dcsimg

Thread: Sharing source with others remotely

Sharing source with others remotely

I've got a ton of stored procedures saved as text files (SomeSproc.sql) and I've got to start sharing them with staff onsite at one of my customer sites. They want to be able to make small adjustments to them and what not.

What is a good way to share these resources? GitHub? Some other source-control product? Just share a OneDrive link to the folder?

Thoughts?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Re: Sharing source with others remotely

Where do they keep source code now? It might be best to follow the site's current process.

PowerPoster

I really don't have any advise on where to store the files but I would suggest that they NOT be able to modify the original files. Make them make a copy and store the copy where ever they choose. Then they can do what they ever they want.

If you want actual source control then maybe VS Online is an option, which is backed by Git. Otherwise, OneDrive would certainly do the job. I'm sure that there are plenty of other similar options but, as someone who uses mostly Microsoft products and service, I generally use OneDrive and have mostly good experiences with it.
    Why is my data not saved to my database? | MSDN Data Walkthroughs
    VBForums Database Development FAQ
    My CodeBank Submissions: VB | C#
    My Blog: Data Among Multiple Forms (3 parts)
    Beginner Tutorials: VB | C# | SQL

I keep them in a OneDrive folder right now so they stay synced between my Surface (I travel with every day) and my home office work station.

I just looked at how detailed the version history is when you view one of these folders from your online OneDrive page. Nice stuff.

I couldn't find a setting though for how long to retain that version history.

But could certainly use OneDrive for this purpose. Especially if I setup some backup software to make copies weekly or monthly. I've got a TB of space and only using 50GB right now!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Keeping the git in GitHub: The Enterprise™ programming language.

I downloaded Sourcetree which I thought was going to be a nice and easy UI for this purpose and found the install and setup of additional users not very clear.

@dil: Is your link to a UI or the backend thingy?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

As far as I can tell it is just some poor taste late April Fool's Day joke.