dcsimg

Thread: Access reports that databases are in an 'inconsistent state'

Access reports that databases are in an 'inconsistent state'

All of a sudden we keep getting this 'inconsistent state' error when opening our database. Access does it's thing, makes a backup, and repairs the database.

So far, it always seems to repair itself. However, it's happening more and more often.

It first began last Friday. I fixed it, all good.

Then it happened this morning. I fixed it.

Then it happened again a couple of hours later. I fixed it.

I did my due diligence and Googled it. Found several links, this one seemed pertinent. I would like to get an experts take on this suggested remedy, or maybe offer a better one. Or maybe tell me that I'm just screwed because it's not split and running multiple users over a network, even via RDP.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...6-d3a7c422dc1d
    Things I've found useful:
    DateTime.ToString() Patterns | Retrieving and Saving Data in Databases | ADO.NET Data Containers: An Explanation

Quote of the day from jmcilhinney:
    'Talking about Option Strict and Option Explicit in the same sentence is pointless unless it is to say that they should both be On.'

Re: Access reports that databases are in an 'inconsistent state'

I'll make this easier and post the part I'm concerned with:

The engineering team is aware of and working to fix this issue. In the meantime, disable the leasing on the file server where the database is stored and the client machine where Microsoft Access is running as a workaround. To do this:

Click Windows Start Press the Windows key and then type Command. Right-click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the following commands into the command prompt window:

REG ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters /v DisableLeasing /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

NET STOP SERVER

NET START SERVER

Close the command prompt window.
    DateTime.ToString() Patterns | Retrieving and Saving Data in Databases | ADO.NET Data Containers: An Explanation

'Talking about Option Strict and Option Explicit in the same sentence is pointless unless it is to say that they should both be On.'

Posted twice, not sure how.
    Last edited by jazFunk; Sep 12th, 2018 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Duplicate Post

Frenzied Member

running multiple users over a network, even via RDP
    am i interpreting that correct ?
    there is 1 computer with msaccess installed, that 1 computer also holds the database
    multiple users start that copy of msaccess via RDP, to access the database
    so, if there are 5 users, are there then 5 instances of access running on that 1 computer ?
    do not put off till tomorrow what you can put off forever

Quote Originally Posted by IkkeEnGij View Post
    am i interpreting that correct ?
    there is 1 computer with msaccess installed, that 1 computer also holds the database
    multiple users start that copy of msaccess via RDP, to access the database
    so, if there are 5 users, are there then 5 instances of access running on that 1 computer ?
    No, sir. The database resides on the server. Each user has Access installed on their computer and opens the same database from the same network location. RDP users, who also have Access installed, open the same database from the same location.

Frenzied Member

The database resides on the server. Each user has Access installed on their computer and opens the same database from the same network location.
    i see

RDP users, who also have Access installed, open the same database from the same location.
    i see,but confused, what has Remode Desktop Protocol to do with this ?

Quote Originally Posted by IkkeEnGij View Post
    i see

i see,but confused, what has Remode Desktop Protocol to do with this ?
    Just informing anyone who is attempting to help that we have users who are accessing the database via that method, as well.

So far, I think I've learned that I'm going to need to split my database.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

How many concurrent users do you have? Access isn't really designed to cope with multiple users. It'll handle a few but at some point it tends to start having issues. Have you considered moving to a "proper" server based database like SQL Server or MySQL?
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Frenzied Member

RDP users, who also have Access installed, open the same database from the same location.
    please explain step by step how these RDP users, who also have Access installed, open the same database from the same location.
    such as:
    1)user starts computer
    2)user starts RDP
    3)
    4)
    5)
    6)
    etc...