microsoft is ever going to darken my doorstep again.
    Period!

The only good news for me is, that Win10 is supposed to be the last Windows ever, since everybody wants to live on the azure cloud nine in the future.....

And for me being a skydiver, clouds are only interesting in passing them on my way down.....
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    Since the company i work for started rolling out the new laptops with Win10 (Win7 Pro being installed on the desktop-machines), i'm seriously considering giving up my admin-function.

User: "Huh? Why is Edge starting up when clicking on a URL, when i've configured Firefox to be my Standard-Browser?"
    Me: "Because you have to explicitely tell Windows10, that: "Yes, you f***ing stupid machine, i know what i'm doing, and no, i don't want to use your preinstalled crap"
    I just tested exactly what it takes to switch your default browser to Firefox on Windows 10. It took 7 clicks and probably 15 seconds max. Oh, woe is you! I guess complaining about Windows 10 is a requirement of a Linux user if they want to have any cred but surely you can do better than that.

There's also the small matter of the fact that, if you click the Make Default button in Firefox then it will open the Settings app and highlight Microsoft Edge as the selection for the browser under default apps. If your users aren't then able to click that to change it to Firefox then I really have to question whether they actually do know what they're doing.

You misunderstood:
    Those Users of mine are used to work with Windows starting from Win2K, over XP to Win7 for the last 15 years,
    and for a lot of them, a computer is still all devil's work, black magic and voodoo.

And now i have to tell them that everything changes, just because some Blockhead in Redmond decided, that everything from the last 20 years is crap, and they have to reinvent the wheel anew.

I call BS where i see it!

Oh, and i meant myself with "i know what i'm doing", not my users.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What in the world do you do for a living if your users cannot transition from Win7 to Win10 and think that a computer is the Devil's work?

DUH!
    If your users are allowed to choose their own preferred browser then this shouldn't be too much of a chore for them, having every single application decide it should be the default and just grabbing whatever file associates and URL handlers it wants was a far worse scenario than a couple of additional steps to bring this under control. If this is in a corporate environment then the defaults can be set through a group policy anyway so the responsibility can either be be taken away from the user if it is such a problem or at least a different default could be setup.

And to make matters worse: Since i privately switched to Linux some 18 months ago, i've sworn to myself that no Microsoft is ever going to darken my doorstep again.
    Period!
    Not used Linux in anger for a lwhile but I still dabble and if your users are struggling to change a default browser under Windows 10 then I doubt they would find it much easier under Linux.....

The only good news for me is, that Win10 is supposed to be the last Windows ever, since everybody wants to live on the azure cloud nine in the future.....

And for me being a skydiver, clouds are only interesting in passing them on my way down.....
    [/quote]
    Windows 10 being the last ever doesn't mean the end of the line, just that they are now handling updates and patches in a very different matter, updating build numbers rather than product names.

What in the world do you do for a living if your users cannot transition from Win7 to Win10 and think that a computer is the Devil's work?
    If your users are allowed to choose their own preferred browser then this shouldn't be too much of a chore for them
    You guys have obviously never worked at some of the places i have, never under estimate a users ability to know just what they need to know and no more.

PowerPoster

You guys have obviously never worked at some of the places i have, never under estimate a users ability to know just what they need to know and no more.
    That's a fact. Many of my clients were small businesses and the only thing the operators new about computers was how to run the programs I wrote for them (and taught how to use).

The bright side is this keep me in business, paid the for my house, car and food. If there was never any change we would all be out of jobs. Change can be a pain in the arss but it is certainly better than being stagnant.

I've had lot's of user "oops" in my career but this one always brings a smile to my face. I was working over the phone with someone, sharing screens technology was not available to me at the time, and I was asking them to key in something similar to 123-abc. Over and over again it was getting not the desired results. I finally ended up walking to the floor where that person worked to see what was up. When I was saying enter "123", hyphen, "abc", the user was entering 123hyphenabc

https://www.spiceworks.com/it-articl...ickets-part-2/

• I had a user come up to me and ask why their computer would not turn on. I go over to the desk and notice a pool of water so I immediately unplug the computer and lift it up. Water came pouring out of the side vents so the user says “oh ya I spilled water on my desk, could that be the problem?”

• Person entering data on a floppy disk was told that she had to make a copy at the end of every day to provide a backup. About 6 months later, the disk became corrupt; so the technician asked if she had the copies. She opened a filing cabinet drawer and pulled out a stack of paper; on every sheet was a photocopy of the disk.

• I was walking through an office one day and a user said to me, “At last! It’s taken you long enough. I pressed F1 (help button) over 2 hours ago!”

• I got a call about a monitor not working. When going through the standard debugging steps, user said there were no lights, he could not find the power button, etc, etc. Then I ask, “Is there actually a monitor on the desk”, and answer was “no.” Someone had moved it.

• Once upon a time I had a user receive an email that our anti-virus software promptly quarantined. The user was frantic, “I must have that email!” I said, “I’m sorry, it has a virus. You’ll have to contact the guy who sent it, have him clean his computer of viruses, and resend.” He replied, “Can’t you just turn off anti-virus long enough for me to get this email?”

• I had a guy complaining that his computer had been hacked (of course every time anything strange ever goes wrong, it’s been “hacked”) because whenever he booted the computer, opened a program, closed a program, whatever, the entire theme song to Reading Rainbow would play. The computer hadn’t been hacked, he had just left it unattended and someone came by and set every single Windows sound to play the whole song. I changed the theme and was done. Lesson learned: never leave a computer unattended because there are tricksters out there!

• One of my favorite repeating requests is, “I can’t remember my email password. Please email me a new password.”

• Someone was complaining his PC wasn’t working at all. After going through the whole “have you checked cables and is it plugged in etc” he had me thinking he needed a new power supply or something. Then I heard someone in the background say, “I wonder how long the power outage will be this time.”

• User calls saying mouse “isn’t working.” No problem says me… I grabbed a freshie & headed over. Upon arrival, user says, “And there’s that annoying red light shining in my eyes too!” I turned the mouse right-side-up and walked quickly out of earshot, promptly losing it with laughter!!!

• I had a user come back from a 2 week vacation who reported that “everything is different”. She couldn’t really explain what was different though. Her computer had been off the whole time and nothing had changed at all. She’s a Mac user at home and I suspected the reason “everything is different” was because she didn’t look at a Windows machine for two weeks.

• One day a user calls because her computer wouldn’t power on. OK, so I take the trip upstairs and sure enough no power to the CPU or monitor. I follow the power cords to a power strip, but I couldn’t see the power switch. A head of lettuce in a grocery bag had fallen from her desk onto the switch and turned it off. We still laugh about the ‘Death by Vegetable’ ticket…

• “I had a user at my last job, who when it came time to reboot her computer would crawl under her desk, unplug every single cable, plug in every single cable, and come back up and tell me she rebooted. Even better when I had her log off and log on she did the same thing.”

• Call from user: “my PC is screaming at me.” Found out the computer was beeping because the keyboard tray was holding several buttons down.

• I got a ticket stating “user is requesting to be changed back to Google from Chrome”

• Ticket #144: “myspacebarwillnotwork” – Description: “iwouldreallylikesomespacessoicanwork!”

• It’s a big problem when users start mistaking a can of WD-40 for canned air… that keyboard was never the same. “It’s sooo oily!?” *facepalm*
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    The company i work for is a trading company for fasteners, and i'm doing all things with Logistic-Systems/Supply-Chain-Management. Since i'm the most "experienced" with Computers (my First being a Pentium 100 with 8MB RAM and Win95 in 1996), i'm the local (!!) admin for this subsidiary. The official IT/Helpdesk is somewhere else (at Headquarters).
    Now, everytime something doesn't work i'm the first one in the crosshairs of the user's anger. To make matters worse: over 50 % of the employees are there for the last 10 years (and/or more) with an average age over 35.
    Now knowing, that in Germany Computer-Education in High-Schools only started some 15 years ago (at least in a serious way - i still had to learn dBase for DOS of all things), and the distribution of Computers in private homes was at about 40-50% some 10 years ago, you can imagine what i have to fight with.....

90 % of my Users still have Win7 (or even XP) at home, so they are used to that User-Interface for the last 15-20 years.
    Never underestimate a radical change in UI.
    I remember 20 years ago my Cousin from Australia visiting me here in Germany.
    After arriving in Frankfurt he rented a car, and it was his first time driving on the right hand-side of the road in a car with the steering wheel on the left.
    I fell of my chair laughing my ass of, when he showed me some Video-footage him driving on a german highway, and trying to change the lane hitting what he was used to be the indicator, when instead the wiper started scrubbing his windshield.

Agreed 100%!!!

@Tyson....
    Now why do some of those sound familiar to me?

Oh, and i had one some years ago (employee is in retirement now, so you can guess his age): "My connection is bad. I think i need a new Wifi-cable!"......
    Last edited by Zvoni; Sep 21st, 2018 at 04:58 AM.

King of sapila

You can say whatever you want but transition to W10 is a real pain.
    We are struggling here. Even today, we had to update W10 to the latest service pack as a computer with W10 and and older service pack was shutting down WSUS service.
    Last week we had to configure Windows Defender as it quarantine application files and a main program wouldn't start.
    I'm experiencing things here that make me never to install 10 at home. As this is a multi national company, we are really "testing" W10 over here.
    I'm not the main admin but when I hear the screams and curses I flip my head ready for the new "surprise".
    The result is mostly not catastrophic but is annoying nevertheless (see WSUS error today). I wouldn't talk if the problem was just the interface (that I hate) but we are experiencing all kind of issues here, trying to push this garbage out of it's bin.
    W7 never had this kind of issues.

Edit, just now an admin is trying to install a dos program! I'm leaving the office because I want him to "talk polite" to the PC without disturbing him.
    Last edited by sapator; Sep 24th, 2018 at 09:46 AM.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    We are struggling here. Even today, we had to update W10 to the latest service pack as a computer with W10 and and older service pack was shutting down WSUS service.
    Last week we had to configure Windows Defender as it quarantine application files and a main program wouldn't start.
    I'm experiencing things here that make me never to install 10 at home. As this is a multi national company, we are really "testing" W10 over here.
    I'm not the main admin but when I hear the screams and curses I flip my head ready for the new "surprise".
    The result is mostly not catastrophic but is annoying nevertheless (see WSUS error today). I wouldn't talk if the problem was just the interface (that I hate) but we are experiencing all kind of issues here, trying to push this garbage out of it's bin.
    W7 never had this kind of issues.
    We always see comments like this from people who seem to think that they are the only people in the world. If you think that no one had issues with Windows 7 then you live in a fantasy world. I've used Windows 10 at work and on every machine I have at home since it has been available and I've never had any significant issue over and above what I've experienced with other versions of Windows and most other people are the same. Computers have issues. People have had issues with Windows 10, just like people have had issues with every version of Windows before that.

I've never had any issues with Win10 at home or work. I don't remember having issues with Win7, either, and I can't say I used any of the intermediates enough to have an opinion about them.

Change is hard on people. Some changes are harder than others, and some people have a harder time with changes than others. That tends to magnify differences between operating systems.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    We always see comments like this from people who seem to think that they are the only people in the world. If you think that no one had issues with Windows 7 then you live in a fantasy world. I've used Windows 10 at work and on every machine I have at home since it has been available and I've never had any significant issue over and above what I've experienced with other versions of Windows and most other people are the same. Computers have issues. People have had issues with Windows 10, just like people have had issues with every version of Windows before that.
    I'll give you that.
    But I can reverse that and say that we always see positive comments like that from people that thought that windows mobile are rising in popularity. They lived in their fantasy world.
    So don't be so absolute, as I've said, I see these issues in a multinational company from admins on the IT department running back and forth. Personally I'm sticking to the w7 64 bit PC at work and never had any issues, but the admins have issues, boy do they have issues. If you don't ever had issues then you are probably "light using" windows so, yeah you may not have issues if you are using them as a home PC.

But I can reverse that and say that we always see positive comments like that from people that thought that windows mobile are rising in popularity. They lived in their fantasy world.
    Captain irrelevant to the rescue.
    So don't be so absolute
    Um, hello! You're accusing me of being absolute? Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you the one who said this:
    as I've said, I see these issues in a multinational company
    And as I've said, other people have seen similar issues in multinational companies with Windows 7 and every other version of Windows before that too. Why is your experience more important than theirs?
    Personally I'm sticking to the w7 64 bit PC at work and never had any issues
    No problem. If you have no desire to change and no requirement to change, don't change. Just don't pretend that the overall likelihood of your running into issues if you did upgrade to Windows 10 is especially greater than it would have been for any other version of Windows.
    If you don't ever had issues then you are probably "light using" windows so, yeah you may not have issues if you are using them as a home PC.
    Seriously man, what universe do you live in? Yes, we professional software developers are such light users. I guess my gaming on this same home machine doesn't count either?

but the admins have issues, boy do they have issues.
    You could have stopped right there. We don't even have to be talking about operating systems for THAT statement to be true.

King of sapila

JM you seem not to understand or act like you don't understand.
    W10 have issues, can we at least agree on that? I gave some examples that I saw right there. Either that or I'm lying to get you pumped up (I don't)
    There is no need to break down everything so you can prove a point that does not really answer what I've said.
    To sum it up. I personally do not use W10, if I use them I may fall in love and see rainbows but seeing professional administrator getting into so much trouble with them is not hyping me in a positive way.
    I can say the opposite for Windows server though. Its seem to be really stable and we have replaced almost 100 servers that used older versions.
    And you are absolutely wrong saying that: yeah right professional software developers are such light users . To my opinion they are light users, caution, on the issues administrators are getting into that they break down all the patches active dirs WSUS email servers sql servers software installation incompatibilities user issues widows updates IIS issues transaction issues Security issues antivirus issues FTP issues connection issue etc.
    If you know all that in a high extend (I don't) then I take everything back. You did not like the mobile comment and pass it on with an irrelevant answer but that comment shows that you where absolute about something that was completely wrong. So you can make mistakes too that I can point out?Like W10 are fine because you did not have issues?
    Anyhow I admire your software knowledge and I am taking it into consideration as much as I can because in that field, clearly you know what you are talking about but in other fields, maybe not so much IMHO.
    You are using windows 10 and there is nothing wrong with them. Fine, i don't use w10 and i post what our admins are facing.
    I was actually thinking not to post this one because I have better things to do than argue for something like that, but you took me by the hair (is that the correct expression) on my first post, like I was a spammer or something here, so..

Apologies to everyone if this is unpleasant it is not my intention but I'll just post it for the heck of it with greetings and salutations (as we are on chit chat ) and to clear my mind on today's hell in the company (actually we had serious SQL security issues but I guess SQL have no bugs at all ) . Although i do prefer to leave it at that, so just straighten me up but I think this goes nowhere and I'll stop.

Edit: Shaggy is the man also
    Last edited by sapator; Sep 24th, 2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Hyping Shaggy so I don't get banned. Word!

JM you seem not to understand or act like you don't understand.
    W10 have issues, can we at least agree on that? I gave some examples that I saw right there. Either that or I'm lying to get you pumped up (I don't)
    No, apparently it's you who do not understand. I have not anywhere denied that people have had issues with Windows 10. We've already agreed on that. Nowhere did I state or even imply that there are not people who have had issues with Windows 10 or that the issue you reported didn't exist. What I'm denying is that people haven't had similar issues with Windows 7 and every other version of Windows - and every other OS for that matter - before it, which is what you seem to be implying or even outright stating. Your experience is not the only experience that has ever been had but you seem to think that your experience is representative of everyone else's. It's not. Some have had better and some have had worse with Windows 10, Windows 7 and any other OS you could mention. You are declaring that Windows 10 is what you have seen in this particular case and ignoring all the cases where it is better as well as all the cases where Windows 7 and older versions have created just as many headaches.

You did not like the mobile comment and pass it on with an irrelevant answer but that comment shows that you where absolute about something that was completely wrong.
    Except not. For a start, the only thing I was absolute about in terms of Windows 10 Mobile was optimistic and, secondly, you're the one who is being absolute about this. You're saying that Windows 10 is bad because you've seen issues in one particular case and ignoring every other case that you haven't seen.
    Like W10 are fine because you did not have issues?
    Again, you are the one who doesn't understand, and it seems willfully so. Again, I DID NOT say that Windows 10 hasn't had issues. In fact, I said more than once that it does. My point, which I have made and you have ignored more than once, is that Windows 10 doesn't have especially more issues than Windows 7 or earlier versions. That comment was projection at it's finest. You're accusing me of ignoring the experience of others when that's exactly what you're doing. Not only that, you have declared that Windows 7 is fine because you did not have issues and have completely ignored the fact that some did.

PowerPoster

I'm still trying to wrap my head around "professional administrator" one of the most hilarious oxymorons you can write in the English language.

I hated Vista and win7, jumped 8 but welcomed 8.1 as i brought my yoga pro 2 when it first come out. Safely say I love even more windows 10 then i did xp. Shame we apparently wont get a new os again. Only "updates".

King of sapila

To close this on my part.
    Windows 7 had issues but from the experience I had and the experience I saw from other people and professionals they are reacting a lot better than W10.
    Now what I am reading on the net, most of the read do not give credit to w10 but I was talking about my experience. Personally I dislike them an I'm seeing to many bugs that after 3-4 years of 10 existence we can compare them vs fully patched W7 after 4 years in existence. For me and from what I've seen they have a lot more misbehavior than 7.
    7 had bugs but after the service packs I haven't had any or the company did not have any serious ones. W10 have bugs and after the service packs we are getting a lot of bugs still.
    So that's about it. I've written my experience, we all know I'm a little rough on the edges when talking about MS don't need to over complicate this.
    OK one more thing. I remember when w8 came along some people ( ) where uplifting them and said they are very good and finally no start button etc. At least W10 are better than that monstrosity.

Edit: I don't get the "final windows release" thing. Will versions be available as service packs that change windows?

I was talking about my experience.
    And yet you said this:
    Maybe you shouldn't be so absolute.
    Edit: I don't get the "final windows release" thing. Will versions be available as service packs that change windows?
    It simply means that there will not be a Windows 11 that is a major overhaul to the OS like previous versions have been. They are continuing to develop Windows 10 and they are releasing major updates twice a year. There have already been (I think) six of those and the next one scheduled to be released in the next few weeks. You could consider those updates to be equivalent to service packs, but that terminology is no longer used.

King of sapila

I may be wrong of course but I'm willing to bet that they will actually release a new windows version.
    My thinking is that if they reach a finite amount of W10 packs been sold, they won't be gaining money with updates.
    Also I can see that as a windows server point of view they are releasing WS2019 so it would seem a little odd to have server 2025 and windows10.
    Of course they could cloud everything but for the time being I think they will release a new one.

Now for a more relaxing session.
    My windows favorites - experience from worst to best

Vista
    W8
    W10
    Millennium
    W2000
    W 3.1 - 3.0 (don't recall having older versions)
    W98
    W95
    XP
    No1 DOS 6.22

I may be wrong of course but I'm willing to bet that they will actually release a new windows version.
    Obviously Microsoft as a company will change over time and so new management may make different decisions but I'm inclined to think not. There just doesn't really seem to be a point. I suspect that the reason they went straight from 8 to 10 was that they wanted to end their existing upgrade model and 10 seemed like a nicer number to finish on than 9. Every new version of Windows previously was a rather large overhaul of the interface and I think that that is something they don't want to do again. The UI will change, as it has been since Windows 10 was released, but major changes in one go are something they want to avoid. They're just doing what Apple did with OS X. They keep releasing updates to OS X but it's still OS X. In the same way, they'll keep updating Windows 10 but it will still be Windows 10. I suspect that it won't be too long until the 10 basically gets dropped, in general use if not officially.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Why is your experience more important than theirs?
    Simple, because it's his experience. My opinion will always be more important than your opinion because it's my opinion and yours is only... well... yours.

It might sound like I'm being flippant (and I am... a bit) but this is a very real phenomenon if you're going to offer a product or service: everyone's going to judge it on their own experience and they're unlikely to give a damn about anyone else's.

Personally I think 8 and 8.1 were a wild and miss-aimed shot in the dark for Microsoft. It wasn't a particularly "bad" OS in itself but the paradigm shift was too great and, while I get the whole "they wanted to re-educate the user" argument, the alienation it caused is still being felt by many users today. The main reason some users are so reluctant to move to 10 isn't really about 10, it's about 8. 10's actually likely to be far more familiar to 7 users but that doesn't really mater - some folks were so alienated by 8 that any niggle they experience is likely to be exaggerated into a full blown catastrophe.

We can, if we want, sit here and rail in judgement against those users and, you know what, it won't make one jot of difference. Or we can look to Microsoft and say "You know what, you are responsible for users opinions of your OS. Their opinion may be accurate, miss-guided or just outright irrational but you still own it because you're the one trying to sell them something"
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Simple, because it's his experience. My opinion will always be more important than your opinion because it's my opinion and yours is only... well... yours.

It might sound like I'm being flippant (and I am... a bit) but this is a very real phenomenon if you're going to offer a product or service: everyone's going to judge it on their own experience and they're unlikely to give a damn about anyone else's.
    Of course people are going to value their own experience over that of others. That's not news to me. One person's experience isn't objectively more valuable though. Anyone who bases opinions and decisions solely on their own experience is being a fool though. Anyone has the right to be a fool if they want but I doubt sapator would admit that he was being one. Software developers basing their opinions of software solely on their own experience are being doubly foolish, because we have probably all had certain customers who have had issues with our own software that others haven't and the reasons can be many and varied. I have no issue with someone voicing an opinion but when you open with a statement like this:
    you're also voicing your opinion that your opinion is the only true opinion and I'm likely to voice my opinion on that. The claim that it was just an opinion based on personal experience smells rather of a facing-saving backtrack to me. That's no crime, of course, but it's also not something that you expect to go unnoticed. If it wasn't such a thing then that first statement was a very ill-conceived thing to write.

King of sapila

I must clarify something here cuz you are stuck with the "You can say whatever you want" in almost every post.
    I didn't give any relevance before but now think I understand the issue. The expression is actually translated from a Greek expression so it probably gives out different meaning.
    It does not really declare absolute positive opinion, it declares that you have your opinion and I have mine. I think that's where the problem is. A lost in translation.
    I also said that I got the opinion from the admins and other writing's on the internet. As I haven't really used W10 heavily, I'm relying my opinion most probably to other people and not me.
    So saying that w10 is a pain is an experience I personally have seen from admins that are 20 years+ in the business and not only one of course.
    I'll admit I've been a fool if you admit you've been one also
    Anyhow it's all in good friendly conversation, as I've said sometimes I'm a little rough to understand but that is really my charming personality
    Last edited by sapator; Sep 25th, 2018 at 06:46 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast