dcsimg

Thread: This is a question about the legality/ethics of using someone else's font

Sitting in an empty room trying to forget the past

This is a question about the legality/ethics of using someone else's font

My daughter asked me this question last night. I am pretty sure what she wants to do is OK but thought I would ask you guys.

She's a senior in high school and is on the yearbook committee and is designing the front cover. She found some free fonts that say something like for personal use only, or you can't use them in your business to earn money, etc. She said if she uses a free font then the yearbook company is making money off the sales of the books, does that negate her permission to use them?

Thanks.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: This is a question about the legality/ethics of using someone else's font

I'm pretty sure it does negate permission... it doesn't matter which person/organisation in the process is making money, the important thing is that the font is being used as part of something that makes money.

Of course this is based on assumptions of the actual wording of the terms, but most things like that are definitely against it.

Pretty much. Because sales are involved, it's no longer personal use but commercial. Personal use would more like a one-off report or something or use on a personal website. But in something that's going to be sold like a yearbook, that becomes a commercial situation and as such subject to exclusions.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

OK, thanks, glad I asked. So she needs to find fonts that she can pay for and then she has a right to reuse them? Or the fonts that are already bundled in Word?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

For something like this it might be worth sending an email to the font publisher. The wording of the license probably precludes it but it's quite likely that what she's doing falls within the spirit of what they'd allow. Email the publisher and ask they'd be happy for her to use it, perhaps at a small cost. The worst thing they can do is say no (or just not respond).
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

As you can see, this place is the font of wisdom, and you are free to use it as best you can.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Shaggy making puns? Well that's out of character. If your daughter wants to use a free resource, I think you should letter.
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Oh, boy. Here we go...

I might have come back with some kind of glyph remark, but I think we should keep this discussion of fonts on script.

I believe the question of legality has been covered adequately in brief, and I hope you find the law suits.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing