dcsimg

Thread: VB6 in Window 10

VB6 in Window 10

Hi

I have unfortunately been tasked with taking over a VB6 system that has two facets being a Client on a tablet and a Host on a server. Currently all connectivity is handled via a USB plugin whereby information captured on the Client is transferred to the Host which then updates it and posts responses to a specific directory on the USB plugin for updating to the Client. In my opinion this is very out of date and manual.

I have been tasked with making the Client and Host talk via the internet so that all updates are immediate and responses back happen in seconds. The triggering of an update on the Client is to be via a Push VB6 button and the Client must the go into wait mode until the Response directory on the Host contains the reply which it then pulls to the Client. The Push VB6 button on the Client must trigger this operation automatically.

Can anyone help me with the necessary VB6 code to do this and what I must have to achieve the desired results.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mac

Re: VB6 in Window 10

First off: Are the tablet and the server on the same Network (as in LAN)?
    "...Client and Host talk via the internet..." is so an ambiguous a description
    One System to rule them all, One IDE to find them,
    One Code to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For health reasons i try to avoid reading unformatted Code

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post
    First off: Are the tablet and the server on the same Network (as in LAN)?
    "...Client and Host talk via the internet..." is so an ambiguous a description
    Hi
    Thanks for the response.
    The Host (Server) will be a Windows 2010 machine and the Client (Tablets) will will probably be Windows 2008. To paint a better picture the Clients (Tablets) will be gathering data in the shape of completing electronic forms at multiple locations throughout Southern Africa and the need is that when a file transfer is required this will be triggered by the pressing of a button in the software. At this stage I assume that the Client (Tablet) will link to the Host (Server) via the internet using some form of IP Address and will download the captured data to a specific directory on the Host (Server).
    I hope this clarifies the situation.
    Regards
    Mac

Hyperactive Member

Consider using FTP.

You can easily install an ftp server software such as filezilla (free) on the host\server.

Then when you want to send, you can use create and execute a batch file (https://www.jscape.com/blog/using-wi...file-transfers)

Your other options include using Winsock, http post, on ftp via winInet but i wouldn't recommend them for beginners.

PowerPoster

I think the O.P. clearly stated that an online interactive application is the goal. File transfers won't really cut it.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I think the O.P. clearly stated that an online interactive application is the goal. File transfers won't really cut it.
    His description is confusing. He states "the need is that when a file transfer is required this will be triggered by the pressing of a button in the software" which sounds like a great use for FTP

PowerPoster

I agree that the problem isn't expressed well and left out many important details about the network topology. The need to operate over the public Internet dictates a number of messy things about the server hosting requirements.

But I was referring to:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMacGregor View Post
    I have been tasked with making the Client and Host talk via the internet so that all updates are immediate and responses back happen in seconds.

Addicted Member

What I can see that, currently he collects the information via a client program on Tablet PCs (clients) and saves them to a file in the client itself inside a USB drive. Then the USB drive is plugged-in to the Server machine manually. The specific file in the USB drive is then read by the server program and response is generated as another form of a file and saved it inside the USB drive which is then read by the client program and update it.

What he may be asking is that to do this manual task automatically.

In this scenario, according to his requirement, he needs to upload the file generated by the client to the server. The server program should then read the uploaded file and generate a response in the form of a file in the server. After response is generated, the client program should read it from the server and update the client program. However, direct file transferring via ftp may may not be the effective way for this particular task.

For immediate update and responses, I would suggest, it would be better to have a database for this scenario with database triggers and/or expose a Web Service to be used by the client so that you can do the transmission of your current information in the form of SOAP messages. (your client information as SOAP request and your server response as SOAP response)

Another simple approach is that you create a web page (may be with php) in the server in order to get the client information via POST method and process them and generate the response and display it in the web page. Now your client program can use an internal web browser to use this web page to feed the data to it and read data from it as an intermediate way.

Note: However, all those methods may depend on the kind of information your client/server program generates in the form of response and request.
    Last edited by PGBSoft; Aug 23rd, 2018 at 02:44 PM.

Addicted Member

---double post deleted---