Thread: MS Access 2016 Report "WhereCondition" not being applied

MS Access 2016 Report "WhereCondition" not being applied

I have the following code, yet, the report is never filtered; I get all records in the database. While I've tried various syntax options, nothing seems to work. This leads me to believe I'm looking at a problem not related to syntax.

strWhere = "ShipperID = " & Me.cmbShipperList.Value
    DoCmd.OpenReport "rptAllSignDataByJob", acPreview, , strWhere

An important note is that this report is based upon an extremely complex query with many types of querries and tables included.

Technically, the field name "ShipperID" is from tblStationStatus and thus you would think referring to it is "tblStationStatus.ShipperID" would work, but the field name in the existing fields list is simply "ShipperID". Regardless, neither works.

I just want to open the filtered report and keep the parameters out of the query.

Thanks, in advance.
    Things I've found useful:
    DateTime.ToString() Patterns | Retrieving and Saving Data in Databases | ADO.NET Data Containers: An Explanation

Quote of the day from jmcilhinney:
    'Talking about Option Strict and Option Explicit in the same sentence is pointless unless it is to say that they should both be On.'

PowerPoster

Re: MS Access 2016 Report "WhereCondition" not being applied

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Is this link to suggest that I should use OpenArgs or to show me proper formatting syntax? I'm not currently using OpenArgs and do not completely understand them. Although, I could easily search on how to, just wanted to make sure that is what you were getting at.
    DateTime.ToString() Patterns | Retrieving and Saving Data in Databases | ADO.NET Data Containers: An Explanation

'Talking about Option Strict and Option Explicit in the same sentence is pointless unless it is to say that they should both be On.'

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jazFunk View Post
    Is this link to suggest that I should use OpenArgs or to show me proper formatting syntax? I'm not currently using OpenArgs and do not completely understand them. Although, I could easily search on how to, just wanted to make sure that is what you were getting at.
    Not at all, it about using ' around your sting value. One of the post shows the proper syntax for various data types.

edit - maybe I'm wrong and ShippId is a number.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Aug 25th, 2018 at 03:19 PM.

Not at all, it about using ' around your sting value. One of the post shows the proper syntax for various data types.
    I see. But the value for ShipperID in the database is an integer. I've also tried converting the combobox value to an integer, but still nothing gets applied.

I've found this link which states if my query already has a Where condition, I cannot use the WhereCondition of the report. This may be my problem and I may need to use FilterName instead. But, I don't quite get it, either. it looks like it needs to refer to an existing query.. not sure I understand.

https://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=592834

Here's the quote from the link:

"The Where parameter is Before the RecordSource is applied. The Filter property is After.

The Filter and Where condition are NOT the same thing. With a Filter, the Recordsource is used as is, i.e., the report query is run as given. All the records are then returned but only those that match the Filter are passed onto the report for further processing.

With a Where, it's as if a Where clause was tacked onto the end of the RecordSource. The RecordSource with this new Where clause appended to it is then used as the report's actual query.

If the RecordSource already has a Where clause or if it ends in some other clause that mornally follows the Where (Group By, Having, etc.), the OpenReport Where parameter won't work correctly. You can't tack on a Where clause at the end if it doesn't normally belong there."

I believe this is my problem.

Deleted Text
    Last edited by jazFunk; Aug 25th, 2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Posted twice. No idea why. Deleted text as I can't delete post.

PowerPoster

Sounds reasonable. I'm not an expert on MS Access reports, I just thought perhaps ShipperID was a string and the missing ' was your problem. Good luck

Sounds reasonable. I'm not an expert on MS Access reports, I just thought perhaps ShipperID was a string and the missing ' was your problem. Good luck
    Appreciate the input, as always. Wish it was that simple. That kind of error still gets me occasionally, to this day.