Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a desktop software that has permanent vitality like Photoshop?

PowerPoster

Is there a desktop software that has permanent vitality like Photoshop?

There are now thousands of software products, but most products only have a life cycle of 5-15 years. There is only one exception, that is Photoshop, which seems to have permanent vitality.

My questions are:
    1. Are there other desktop software products that have the same permanent life as PhotoShop?
    2. Is it possible to develop a PhotoShop-like product using RC5.Cairo?

The following is Colibrico UI, which is developed using RC5.Cairo:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Addicted Member

Re: Is there a desktop software that has permanent vitality like Photoshop?

Quote Originally Posted by dreammanor View Post
    There are now thousands of software products, but most products only have a life cycle of 5-15 years. There is only one exception, that is Photoshop, which seems to have permanent vitality.

My questions are:
    1. Are there other desktop software products that have the same permanent life as PhotoShop?

The following is Colibrico UI, which is developed using RC5.Cairo:

Haven't you tried PhotoDemon? Try it below. A great giant work totally developed in VB6.
    https://photodemon.org/

Name:  PD_screenshot_master.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  44.3 KB

Sourcecode at GitHub
    https://github.com/tannerhelland/PhotoDemon

PowerPoster

Photoshop is focussing primarily on PixelGraphics.
    Colibrico on SVG-VectorGraphics.

So that's two different pair of shoes (although in most modern Graphics-Apps the Pixel- and Vector-functionality overlaps somewhat).

The closest VB6-implementation to PhotoShop (also doing Pixel-Manipulation primarily) is probably Tanners PhotoDemon.

Olaf

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by PGBSoft View Post
    Haven't you tried PhotoDemon? Try it below. A great giant work totally developed in VB6.
    Hi PGBSoft, thank you for your reply. I knew PhotoDemon very early, it's really great.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Photoshop is focussing primarily on PixelGraphics.
    Colibrico on SVG-VectorGraphics.

So that's two different pair of shoes (although in most modern Graphics-Apps the Pixel- and Vector-functionality overlaps somewhat).

The closest VB6-implementation to PhotoShop (also doing Pixel-Manipulation primarily) is probably Tanners PhotoDemon.

Olaf
    Tanner's PhotoDemon is great. If his PhotoDemo is developed on the basis of RC5.Cairo, then a lot of development work can be reduced, and PhotoDemon's functions will be more powerful. It's too hard to make a product like PhotoShop from scratch. If we use powerful third-party tools, the situation may be completely different.

In the past, when some people developed desktop software with pure VB6 without the help of third-party tools, compared with those of world-famous products, their products still have some gaps in UI, function, performance and modernity. Now RC5 can completely eliminate these gaps, unfortunately, the desktop software market is getting less and less. That's why I want to know if there is other desktop software that have the same long-term viability as PhotoShop. I'm currently planning for my next 10 years, hoping to find a challenging and promising software field to fight for 10 years.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Aug 17th, 2018 at 07:08 AM.

PowerPoster

I am not sure what you mean by permanent life such as photo shop. While I have never used photoshop I would assume that they have updated it adding features and released as new versions many times over the years. Are you saying that the original version of photo shop still works fine on todays systems?

I see that QuarkXPress is still around. First used it in high school for laying out yearbook pages, then again in college while on the newspaper staff. And even then it was well-established, so that's one that's been around some 30+ years...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hmmm...

Paint Shop Pro seems to be holding its own.

And, are we restricting ourselves to picture editing software?

Word, Excel, & PowerPoint seem to have rather permanent vitality (1995).
    SPSS is on that list as well (originally released in 1968).
    Personally, I'd also have to include G*Power (released in 1992).

If we allow languages in, Java (1995) seems to be holding its own.
    C and C++ have had quite a run as well.
    And I still occasionally run across some Fortran being developed (1957).

Those are just some I use rather frequently. I suspect other people with other specialties can add to the list.

Best,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Yeah, I have no idea whether this is a question of whether an application still runs on Windows 10 or it has undergone a continuous stream of new revisions for a long time.

It feels more like a commercial for somebody's library though.

Fanatic Member

You could look at PhotoModularFX. ( PORTABLE )
    It uses RC5 for UI and other things.

it's on

You can see some example of Photo Effect HERE

And a List of Modules/effects that can be combined together connecting inputs and outputs HERE

( Btw , I developed it ... it's in my signature )

PowerPoster

Hi DataMiser, techgnome, Elroy, dilettante, reexre

My understanding of the "permanent vitality" of software is as follows:
    1. Existed for many years until now.
    2. Has always been imitated, has never been surpassed
    3. Is irreplaceable
    4. Has important social and commercial value.
    5. Will not be eliminated due to the popularity of the Internet and mobile phones.

Why do I think PhotoShop has "permanent vitality"? Because PhotoShop has the above five features. I'd like to talk about why PhotoShop won't be eliminated because of the popularity of the Internet and mobile phones.

A single file handled by Photoshop often reaches hundreds of megabytes, or even a few gigabytes, so it is not suitable for web-apps. PhotoShop is mainly used by professionals, they often need a large computer screen, so it is not suitable for mobile-apps. So PhotoShop has always been an evergreen tree in desktop software.

MS Office also has a long life, but it is a monopoly on the Windows platform, no other companies can challenge it, so I didn't compare it with PhotoShop.

In addition, when I talk about these softwares with "long-lived vitality", I mean whether we can use VB6 to develop similar products (sorry, this is mainly because my title is not clearly stated). So I didn't compare the programming languages with PhotoShop.

PowerPoster

3. Is irreplaceable
    Hmmm yet I have managed just fine with Paint Shop Pro for the last 20 years or so and never had a need to even look at photoshop so it is clearly not irreplaceable.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Hmmm yet I have managed just fine with Paint Shop Pro for the last 20 years or so and never had a need to even look at photoshop so it is clearly not irreplaceable.
    PhotoShop users are mainly enterprise users, especially advertising companies, art design companies, printing companies, film production companies, and game software vendors.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by reexre View Post
    You could look at PhotoModularFX. ( PORTABLE )
    It uses RC5 for UI and other things.

it's on

You can see some example of Photo Effect HERE

And a List of Modules/effects that can be combined together connecting inputs and outputs HERE

( Btw , I developed it ... it's in my signature )
    It's really great, I hope more and more people will use it.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    It feels more like a commercial for somebody's library though.
    I always like to use the best tools, just like I used to use FarpointSpread. IMO, RC5 is the best VB6 tool I've ever seen. If you disagree with me, could you recommend a VB development tool that is better than RC5? The paid product can also be considered, as long as it can really help me.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Aug 18th, 2018 at 08:28 AM.

I also don’t understand this topic.

You start with Photoshop and sustainability, you compare this with some other graphics tool, which happens to be created by Olaf.
    Now you end with a question about programming solutions which at the end is a question about a replacement for RC5, also written by Olaf.

Your recent threads make no sense to me at all

Fanatic Member

It's really great, I hope more and more people will use it.
    Thanks !

About RC5 , I agree that it is a powerful tool.
    At first I was a bit skeptical, but slowly I got comfortable.
    moreover, as you can see in the PhotoModularFX vbForum, Olaf was very willing to help me and guide me. (In general he is always like that)
    I used it mainly for the UI
    And some Modules that uses Cairo-Drawing function like the ones who's name begin with "X" ( Like xPainter )
    or RenderEX
    Name:  RenderEX3-22.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  27.3 KB

Moreover I used it for custom FORMULA(s) modules, that uses cActiveScript
    Name:  FormulaPALM.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  20.9 KB

Hi DataMiser, techgnome, Elroy, dilettante, reexre

My understanding of the "permanent vitality" of software is as follows:
    1. Existed for many years until now.
    2. Has always been imitated, has never been surpassed
    3. Is irreplaceable
    4. Has important social and commercial value.
    5. Will not be eliminated due to the popularity of the Internet and mobile phones.

Why do I think PhotoShop has "permanent vitality"? Because PhotoShop has the above five features. I'd like to talk about why PhotoShop won't be eliminated because of the popularity of the Internet and mobile phones.

A single file handled by Photoshop often reaches hundreds of megabytes, or even a few gigabytes, so it is not suitable for web-apps. PhotoShop is mainly used by professionals, they often need a large computer screen, so it is not suitable for mobile-apps. So PhotoShop has always been an evergreen tree in desktop software.

MS Office also has a long life, but it is a monopoly on the Windows platform, no other companies can challenge it, so I didn't compare it with PhotoShop.

In addition, when I talk about these softwares with "long-lived vitality", I mean whether we can use VB6 to develop similar products (sorry, this is mainly because my title is not clearly stated). So I didn't compare the programming languages with PhotoShop.

Say Dreammanor,

If you want to take a look at something that meets all those criteria in spades, try looking at SPSS. It's been around since 1968, used to be in head-to-head competition with SAS, but is now the clear leader on micro-computers. SAS has retreated to being a cloud-based application. Regarding imitations, there are many: Statistica, Minitab, JASP, and even an interesting package called PSPP (a pun-reversal of SPSS), which is a fully open-source "look-alike" of SPSS.

In many people's opinion, it's absolutely irreplaceable. It has incredible social and commercial value, being the statistical package the data were analyzed with for probably more than half of the science you read about. And there's little doubt that the internet or mobile phones will affect its popularity in any material way.

It just seemed that you've picked on the specific area of image manipulation, and it's not clear why, other than for the same reason you see people go off course in statistics forums when they start talking about PSPP (which, I'll admit, is an interesting development, mostly because it's an open-source alternative to SPSS).

Just Saying,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    I also don’t understand this topic.

You start with Photoshop and sustainability, you compare this with some other graphics tool, which happens to be created by Olaf.
    Now you end with a question about programming solutions which at the end is a question about a replacement for RC5, also written by Olaf.

Your recent threads make no sense to me at all
    Sorry, I didn't express my meaning clearly. I have modified the reply to dilettante. (In fact, what I want to say is that there is no better VB6 development framework than RC5, unless dilettante can recommend one to me)

My emotions are not very good these days. The attitude of Elroy (including others) to Olaf shocked me and even angered me.

Edit:
    There are always people who are addicted in some old VB6 technologies, which I can fully understand. Sometimes I myself like this. But I'm full of curiosity and expectation for every technology or tool that can promote the development of VB6. I like to see different solutions, and I'm grateful to everyone who replies to my threads, even though his comments and solutions are not adopted by me, because I think other people may be able to learn from these solutions.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Aug 19th, 2018 at 02:22 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Say Dreammanor,

If you want to take a look at something that meets all those criteria in spades, try looking at SPSS. It's been around since 1968, used to be in head-to-head competition with SAS, but is now the clear leader on micro-computers. SAS has retreated to being a cloud-based application. Regarding imitations, there are many: Statistica, Minitab, JASP, and even an interesting package called PSPP (a pun-reversal of SPSS), which is a fully open-source "look-alike" of SPSS.

In many people's opinion, it's absolutely irreplaceable. It has incredible social and commercial value, being the statistical package the data were analyzed with for probably more than half of the science you read about. And there's little doubt that the internet or mobile phones will affect its popularity in any material way.

It just seemed that you've picked on the specific area of image manipulation, and it's not clear why, other than for the same reason you see people go off course in statistics forums when they start talking about PSPP (which, I'll admit, is an interesting development, mostly because it's an open-source alternative to SPSS).

Just Saying,
    Elroy
    During 2008-1013, we have been providing BI consulting to our clients. So I'm very familiar with QlikView, Sportfire, Tableau, and I also have some understanding of IBM's BI and Microsoft BI, but SPSS didn't catch my attention at the time. I don't think SPSS is an irreplaceable software. In addition, SPSS is too specialized, and IBM's BI is mainly used for large enterprises, so there is no comparability between it and PhotoShop.

PowerPoster

When it comes to SPSS, I want to ask dilettante and Elroy (including other experienced VB6 developers) a few questions:

1. Do you think who in vbFormus can use VB6 to develop a software like SPSS?

2. I've never seen a world-class commercial software developed using VB6, so I wonder if anyone has the confidence to use VB6 to develop a world-class business software.

3. Who can develop an UI like Colibrico without using third-party tools?

4. Do the people using VB6 have a very low requirements for the quality of the software?

5. What is the best VB6 software you have ever seen?
    Last edited by dreammanor; Aug 19th, 2018 at 03:04 AM.

Who cares which tool is used for creating whatever application.
    Use whatever you like, whatever you know.
    I use VB6 a lot, but you seem to look for excuses to keep using VB6 yourself.

PowerPoster

Who cares which tool is used for creating whatever application.
    Use whatever you like, whatever you know.
    I use VB6 a lot, but you seem to look for excuses to keep using VB6 yourself.
    Have you compared some of the products you have made with the world's top products? No matter what tool or language you use.

PowerPoster

I think VB6 is also used or got used on software for internal use and thus not for sell.

When it comes to SPSS, I want to ask dilettante and Elroy (including other experienced VB6 developers) a few questions:

2. I've never seen a world-class commercial software developed using VB6, so I wonder if anyone has the confidence to use VB6 to develop a world-class business software.

4. Do the people using VB6 have a very low requirements for the quality of the software?

VB6 fills a -gap- between the -BIG Software Giants-(like S_P etc..)
    I have allways encounterd Company's using the -BIG-Software- have had some sort of..Excel;Access solution to suit the special needs.
    I've seen this in ..personnel dep. ; quality assurance ; Logistic etc..

Requesting the -BIG Software Giants- to write this -Special-Modul- to there special needs cost's a small fortune.

IMO VB6 can fill this gap

regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Addicted Member

I just remembered the old thread "Bring back Classic Visual Basic, an improved version of VB6"

If it happens somehow as expected, with the support of Microsoft, we will surely discuss here in a quite different way.

Hmmm,

Well, question #1. I think we need to turn it on it's head just a bit. Of the people who use computers (secretaries, accountants, engineers, nurses, etc, etc) how many of them use PhotoShop? Not that many. So PhotoShop is also a specialty software. Although, probably half of the geeks like us probably do use it. (Personally, I love the simplicity of my PSP5 and PSP7, having both installed).

Now, if you go into virtually any science area of any university, how many professors and grad students are required to use SPSS? I can guarantee that it's virtually all of them. And this is also becoming more and more true in business analytics.

Question #2: Once upon a time, there was world class software developed in VB6 and its precursors. The one that immediately comes to mind is Peachtree Accounting Software. They're still around, but QuickBooks has pretty much blown them out of the water.

And, these days, because everyone is heading toward 64-bit stuff (or at least wants to have that option), VB6 becomes a bit of a non-starter. And also, the people with tons of financial resources have already converted to .NET or re-written into C++ or Java.

Question #3, Colibrico: I don't know what it is, so I can't say. Personally, I think I can do just about anything that can be done with computers using VB6, and I'll write ALL my tools (or use open-source code to help). But that's just me.

Question #4: All I can say is that I don't. I suspect you'll find sloppy code regardless of the language.

Question #5: I'll be egocentric with this one. Mine!

DreamManor, you take care.

Best,
    Elroy

PowerPoster

Personally, I love the simplicity of my PSP5 and PSP7, having both installed
    PSP has been my go to as well. I have PSP6 on this PC. I had several older versions at one point and also had PSP7 installed a while back but seemed to have misplaced it.

Personally, I really like the simplicity of PSP5. That's why I keep it. However, they hadn't completely figured out the alpha layer by then, so I have to use PSP7 to "get at" any alpha layer. I suspect more recent versions have more features, but when Corel got their hands on it, they reworked the interface such that I didn't like it anymore.

IMHO, there are some cases of old versions of software that just keep on being useful.

Best Regards,
    Elroy

This is a pretty strange and disturbing thread. It comes across as blatant advertising, and if it isn't that, it's blatantly weird. I have software written for platforms that no longer exist. If you can tell me what the future is going to bring, I might be able to write something that will withstand whatever changes come. Otherwise, it's all just a gamble. Somebody mentioned C/C++, which is a great example. One might say that C predates pretty much anything else mentioned, and it's still around, but nobody who knows it would say that ANSI C is the same as pre-ANSI C, despite great similarities, and there have been different editions of ANSI C, as well.

You can build software that will last through time if certain factors are met, such as:

1) Either the platform doesn't change, or the software can change with the platform.
    2) The needs of the consumer doesn't change.
    3) Nobody comes up with a better way to do the same thing.
    4) Nobody comes up with a more popular way to do the same thing.
    5) Nobody comes up with a cheaper way to do the same thing.
    6) Random chance doesn't take interests in some other direction for no clearly discernible reason.

Photoshop isn't some great success story. Photoshop is just a survivor. Everybody on here can name great hardware and software that didn't catch on, or disappeared for one reason or another. The same is true of RC5. If the criteria for success is longevity, then you can't call anything successful except in retrospect.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Question #4: All I can say is that I don't. I suspect you'll find sloppy code regardless of the language.
    The quality of the software includes many aspects, such as a modern UI, powerful features, high execution efficiency, flexible architecture, secure data processing, and stable execution.

You always use very outdated technology (I can fully understand this, after all, your software has been used for 35 years), you always adopt a very conservative solution, so I don't think you have a high requirements for the quality of the software. At least do not meet my requirements, or do not meet the requirements of commercial software.

Note: The commercial software I mentioned here refers to the general software that is publicly sold and may have many competitors and has been tested by the market, it is not a customized software for some special users.

The quality of the software includes many aspects, such as a modern UI, powerful features, high execution efficiency, flexible architecture, secure data processing, and stable execution.

You always use very outdated technology (I can fully understand this, after all, your software has been used for 35 years), you always adopt a very conservative solution, so I don't think you have a high requirements for the quality of the software. At least do not meet my requirements, or do not meet the requirements of commercial software.

Note: The commercial software I mentioned here refers to the general software that is publicly sold and may have many competitors and has been tested by the market, it is not a customized software for some special users.
    that statement is just disrespectful
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

PowerPoster

@Shaggy Hiker:

It's not an advertisement, it's just a question I think about occasionally.

My project has been completed, I'm working on an installer for my project, and I want to know how Olaf organizes the file directory structure for his software. So I temporarily downloaded Colibrico and studied its file directory structure.

When I opened Colibrico, its UI was very cool and very professional, which reminded me of PhotoShop. There are many companies in China that have the ability to develop software similar to SSPS, but no company can develop a software like PhotoShop. So I sent the above thread and hope to discuss this problom.

I have not tested any of Colibrico's features, and I have never thought of advertising for Colibrico. Colibrico belongs to those who need it, I don't need it right now.

I'm sorry for the trouble I brought to Olaf. Although I'm a fanatical supporter of RC5, I have no private communication with Olaf (mainly I don't want to bother him), the only one private message between us is about Japanese "haiku-suff". Olaf is my most admired person, I'll always be grateful to him and always support him.

Shaggy Hiker, I just want to ask you a question: What is the best VB6 software you have ever seen?

I've tested countless software, and the best VB6 software I've ever seen is RC5.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Aug 20th, 2018 at 06:54 AM.

My questions are:
    PhotoShop is a niche product. For comparison Microsoft Office has 100x licenses sold and is in business at least for as long (if not longer than) as Adobe.

No, that would be quite impossible and it's not RC5 fault. VB6 is not low-level enough for computation intensive operations, e.g. you don't have access to any SIMD instructions besides early MMX. VB6 has no way to program for the GPU at all, too.

You have to write plugins in C/C++ to be able to use AVX-512 for instance. Most Single Program Multiple Data development is on C/C++ front like Intel SPMD Program Compiler -- *The Way* to achieve decent parallelism on CPU for modern ISA.

So basicly PhotoShop-like product like PhotoDaemon is achievable, but PhotoShop-level as research papers and state-of-art algorithms and SPMD compilers is out of reach.

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    that statement is just disrespectful
    I am sorry if I offend Elroy. Elroy used to be one of my most respected people, but not now. Now vbForums has a very bad atmosphere: blindly promoting those old technologies and constantly reject new technologies, which made me very disappointed.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Aug 20th, 2018 at 06:40 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    PhotoShop is a niche product. For comparison Microsoft Office has 100x licenses sold and is in business at least for as long (if not longer than) as Adobe.

No, that would be quite impossible and it's not RC5 fault. VB6 is not low-level enough for computation intensive operations, e.g. you don't have access to any SIMD instructions besides early MMX. VB6 has no way to program for the GPU at all, too.

You have to write plugins in C/C++ to be able to use AVX-512 for instance. Most Single Program Multiple Data development is on C/C++ front like Intel SPMD Program Compiler -- *The Way* to achieve decent parallelism on CPU for modern ISA.

So basicly PhotoShop-like product like PhotoDaemon is achievable, but PhotoShop-level as research papers and state-of-art algorithms and SPMD compilers is out of reach.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Hi wqweto,
    Your reply is what I hope to discuss in this thread. I never thought about discussing advertising. Thank you, wqweto.

Very strange, every night, the vbForums web page response speed is very slow, there is no way to browse the thread, and there is no way to post. There are no problems with other websites.

I am sorry if I offend Elroy. Elroy used to be one of my most respected people, but not now. Now vbForums has a very bad atmosphere: blindly promoting those old technologies and constantly reject new technologies, which made me very disappointed.
    But your statement is and was based on nothing but your personal preferences.
    I really don't like all those black interfaces, maybe they work fine for bling bling people, but I really like the plain Office look and feel more.
    All these graphic tools use their own definitions of windows, buttons and all other controls, instead relying on the Windows GUI guide style.

I've a software product which is written in VB6 which is business software and is used by more than 1000 users in all parts of the world.
    And it happens to have an Office 2016 Ribbon interface for it's main menu, so it doesn't look like Win 3.11 or Windows 95, but that doesn't say anything about the functionality and usefulness of an application.

As long as it runs on current versions of Windows is not outdated technology.

PowerPoster

But your statement is and was based on nothing but your personal preferences.
    I really don't like all those black interfaces, maybe they work fine for bling bling people, but I really like the plain Office look and feel more.
    All these graphic tools use their own definitions of windows, buttons and all other controls, instead relying on the Windows GUI guide style.

I've a software product which is written in VB6 which is business software and is used by more than 1000 users in all parts of the world.
    And it happens to have an Office 2016 Ribbon interface for it's main menu, so it doesn't look like Win 3.11 or Windows 95, but that doesn't say anything about the functionality and usefulness of an application.

As long as it runs on current versions of Windows is not outdated technology.
    I just said that Colibrico's UI is very cool, very professional, it reminded me of PhotoShop. But I didn't say that I like the black UI.

In addition, since RC5 can make such a very cool and very professional black UI, it can also make many very cool and very professional other colors UIs. The angles of the two of us looking at the problem are different.

My software UI is simple, flat (without using any third-party controls) and allows the user to choose different skin colors.

PowerPoster

Here is the Aqua-Button (Anti-Aliased, Alpha Channel, layered transparency) I developed with pure GDI 10 years ago. It took me two months. But Olaf only took a few minutes to make a similar button with RC5.

What I want to say is that if you want to make high-quality software, then RC5 can save you 30-40% of the workload. RC5 not only has Cairo, but many other useful things. Could you help me find a development tool that can replace RC5? I'm willing to pay for it. My requirements for software quality may far exceed your imagination.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dreammanor; Aug 20th, 2018 at 07:39 AM.

It's not that I'm not willing to help you, it's just not within the scope of my development ideas.
    I'm against using self designed/painted user interfaces.
    Back in the 90s I wrote software for the Atari ST, everything on the screen was then painted by the software (or images where used).

When I started using RAD like VB5/6 it was possible to focus more on the functionality instead spending days on a simple or shiny UI.

I use a lot of external (commercial) ActiveX controls, like controls from ComponentOne and CodeJock.

My requirements for software quality may far exceed your imagination.
    Then start by writing them down...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast