dcsimg

Thread: Visual Basic For Mobile App?

Visual Basic For Mobile App?

I was downloading Visual studio free community version to my personal Surface.

I saw "Mobile Development with .NET", does it mean VB.NET?

Not a professional developer, but very interested to be one in the future.

I never use Apple products so far, I am an Android user. I read an article before, basically, it says iOS app has to be built on some kind of Apple platform, is it correct? How can it be built in Visual Studio?

When building an mobile app in Visual Studio, how can we put it on Google Play store and Apple App Store? How to turn mobile app profitable? Advisement? I saw some website with Google advertisement, if the website is popular and a lot of daily visit, then it can be profitable? When people set up youtube channel with a lot of clicks, then making a little money too.

So how can we turn mobile app profitable? Not rely on it for living, but if it can be side job and add a little side income, then it is worth to learn to build some mobile apps. Or be a part time app developer.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by VAian; Sep 1st, 2018 at 07:13 AM.

Re: Visual Basic For Mobile App?

As it says there, that mobile development is done using Xamarin, which is a technology developed by a third party and bought by Microsoft a while back. It only supported C# originally and VB support is still not on par. I'm not sure where it's actually at as I haven't tried it myself but this suggests that it was/is on the way:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vbt...-net-standard/

That talks about VS 15.3 and we're currently on 15.8.2.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    As it says there, that mobile development is done using Xamarin, which is a technology developed by a third party and bought by Microsoft a while back. It only supported C# originally and VB support is still not on par. I'm not sure where it's actually at as I haven't tried it myself but this suggests that it was/is on the way:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vbt...-net-standard/

That talks about VS 15.3 and we're currently on 15.8.2.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

Thanks for the information.

Android is also done by Xamarin? I mistakenly thought Android and iOS are done by different programming languages. A while ago, I read an article, basic meaning is: some developers prefer to release on Apple store than Google Play store, since app on Apple store tend to be more profitable, although the number of android users is much more than that of iOS user.

Now this is confused to me: if they(android & iOS) use same language, it is cross-platform, why developers do not release their mobiles app in both stores at the same time?

Thanks.

We're getting beyond the realms of VB.NET now, so I'm going to ask the mods to move this thread to Mobile Development or General Development.

Apple development was originally done in Objective C but is moving mostly to Swift these days. Google originally targeted Java but I think a lot is done mainly using JavaScript now. Xamarin is now a Microsoft product and was targeted originally at Microsoft developers. Most developers who were already targeting iOS and/or Android aren't going to migrate to Xamarin and C# when they are already invested in other languages and technologies. For a .NET developer though, it's the path of least resistance.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

I think General Dev, for now.

Xamarin can build for both, and to some extent, I believe that you can also do so with Cordova, though I believe you have to do a bit more to get such an app on iOS. Deploying to Apple is more of a hassle. They keep that a closed ecosystem that you have to buy into. That helps in a variety of ways, but hurts in a variety of ways, as well. Lots of people simply won't target one or the other for some reason. For example, I have a Cordova app that targets Android because it needs access to the SD card. Apple doesn't have those, at least not removable SD cards, so the app wouldn't work for them. They also have some other limitations. Therefore, Apple is out of the question, for my needs. There may be lots of people in that boat to some extent (maybe hanging over the sides horking over the oddities of JavaScript).

I tried out Xamarin, and fought with it for a time. Currently, the documentation for Xamarin is both lacking and bizarre. One thing MS does really well is documentation, so they may fix that particular deficiency. Xamarin is pretty buggy, which would be far more tolerable if the strange behavior was actually documented. MS might fix up the bugginess of Xamarin as well as the documentation...or else MS might kill off Xamarin. You never can be certain what direction MS is going to go next. Still, Xamarin does give you the promise of writing for both Apple and Android...you just have to get through the hair-tearing that Xamarin induces. For that reason, if you are going to use Xamarin, you'd be better off shaving your head, first. I eventually abandoned that approach simply because I realized that I was so very slow getting anything done that I simply didn't have the time to get a full application working. That may be the main reason that people aren't commonly writing for both platforms, though what JMC said may also be the primary reason.

Basically, Xamarin has to get a bit better before it would become a good means to write for both, which MS may do. Cordova is also something to look into. That's not .NET in any way, but JavaScript. Fortunately, JS is well documented, overly-popular, and well integrated into the most recent version of VS. MS is doing a better and better job with JS. It was only reasonably good in 2015, and much better in 2017. VS may now be the best IDE for writing JS, and it is likely to get better.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Xamarin doesn't currently support VB.Net only C# development.

The link JMC posted shows that VB support is in the very early stages i wouldn't try and use VB with Xamarin just yet

If you use Xamarin forms you can target Android and IOS with a single package using C# but do be aware that Xamarin also uses XAML for the forms design and you can also bind data to the page using XAML.

Whether in the future your using VB or C# in Xamarin you will need to learn some XAML, you can design pages purely in code but somethings just dont work.

For instance i created a page with a picker control (drop down) and in C# you cant bind it to your model but in XAML you can.

This is probably a bug but they tend to fix things faster in the XAML side of thing so i have moved all my page design and data binding in to XAML as it just works better !
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you